• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Demand for This Toad’s Psychedelic Venom Is Booming. Some Warn That’s Bad for the Toad.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

In a sign of unintended consequences of the psychedelic resurgence, scientists say that the Sonoran desert toad is at risk of population collapse.

TUCSON, Ariz. — After multiple combat tours as a Navy SEAL, Marcus Capone tried talk therapy. Brain-injury clinics. Prescription drugs. Nothing worked to ease his crippling depression and anxiety.

Then he smoked the venom of the Sonoran desert toad.

“I saw why they call this the ‘God molecule’ after I got a full central nervous system reset,” said Mr. Capone, 45, who now runs a nonprofit with his wife helping hundreds of other Special Operations veterans access toad medicine.

Riding the wave of greater mainstream acceptance of psychedelics for treating mental disorders and addiction, a fast-growing retreat industry is touting the potential of the toad’s secretions. People pay anywhere from $250 for a ceremony in the East Texas woods to $8,500 for a more gilded beachfront setting in Tulum, Mexico, to consume the venom.
===========================================================
Toads produce toxins in their venoms. In the case of this endangered species, one of the toxins is N,N-dimethyltryptamine or DMT. The high is quick & powerful but lasts less than hour. I asked once at an exotic animal store in CA & was told that these toads are not commercially available. DMT is relatively easy to make in a lab.

Very interesting. The BBC has a good take on these guys. (Not trying to step on your post but this is fascinating also) :) >>

No problem. They'll farm raise the toads.

I used to travel to San Diego where I would weekend in Tijuana. I had ready access to both legal & illegal drugs like crack & pot. My regular cab driver had great connections. But I was never offered toad venom. Or 'shrooms. Odd.

In a sign of unintended consequences of the psychedelic resurgence, scientists say that the Sonoran desert toad is at risk of population collapse.

TUCSON, Ariz. — After multiple combat tours as a Navy SEAL, Marcus Capone tried talk therapy. Brain-injury clinics. Prescription drugs. Nothing worked to ease his crippling depression and anxiety.

Then he smoked the venom of the Sonoran desert toad.

“I saw why they call this the ‘God molecule’ after I got a full central nervous system reset,” said Mr. Capone, 45, who now runs a nonprofit with his wife helping hundreds of other Special Operations veterans access toad medicine.

Riding the wave of greater mainstream acceptance of psychedelics for treating mental disorders and addiction, a fast-growing retreat industry is touting the potential of the toad’s secretions. People pay anywhere from $250 for a ceremony in the East Texas woods to $8,500 for a more gilded beachfront setting in Tulum, Mexico, to consume the venom.
===========================================================
Toads produce toxins in their venoms. In the case of this endangered species, one of the toxins is N,N-dimethyltryptamine or DMT. The high is quick & powerful but lasts less than hour. I asked once at an exotic animal store in CA & was told that these toads are not commercially available. DMT is relatively easy to make in a lab.

You start doing that stuff and everything gets a little WEIRD....ya know?

No problem. They'll farm raise the toads.
DMT would be cheap to make in a Mexican lab but that would be volume & price dependant. I don't think DMT will become a street drug so availability will always be spotty.

Frog ranches are hard to hide.

I used to travel to San Diego where I would weekend in Tijuana. I had ready access to both legal & illegal drugs like crack & pot. My regular cab driver had great connections. But I was never offered toad venom. Or 'shrooms. Odd.

My guess is that Bufo is only recently becoming popular and, why would a supplier bother with mushrooms when LSD, etc. is much cheaper and more easily transported/hidden?

DMT would be cheap to make in a Mexican lab but that would be volume & price dependant. I don't think DMT will become a street drug so availability will always be spotty.

Frog ranches are hard to hide.

I agree. My comment was more tongue-in-cheek.

Back
Top Bottom