• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democracy in Hong Kong Slain

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“The law is devastating in that it appears to have no bounds,” said Sophie Richardson, the China director at Human Rights Watch. “Hong Kong activists, accustomed to operating in mostly rights-respecting environment, now face a frightening void.”

China'''s National Security Law for Hong Kong, Explained - The New York Times

It's a sad day.

The communist past a huge and vague law that basically allows the Chinese communist party to do whatever it wants to whoever it wants.

Jail terms are 10 years to life for something as little as spraying graffiti on a building.

Of course, the communists are trying to blame America for everything. Not like people don't want to naturally live free.

It’s very sad.

I lived with and have known many from Hong Kong in my life.

This kills me, I can only imagine how many of them must feel.

Glory to Hong Kong.

A beautiful city torn apart by the iron-fisted Chinese.

China deserves nothing but scorn. The last couple of years, the real face of China has emerged, from their treatment of the Uighurs to their attempted suppression of info on COVID to this.

Trump has put China in a VERY bad position. We see part of their reaction in this latest action in Hong Kong. The problem...for them...is that this action of their's helps Trump put them in an even worse position.

Here is Commerce Secretary Ross talking about this issue, among others.

There will likely be a stampede of corporations OUT of Hong Kong.

Any future for democracy in Hong Kong died when it was handed over to China, this is just one of the final nails in the coffin.

This was foreseeable from the day the Brits left. The only question was when. Sad but not a surprise.

Why this astonishes anybody is quite beyond me. The West has become exactly the paper tiger that the Beijing-inspired H.K. rioters of the mid sixties were chanting about then.

Had Zhou Enlai not vetoed the plan of Huang Yong Sheng (commander of the military in Canton/Guangzhou) to invade in force, China could have taken the whole colony in1967 already.

But cooler heads saw the need for the "business window to the world" then.

Nowadays that window is no longer needed since China not only has plenty of others, but also has the West breaking down its doors in frenzied attempts to enter and participate in its wealth.

And once the crocodile tears that are currently shed have dried, it'll be business as usual.

Why this astonishes anybody is quite beyond me. The West has become exactly the paper tiger that the Beijing-inspired H.K. rioters of the mid sixties were chanting about then.

Had Zhou Enlai not vetoed the plan of Huang Yong Sheng (commander of the military in Canton/Guangzhou) to invade in force, China could have taken the whole colony in1967 already.

But cooler heads saw the need for the "business window to the world" then.

Nowadays that window is no longer needed since China not only has plenty of others, but also has the West breaking down its doors in frenzied attempts to enter and participate in its wealth.

And once the crocodile tears that are currently shed have dried, it'll be business as usual.

The next question is whether resistance to China will coalesce around Taiwan and the South China Sea.

Trump has put China in a VERY bad position. We see part of their reaction in this latest action in Hong Kong. The problem...for them...is that this action of their's helps Trump put them in an even worse position.

Here is Commerce Secretary Ross talking about this issue, among others.

There will likely be a stampede of corporations OUT of Hong Kong.

Is this the same Wilbur Ross?

Wilbur Ross Claims Coronavirus Will Be Good For American Jobs

Maybe, and maybe not. China may take full possession of Hong Kong, but they may find the act of doing so turns it into an empty hollowed out shell. I expect a massive brain drain from the HKSAR as the best and brightest leave for the UK or Taiwan or even the US.

We should pass legislation to make it easier for Hong Kongers to immigrate to the USA.

Last edited:
BTW, the English text of the law is available here:
English translation of the Law of the People's Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Xinhua | English.news.cn

My favorite part of the new security law, Articles 37 and 38:

Article 37 This Law shall apply to a person who is a permanent resident of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or an incorporated or unincorporated body such as a company or an organisation which is set up in the Region if the person or the body commits an offence under this Law outside the Region.

Article 38 This Law shall apply to offences under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.

Wait, "outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region"? Is the CCP asserting that anyone, anywhere on the planet can no longer advocate for Hong Kong independence? WTF?

It's a sad day.

The communist past a huge and vague law that basically allows the Chinese communist party to do whatever it wants to whoever it wants.

Jail terms are 10 years to life for something as little as spraying graffiti on a building.

Of course, the communists are trying to blame America for everything. Not like people don't want to naturally live free.

It is very sad, my heart goes out to those people. :(

BTW, the English text of the law is available here:
English translation of the Law of the People's Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Xinhua | English.news.cn

My favorite part of the new security law, Articles 37 and 38:

Wait, "outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region"? Is the CCP asserting that anyone, anywhere on the planet can no longer advocate for Hong Kong independence? WTF?

Yep, the CCP is claiming jurisdiction over the entire world's population.

It's a sad day.

Add to that the extermination efforts of the Uighur people, and I'll argue that losing control of China is Trump's greatest failure as president.

Remember, he approved of the concentration camps for the Muslim minority. And, I suspect, he is not too upset about the crackdown in Hong Kong. He sure as hell hasn't tweeted about it much, if at all. Ah, maybe golfing got in the way.

Today is the 365th day Trump has spent at one of his golf courses. An entire year!

The US state Department expressed unconditional support for the Hong Kong protesters and assured that it will not allow them to develop together with China, but on the contrary, it will help them find the same freedom as the residents of Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria

Trump: "Obama freely allowed China to rob our factories and steal our most valuable secrets"
And why doesn't Trump say that american companies themselves, voluntarily, built these factories in China, for the sake of getting super profits and spitting on their own people, leaving them without work?

Trump: "Obama freely allowed China to rob our factories and steal our most valuable secrets"
And why doesn't Trump say that american companies themselves, voluntarily, built these factories in China, for the sake of getting super profits and spitting on their own people, leaving them without work?

Those factories in China enabled the low-cost goods that supported a higher standard of living for many Americans.

May be true, but sorry, I find your post a little bit cynical because of the people living there and their personal fates

Sweden joins France and Germany to assess measures against China in Hong Kong | FR24 News English

I hope it´s not only big mouth...
To paraphrase: a cynic is an idealist who has grown up.

That said, I don't like it either but I've lived long enough and seen enough to know that (eventually) "that's the way the cookie crumbles".

When Germany scraps Nordstream over Crimea, over murder of dissidents on Moscow's streets, over state assassins in the UK, over civil war in Eastern Ukraine, over slaughter of civilians in Syria.........................THEN we can talk.

Goes for all the other money-grabbing thugs of this world as well, irrespective of whether they're "ours" or "them over there".

Those factories in China enabled the low-cost goods that supported a higher standard of living for many Americans.
Great show: export our jobs to cause destitution and then sell the cheap crap we can peddle to the thus dis-enfranchised as a means of having raised their standard of living.

I have an opera house in Sydney going cheap, you interested?

Great show: export our jobs to cause destitution and then sell the cheap crap we can peddle to the thus dis-enfranchised as a means of having raised their standard of living.

I have an opera house in Sydney going cheap, you interested?

Free trade enriches all participants.

It's a sad day.

Is there any surprise to this though? This is pretty much what commies do.

It's a sad day.

When Hong Kong was returned to China, nobody expected China to keep Hong Kong a democracy for the next 50 years. Protests in Hong Kong grew increasingly violent and President Xi is the worst dictator China had since Mao. He does not allow pro-democracy protesters to take over streets, staging violent protests. His predecessor was a decent individual who could be treated with respect by the West. But under President Xi, China is becoming Communist China again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom