• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema Wins Arizona Senate Race

Awesome. Worst-case we only lose two seats now.

Yup

Come 2020 the GOP will have 20 Senate seats to defend, they should be concerned.

Hopefully, she can keep her promise on being a moderate. I suspect her extremist background will show itself as a Senator.
Depends what you mean by extremist.

If you mean progressive, I damn well hope so.

If you mean something else, it depends.

Depends what you mean by extremist.

If you mean progressive, I damn well hope so.

If you mean something else, it depends.

She kind of sickens me when she showed concerned for child molesters.

In a February 2007 state House hearing when she was an Arizona legislator, Sinema raised concerns about a bill that toughened penalties against individuals soliciting prostitutes, saying, "I don't think that's fair."

As a former social worker at an elementary school, she said there were "children at my school who were 12, 13 years old and some of these children looked older than me."

Sinema added that she had "real concern" for individuals who solicited child prostitution and could face a class 2 felony for "unknowingly soliciting sex from a 12-year-old who appeared to be a 20-year-old."

https://www.azfamily.com/news/attac...cle_f88d5192-e2b5-5577-92f7-47402264bcd3.html

She kind of sickens me when she showed concerned for child molesters.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/attac...cle_f88d5192-e2b5-5577-92f7-47402264bcd3.html
That's a potentially valid point she has.
It's in theory possible for an underage female to appear older than the age of consent.

And since punishment takes into account intent, it would seem to make sense that someone who had no intention of soliciting sex from an underage person should not automatically face charges for doing that.

I'd have to look into the details to be more sure, but it sounds like she had questions about or opposed the bill because she thought the additional penalties were not fair/just.

It's been trending that way for days, every time I looked at the vote count on the NYTimes site (which I think gets it's data from AP, but not sure) it was a bigger margin for Sinema.

Mail in votes or some such.
Yeah, it wasn’t much of a surprise. Just glad it’s done and she won. Mississippi may be winnable too, after Hyde-Smith’s huge foot in mouth moment. Amazing how just plain stupid people can be. One of those moments she let her guard down and let the inner bigot out.

Yeah, it wasn’t much of a surprise. Just glad it’s done and she won. Mississippi may be winnable too, after Hyde-Smith’s huge foot in mouth moment. Amazing how just plain stupid people can be. One of those moments she let her guard down and let the inner bigot out.
I'm wondering about Florida, The Scott/Nelson race was damned close in vote count last I checked.

I suppose we'll know more on or before Thursday.

Hopefully she does exactly as the people of Arizona that voted for her want her to do.
If they wanted a moderate hopefully that's what they voted for if they wanted a liberal and hopefully thats what they voted for

Hopefully, she can keep her promise on being a moderate. I suspect her extremist background will show itself as a Senator.
She will need to moderate to maintain support. AZ is shifting blue, slowly. Of course Trump has helped too.

If Scott didn't end the count in FL, I think there's some possibility it would only be one seat lost.

I'm wondering about Florida, The Scott/Nelson race was damned close in vote count last I checked.
Very close. If Nelson does well with Broward and Palm Beach (IIRC) he might pull off a narrow victory.

If Scott didn't end the count in FL, I think there's some possibility it would only be one seat lost.
Still waiting on the recount, but as I understand they rarely overturn results.

As of just now when I checked the NYTimes website, Scott was up 4,098,098 (50.1%) to Nelson's 4,085,562 (49.9%).
A margin of 12,536 votes.

I'm not sure what you mean by stop the count, it's required by law that they recount.

When Scott is using his powers as the Governor to send state troops out to commandeer voting machines and ballots of recounts in a Senate race in which he is a candidate, I think we can safely say the fix is in; all he has to do is find an amenable judge, because 2/3-3/4 of votes coming out of Broward/Palm Beach counties will be democratic; and he knows it.

Frankly, this isn't going to change much. The race was for Flake's seat and he was one of the least reliable GOP senate votes out there. This result will be merely an incremental tilt to the left.

He voted for Kavanaugh (NOT to reopen that debate.) She would not have.

Remember, this state served as a kind of laboratory for Trumpism. He gave his big immigration speech there in 2016. He pardoned local racist Arpaio. This seat was open precisely because Flake was hounded out of the Senate for not being worshipful enough of Trump.

And he went and lost it.
Laboratory is a good analogy. No doubt Trump pardoning Arpile (purposeful misspelling) was a political move. A dumb political move considering how unpopular Arpile has become throughout AZ and especially in Maricopa County. Had Flake grown and exercised a spine he would have survived. Just as well to cut the weak ones loose anyways because politics in the age of Trump is only going to get uglier before it gets better.

Frankly, this isn't going to change much. The race was for Flake's seat and he was one of the least reliable GOP senate votes out there. This result will be merely an incremental tilt to the left.

Was he? I know he was vocally against Trump a lot of the time. But I'm having a hard time recalling a time he voted differently than the majority of Republicans except for an immigration bill and that he's voted against budgets that add to the deficit since he was a congressman. I know he was a yes on Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, every cabinet official, the tax bill, net neutrality repeal, and the Obamacare repeal.

That's just what I remember offhand though so I could easily be missing things he voted differently on.

Still waiting on the recount, but as I understand they rarely overturn results.

As of just now when I checked the NYTimes website, Scott was up 4,098,098 (50.1%) to Nelson's 4,085,562 (49.9%).
A margin of 12,536 votes.

I'm not sure what you mean by stop the count, it's required by law that they recount.

Haven't you heard? Trump demanded that the recount stop because of "massive fraud" and that the vote count from election day must be certified!

So, that's that, right? I'm sure he'll be signing an Executive Order shortly, lol! :lol:

If you don't like family values, why do you support tRump?

But Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.....

We're not talking about Trump. We're talking about Sinema. And Sinema is opposed to stiffer penalties for child sex freaks.

Back
Top Bottom