• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democrat Culture of Corruption Continues to Grow

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Former Conyers aides press ethics complaints
By Jonathan E. Kaplan
Two former aides to Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) have alleged that he repeatedly violated House ethics rules.
Deanna Maher, a former deputy chief of staff in Conyers’s Detroit office, and Sydney Rooks, a former legal counsel in the district office, provided evidence for the allegations by sharing numerous letters, memorandums and copies of e-mails, handwritten notes and expense reports with The Hill.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/030106/news2.html

Like I said previously those who scream the loudest and ususally the most guilty, Conyers like Reid fits that to a tee.

forced them to baby-sit and chauffeur his children

Rooks counter-sued Conyers (on another matter). While the judge ruled in her favor, her suit was dismissed because she did not appear at a hearing

Maher has not taken any legal action against Conyers :yawn:

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

:sinking: :2rofll: :monkey

Stinger said:
Former Conyers aides press ethics complaints
By Jonathan E. Kaplan
Two former aides to Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) have alleged that he repeatedly violated House ethics rules.
Deanna Maher, a former deputy chief of staff in Conyers’s Detroit office, and Sydney Rooks, a former legal counsel in the district office, provided evidence for the allegations by sharing numerous letters, memorandums and copies of e-mails, handwritten notes and expense reports with The Hill.

Like I said previously those who scream the loudest and ususally the most guilty, Conyers like Reid fits that to a tee.

You're kidding me with this story right? Seriously, bring it on. Babysittergate? Chauffeurgate? Kind of has a nice ring.....

Wait a minute....The Dukester just got.... 100 months? ? ?

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN, THE SKIES ARE F-ING CLEAR AGAIN!

There are no House Ethics rules anymore. The Ethics committe doesn't even exist, but by all means - go for it.

BWG said:
forced them to baby-sit and chauffeur his children

Which would be using paid government staff for his personal usage and unethical let alone an insult to these career people who certainly felt they would be fired if they did sucomb to his demands.

And of course there is this

"They also charge that some aides illegally used Conyers’s congressional offices to enrich themselves."

or this

"“I could not tolerate any longer being involved with continual unethical, if not criminal, practices which were accepted as ‘business as usual,’” Maher wrote in a letter to the ethics panel dated Jan. 13, 2006."

or this

"In her Jan. 13 letter, Maher recapped a previous allegation she had made that DeWayne Boyd, a former top aide to Conyers, used Conyers’s congressional office to obtain a fake passport after being convicted of fraud, making false statements and government theft in 2004. Sentenced in 2005 to 30 to 46 months in prison, Boyd fled to Ghana before being recaptured and extradited to the United States."

or these

• In 2002, Conyers’s aides in D.C. were sent to Detroit to help his wife, Monica, win a state Senate seat. While she lost that election, she won a seat last year on the Detroit City Council.
• On June 2, 2003, Conyers forced Maher to spend a day campaigning for Keith Williams, who won a seat on the Wayne County Commission. She became fed up and drove off after going door to door to distribute campaign literature for a few blocks.
• Carol Patton, a legislative counsel on Conyers’s personal staff, was hired in 2003 to help Williams and to help JoAnn Watson in her bid for Detroit City Council. Patton still works for Conyers and earns more than $44,000 per year, according to the 2005 House statement of disbursements.
• In a Dec. 22, 2004, letter, Maher said Conyers staffer Melody Light “conducts her law practice (charging legal fees) out of the congressional office. … She has in effect hung out her shingle on [Conyers’s] office door.”

So between Jefferson and Conyers and Reid it seems the culture just keeps on growing.

hipsterdufus said:
You're kidding me with this story right? Seriously, bring it on. Babysittergate? Chauffeurgate? Kind of has a nice ring.....

So using paid congressional staffers to chauffeur your children and babysit is OK with you? Insulting these accomplished people and treating them as yoru private servants is OK. How about the rest of the allegations.

Wait a minute....The Dukester just got.... 100 months? ? ?

And Jefferson is probably next.

There are no House Ethics rules anymore. The Ethics committe doesn't even exist, but by all means - go for it.

There are rules and there is an investigative body, you need to read the entire article.

hipsterdufus said:
You're kidding me with this story right? Seriously, bring it on.
Culture of Corruption is a perfectly acceptable smear when hipster throws it at the Bush administration. It's funny, however, that hipster suddenly spits bile when it's used against him and his party.

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
Agreed. Ethics rules, thus violations, only apply to those in charge. Pick
a party any time in history and that pretty much holds true.

Don't read this wrong. Both parties have their share of violations and
corrupt bozos even when they're "out of power," so to speak.

I'd go 50-50 for ethics violations and corruption.

I doubt it's any coincidence that Conyers has held several meetings with families of dead soldiers from the Iraq war, both domestic and foreign, and has impeachment hearings pending down the road on Bush and Rumsfeld and Cheney.

This is a dirty tactic from Rove to get those persons who would spoil his power. Rove did it to McCain during the 2000 primaries.

Sad thing for Bush..people are used to this sleaze and more and more are not tolerating it anymore.

More Kool aide anyone? Talk about towing the party line until someone chokes. This is one of the things about libs that I really find funny. You got info on DeLay? Fine. Lets let the court decide. We stay out of it, and if he is found guilty, send him up the creek.
Impeachment? I believe there is an old phrase about sh!t or get off the pot. If you have evidence, then do something, otherwise, quit trying to deflect the criminality of what the dem did and just state if he is guilty, then to hell with him.
As for impeachment, it brings to mind chicken little or the boy who cried wolf. I don't think most people even pay it any attention anymore.

Cookie Parker said:
I doubt it's any coincidence that Conyers has held several meetings with families of dead soldiers from the Iraq war, both domestic and foreign, and has impeachment hearings pending down the road on Bush and Rumsfeld and Cheney.

Oh you aren't serious. This has come from within his own office, read the story. Trying to blame it on Bush is absurd.

Stinger said:
Oh you aren't serious. This has come from within his own office, read the story. Trying to blame it on Bush is absurd.
How dare you criticize the Democrats game plan. "Blaming Bush" is the crux of their platform.

KCConservative said:
How dare you criticize the Democrats game plan. "Blaming Bush" is the crux of their platform.

According to Terry McAwful you are correct.

As testament to my own ignorance, I can honestly say I had no idea who Coyer was before stumbling upon this thread.

Is this because of the liberal media who are trying to destroy America?

There is nothing new about this sort of behavior on either side. Calling this the "Democrat culture of corruption" shows a lack of imagination and understanding of history.

Back
Top Bottom