• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Josh Harder Defeats GOP U.S. Rep. Denham in California House Race

According to Politico, Dems have won 230 seats with 6 races uncalled at this point.
A couple more seats likely to go to the Dems in Cali. and Repub Mia Love trails in Utah.
Maybe not a blue tsunami, but a pretty big blue storm-surge imho.

Democrats were able to pick up seats that had been held by Republicans for over 52 years

good. the fewer Trumpist representatives, the better. i still think that the Democrats should clean house where leadership is concerned, though. they need to build the bench right now. it's critical that they make gains again in 2020, including and especially winning the presidency.

good. the fewer Trumpist representatives, the better. i still think that the Democrats should clean house where leadership is concerned, though. they need to build the bench right now. it's critical that they make gains again in 2020, including and especially winning the presidency.

Supposedly, Nancy Pelosi is only going to serve as speaker of the house for two years and then allow her successor take over.

4 out of the 6 Races Going Democrat...Both GOP candidates in So Cal have seen their leads evaporate....Possibly a Plus 8 for Democrats in California...Add on another possible win when a special election is called in District 50 after GOP candidate is sent to jail....The Blue Wave was real

Supposedly, Nancy Pelosi is only going to serve as speaker of the house for two years and then allow her successor take over.

there aren't many corporations in the country whose upper management would survive the kind of losses that this party has endured. they came within a hair of being gerrymandered out of existence, and it could still happen. utter disgust with Trump helped them through their lack of effective messaging. i don't want to count on that as the only tool to fight Trumpism in 2020.

there aren't many corporations in the country whose upper management would survive the kind of losses that this party has endured. they came within a hair of being gerrymandered out of existence, and it could still happen. utter disgust with Trump helped them through their lack of effective messaging. i don't want to count on that as the only tool to fight Trumpism in 2020.

One could argue that it was the democrats focus on healthcare that helped them regain control of the house

Yes, It Was A Blue Wave

And Democrats won the House popular vote by 6.8 percentage points, according to preliminary data from the Cook Political Report. And Cook’s Dave Wasserman thinks continued vote-counting in California should bring Democrats to well over 7 points. That would be the third-highest popular vote margin of any election since 1992 (behind Democrats in 2006 and 2008).​

And GOP gerrymandering saved them from the will of the people in even more races.

In at least three states, Republicans won House while losing popular vote

Majorities of voters in at least three battleground states - Pennsylvania, Michigan and North Carolina — chose a Democrat to represent them in the state's House of Representatives. Yet in all three states, Republicans maintained majority control over the chamber despite winning only a minority of votes.​

According to Politico, Dems have won 230 seats with 6 races uncalled at this point.
A couple more seats likely to go to the Dems in Cali. and Repub Mia Love trails in Utah.
Maybe not a blue tsunami, but a pretty big blue storm-surge imho.

Yes - it wasn't a blue tsunami but it was definitely a blue wave. But we'll let trump and his supporters think they won the mid-terms.

One could argue that it was the democrats focus on healthcare that helped them regain control of the house

it probably played a role. however, this election was mostly about polarization and motivation to oppose or support Trump, IMO.

It wasn't just healthcare. I think it was also the deep hatred for trump and the republican toadies who let him do whatever he liked. A lot of Americans wanted some checks and balances back in government. Whenever the republicans hold all three levels of government they always abuse their position. Democrats - stupidly or morally - still try to work with the a-holes on the other side.

Yes, It Was A Blue Wave

And Democrats won the House popular vote by 6.8 percentage points, according to preliminary data from the Cook Political Report. And Cook’s Dave Wasserman thinks continued vote-counting in California should bring Democrats to well over 7 points. That would be the third-highest popular vote margin of any election since 1992 (behind Democrats in 2006 and 2008).​

And GOP gerrymandering saved them from the will of the people in even more races.

In at least three states, Republicans won House while losing popular vote

Majorities of voters in at least three battleground states - Pennsylvania, Michigan and North Carolina — chose a Democrat to represent them in the state's House of Representatives. Yet in all three states, Republicans maintained majority control over the chamber despite winning only a minority of votes.​

i'm aware of what the Trumpist party is doing when it comes to gerrymandering and voter suppression efforts.

No surprise. The GOP left conservatism some time ago.

How so? They still seem to keep the free enterprise faith. Inconsistently and hypocritically in my biased view, but don’t look for them to raise the min wage anytime soon, for example.

Yes - it wasn't a blue tsunami but it was definitely a blue wave. But we'll let trump and his supporters think they won the mid-terms.

I think GOPers are claiming victory because the Repubs held the Senate.
However, just off the top of my head, the GOP lost a reliable senate vote in Arizona.
In Utah, voters replaced surefire Trump supporter Orrin Hatch with squishy RINO Mitt Romney.
The GOP hold on the Senate may be more tenuous than before the election.

4 out of the 6 Races Going Democrat...Both GOP candidates in So Cal have seen their leads evaporate....Possibly a Plus 8 for Democrats in California...Add on another possible win when a special election is called in District 50 after GOP candidate is sent to jail....The Blue Wave was real

Well, the news out of Cali isn't all bad.
Reliable Trump fluffer, Devin Nunes, managed to hold onto his seat.
Of course, since he'll lose his chairmanship to Adam Schiff, the White House may not want him to hang out in the shrubbery anymore.

I've heard that rumor, too.

How so? They still seem to keep the free enterprise faith. Inconsistently and hypocritically in my biased view, but don’t look for them to raise the min wage anytime soon, for example.

They talk free enterprise but they often don't fully support it. Economically they lean toward raw capitalism.

I agree with you that the GOP will not raise minimum wage anytime soon. In fact, I suspect that the Trump GOP (the other GOP is dead) will become more fascist in the near future as real conservatives have left the party. With the midterm slaughter the "Republicans" who remain are more likely ideologues and religionists. I expect the "Freedom" Caucus to make more noise and attempt to have greater influence in the "Republican" Party.

Back
Top Bottom