• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dem dels clash at NV convention... 'we need a medic!' barbara boxer booed...

You forgot Baltimore , Detroit , Cincinnati , Birmingham Alabama , Oakland California , St Louis , Tennessee , Little Rock Arkansas , .................etc. :lamo

Wrong answer. Why? Because if those cities are SO bad, if that's where most of the problem really was, then Maryland and Illinois and Michigan (where Baltimore, Chicago, and Detroit are, respectively) would be right at the very top of the list of states by homicide rates.

But they're not. The top four are Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and South Carolina. Maryland is fifth, followed by (in order):

Nevada
Delaware
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee

Out of the worst eleven states for homicides, only two are blue states (in 5th and 8th place)...all the rest are RED states...and all but one of those are in the mostly-rural (and VERY gun-friendly) Deep South.

So don't give me this claptrap that it's all because of the cities...because if the problem was the cities, then the highest homicide rates would be found in the states with the biggest cities. Instead, we see how New York (at 3.1/100K) has a homicide rate LESS THAN ONE THIRD that of Louisiana (10.3/100K). Even California (at 4.4/100K) - remember, the home of SF, LA, Oakland, and Compton - is LESS THAN ONE HALF that of Louisiana.

You didn't know any of that, did you? For some reason, Fox News never, ever happens to mention that the deadliest states to live in are almost all RED states, do they? Oh, no, they're SO eager to tell you how violent those oh-so-liberal (and minority-heavy) places are, but they don't want you to see what the actual numbers, the actual hard data say, do they?

And it's crap like this that convinced me to leave the GOP over twenty years ago...because I saw that they were lying through their teeth, and they didn't care that they were lying through their teeth, as long as they won.

Wrong answer. Why? Because if those cities are SO bad, if that's where most of the problem really was, then Maryland and Illinois and Michigan (where Baltimore, Chicago, and Detroit are, respectively) would be right at the very top of the list of states by homicide rates.

But they're not. The top four are Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and South Carolina. Maryland is fifth, followed by (in order):

Nevada
Delaware
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee

Out of the worst eleven states for homicides, only two are blue states (in 5th and 8th place)...all the rest are RED states...and all but one of those are in the mostly-rural (and VERY gun-friendly) Deep South.

So don't give me this claptrap that it's all because of the cities...because if the problem was the cities, then the highest homicide rates would be found in the states with the biggest cities. Instead, we see how New York (at 3.1/100K) has a homicide rate LESS THAN ONE THIRD that of Louisiana (10.3/100K). Even California (at 4.4/100K) - remember, the home of SF, LA, Oakland, and Compton - is LESS THAN ONE HALF that of Louisiana.

You didn't know any of that, did you? For some reason, Fox News never, ever happens to mention that the deadliest states to live in are almost all RED states, do they? Oh, no, they're SO eager to tell you how violent those oh-so-liberal (and minority-heavy) places are, but they don't want you to see what the actual numbers, the actual hard data say, do they?

And it's crap like this that convinced me to leave the GOP over twenty years ago...because I saw that they were lying through their teeth, and they didn't care that they were lying through their teeth, as long as they won.

Right answer , just not the one you care to hear !!! :shock: The liberal Democrats screw up every City they control !! :roll:

Right answer , just not the one you care to hear !!! :shock: The liberal Democrats screw up every City they control !! :roll:

And that explains the much-higher homicide rates in red states...how?

Ah. It DOESN'T.

And you dare not try to give a straight answer, because you know what the answers must be, and you know that those answers are the answers you must not give because they would destroy your claims...and you know it.

Well, if you're talking about cities like Chicago, Baltimore, or Detroit where all of the Democrats are you're looking at a lot of crime. It drops when you go statewide and throw the Republicans into the mix. I mean, in Michigan the crime rate in the northern part of the state or on the Upper Peninsula is almost non-existent, but then that's not where the Democrats are.

Nevada
Delaware
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee

If you really want to play a dumb game, look up black populations in those states, most of those have the heaviest concentrations of black people, and also make the highest homicide rate for states.

I guess you should rephrase it states with high black populations top homicide rates. Fyi the rural in those states means little, like birmingham al or atant ga, even the most rural states have heavily populated cities, which is usually where most their crime comes from. Where I live the black population is very high, but crime is nearly non existent, the neighboring city has a slightly higher black population, but is one of the most crime ridden cities in texas. The difference being rural vs city.

"This is a citizen of the United States of America and I just wanted to let you know that I think people like you should be hung in a public execution :shock: to show this world that we won't stand for this sort of corruption," an unidentified male caller said on the message, provided to CNN and other news outlets. "I don't know what kind of money they are paying to you, but I don't know how you sleep at night. You are a sick, twisted piece of s--- and I hope you burn for this! .... :shock: You cowardless b---, running off the stage! I hope people find you." :shock:

Dems' new fear: Sanders revolt could upend Democratic convention - CNNPolitics.com

So, citizen of the United States of America and presumed Bernie supporter, tell us how you really feel. Is that what you mean by "Feel the Bern!" :lamo (Special thanks to the, um, angry (Democrat?) citizen who posted Nevada Democratic Party Chairwoman Roberta Lange's phone number and address on social media.)

If you really want to play a dumb game, look up black populations in those states, most of those have the heaviest concentrations of black people, and also make the highest homicide rate for states.

I guess you should rephrase it states with high black populations top homicide rates. Fyi the rural in those states means little, like birmingham al or atant ga, even the most rural states have heavily populated cities, which is usually where most their crime comes from. Where I live the black population is very high, but crime is nearly non existent, the neighboring city has a slightly higher black population, but is one of the most crime ridden cities in texas. The difference being rural vs city.

If you were half as objective as you seem to think you are, then you'd go look at several of those high-homicide-rate Red states and see if there as "black" as you seem to think. States like Alaska and West Virginia. What's more, if you'll check, while blacks do tend to congregate in urban areas, if this were really the source of the high homicide rates, then blue states would have higher homicide rates.

Which is why I pointed out New York City - you know, the home of a place called Harlem - has a homicide rate of just over HALF that of Louisiana.

So...NO, guy, it ain't color.

And here's a shock for you - it ain't political lean, either. The high homicide rates - along with all the other metrics that are generally worse in Red states - have little to do with political lean, but have EVERYTHING to do with level of poverty. The poorer the state, the lower the standard of living...the higher the homicide rate for the state. THAT, sir, is why so much of the Deep South is there, along with not-very-black-at-all Alaska. This is not a hard-and-fast rule - there will be statistical outliers - but the main reason is the level of poverty, the lower standard of living.

Supporters of Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed in Las Vegas on Saturday and it got so out of hand, cops descended on the ballroom and threatened arrests.

Convention attendee and YouTube user Anie H. posted several photos of the action, as announcements were made over the loud speaker to leave the Paris Hotel or risk being arrested.
'WE NEED A MEDIC!' Hillary, Bernie delegates clash at NV Dem convention - The American MirrorThe American Mirror

Chaos At Nevada Democratic Convention As Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer

Read more: Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer At Nevada DNC Convention | The Daily Caller

Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer At Nevada DNC Convention | The Daily Caller

I've yet to see a video of violence. Just claims.

Well, if you're talking about cities like Chicago, Baltimore, or Detroit where all of the Democrats are you're looking at a lot of crime. It drops when you go statewide and throw the Republicans into the mix. I mean, in Michigan the crime rate in the northern part of the state or on the Upper Peninsula is almost non-existent, but then that's not where the Democrats are.

So...WHY, then, are most of the states with the worst homicide rates RED states, hm? And please don't try to claim that "it's the black people" like so many on the Right do, because then you have to wind up explaining why Alaska and West Virginia have high homicide rates. What's more, New York City - you know, that place where Harlem is - has a homicide rate just over HALF that of the state of Louisiana.

Answer the question - WHY are the states with the worst homicide rates generally RED states?

Here's a couple clues - it ain't color, and it ain't political lean.

If you were half as objective as you seem to think you are, then you'd go look at several of those high-homicide-rate Red states and see if there as "black" as you seem to think. States like Alaska and West Virginia. What's more, if you'll check, while blacks do tend to congregate in urban areas, if this were really the source of the high homicide rates, then blue states would have higher homicide rates.

Which is why I pointed out New York City - you know, the home of a place called Harlem - has a homicide rate of just over HALF that of Louisiana.

So...NO, guy, it ain't color.

And here's a shock for you - it ain't political lean, either. The high homicide rates - along with all the other metrics that are generally worse in Red states - have little to do with political lean, but have EVERYTHING to do with level of poverty. The poorer the state, the lower the standard of living...the higher the homicide rate for the state. THAT, sir, is why so much of the Deep South is there, along with not-very-black-at-all Alaska. This is not a hard-and-fast rule - there will be statistical outliers - but the main reason is the level of poverty, the lower standard of living.

New york city seems to be the outsider in homicide rates, nearly all the others have the hihest concentration of black people, and often times if the black population was removed from the equation, the homicide rate would be on par with europe.

which leads to another question, why do liberals all seem to live in rich white neighborhoods, or run down black slums. Why is it that the white liberals calling for social justice mostly live away from those people?

New york city seems to be the outsider in homicide rates, nearly all the others have the hihest concentration of black people, and often times if the black population was removed from the equation, the homicide rate would be on par with europe.

which leads to another question, why do liberals all seem to live in rich white neighborhoods, or run down black slums. Why is it that the white liberals calling for social justice mostly live away from those people?

No, NYC's, not the outlier, and is not the lowest.

Louisiana's homicide rate per 100K is 10.3. Mississippi's is 8.6, and Missouri's is 6.6 - those are the top three states.

Now let's look at some cities:

Boston - 8.1
Los Angeles - 6.7
San Francisco - 5.3
New York - 3.9
Seattle - 3.9
San Jose - 3.9
San Diego - 3.2

But I was wrong - instead of NYC's rate being just over half that of Louisiana's, NYC's actually LESS than half that of Louisiana's...and so is Seattle and San Diego and quite a few other cities that I didn't mention.

NOW to be fair, the above lists are indeed cherry-picked, because about a third of the cities on the link referenced that have significantly higher rates than Louisiana...but that also means that the other two thirds are equal or lower than Louisiana's.

What's more, if you look at Detroit on the list, the city's rate is 43-point-freaking-5 per 100K, nearly four times higher than that of Louisiana, and is one of only two cities (along with St. Louis) with a higher rate than New Orleans. Pretty bad, huh? BUT if you'll look at the entire state's rate, Michigan's homicide rate is 5.4, which is just over half of Louisiana's 10.6.

And THAT's precisely the point - while individual cities may be bad (and some certainly are), cities are the financial heart of any region or state...and the surrounding suburbs and cities are where the moneyed go, who can afford to live outside of the city...and so the surrounding suburbs and cities have MUCH lower homicide rates, and mitigate the homicide rate for the state as a whole. The homicide rates are not and have never been a matter of "red" or "blue"...but of how prosperous a state is or is not.

But what, then, is the problem with the very, very red Deep South? Why does the Deep South have a virtual lock on the highest homicide rates in the nation? Same thing - as a whole, they've got most of the states with the worst standard of living. You don't have to take my word for it - compare this list of the states with the worst standard of living to the first reference above that lists the states according to homicide rate. I know, I know, correlation does not equal causation...but when the correlation is so doggone strong, if it's not the causation, it's probably something closely related thereto.

So...if you want to slash the homicide rates, increase the standards of living. The solution (if not the implementation of that solution) really is that simple.

No, NYC's, not the outlier, and is not the lowest.

Louisiana's homicide rate per 100K is 10.3. Mississippi's is 8.6, and Missouri's is 6.6 - those are the top three states.

Now let's look at some cities:

Boston - 8.1
Los Angeles - 6.7
San Francisco - 5.3
New York - 3.9
Seattle - 3.9
San Jose - 3.9
San Diego - 3.2

But I was wrong - instead of NYC's rate being just over half that of Louisiana's, NYC's actually LESS than half that of Louisiana's...and so is Seattle and San Diego and quite a few other cities that I didn't mention.

NOW to be fair, the above lists are indeed cherry-picked, because about a third of the cities on the link referenced that have significantly higher rates than Louisiana...but that also means that the other two thirds are equal or lower than Louisiana's.

What's more, if you look at Detroit on the list, the city's rate is 43-point-freaking-5 per 100K, nearly four times higher than that of Louisiana, and is one of only two cities (along with St. Louis) with a higher rate than New Orleans. Pretty bad, huh? BUT if you'll look at the entire state's rate, Michigan's homicide rate is 5.4, which is just over half of Louisiana's 10.6.

And THAT's precisely the point - while individual cities may be bad (and some certainly are), cities are the financial heart of any region or state...and the surrounding suburbs and cities are where the moneyed go, who can afford to live outside of the city...and so the surrounding suburbs and cities have MUCH lower homicide rates, and mitigate the homicide rate for the state as a whole. The homicide rates are not and have never been a matter of "red" or "blue"...but of how prosperous a state is or is not.

But what, then, is the problem with the very, very red Deep South? Why does the Deep South have a virtual lock on the highest homicide rates in the nation? Same thing - as a whole, they've got most of the states with the worst standard of living. You don't have to take my word for it - compare this list of the states with the worst standard of living to the first reference above that lists the states according to homicide rate. I know, I know, correlation does not equal causation...but when the correlation is so doggone strong, if it's not the causation, it's probably something closely related thereto.

So...if you want to slash the homicide rates, increase the standards of living. The solution (if not the implementation of that solution) really is that simple.

The problem with the deep south is that it has a high black population per capita vs much of the country, and poor black people tend to congregate in larger cities vs rural areas, and with few urban and more rural areas in southern states, this means poverty, crime, and all other prolbems are concentrated into a handfull of cities.

The problem is made continuously worse by people downplaying the problems. for example new orleans, many after hurricane catrina moved to texas, every city those people relocated to nearly doubles or in some cases tripled in crime overnight. But because the city has a high black population, no one wants to adress the root causes of it's crime.

But when I was in south carolina, columbia was heavily black, and you would get stabbed for 5 dollars in your wallet. Outside the city was hevily black, but crime was low, people were friendly and criminal behavior was not tolerated. The real question goes down to why inner city black people have a crime culture, while rural black people do not.

So nothing like this could ever happen with Republicans. Non-violence is what Trump followers are all about. None of them have any history of doing anything violent. None at all.:lamo

Except when it's Trump backers doing it, it's a couple of loons, when it Dems. doing it, it's large scale near riots.

The problem with the deep south is that it has a high black population per capita vs much of the country, and poor black people tend to congregate in larger cities vs rural areas, and with few urban and more rural areas in southern states, this means poverty, crime, and all other prolbems are concentrated into a handfull of cities.

The problem is made continuously worse by people downplaying the problems. for example new orleans, many after hurricane catrina moved to texas, every city those people relocated to nearly doubles or in some cases tripled in crime overnight. But because the city has a high black population, no one wants to adress the root causes of it's crime.

But when I was in south carolina, columbia was heavily black, and you would get stabbed for 5 dollars in your wallet. Outside the city was hevily black, but crime was low, people were friendly and criminal behavior was not tolerated. The real question goes down to why inner city black people have a crime culture, while rural black people do not.

Ah, here we go with yet another conservative claiming "It's the blacks!!!!" Let me guess what you'll say next: "I ain't racist - I got black friends! I'm just sayin' how it really is!" You might even try, "I married a black woman - see? Here's a picture!" Never mind that such is never, ever verifiable online.

In case you're wondering, I grew up in the MS Delta in a 72%-black county - I was raised racist as all my family was, and it took me a career traveling the world in the Navy to see how incredibly wrong it is. I've yet to see another white with the breadth of experience on both sides of the story that I have. So spare me the dog-whistles, because I heard - and used - them for almost half of my life. I know them when I hear them. In fact, if you were watching ABC News last night, you would have seen a story about segregation in the schools in Cleveland, MS - I grew up about fifteen miles from there and I know the town very well indeed.

Now, to destroy your attempted point: New York has over 3M blacks, and has the 13th-highest percentage of blacks in the state population...yet it's 30th on the list of states by homicide rates (from the reference in my last comment). Alaska is 34th on the list of states by percentage-black population, yet it's 12th on the list of states by homicide rate. Nevada is 23rd on the list of states by percentage-black population, yet it's 6th on the list of states by homicide rate.

That should be enough to disprove your personal correlation-causation logical fallacy...but look back at New York - it has more blacks than Mississippi has total people, yet its homicide rate is much lower. New York City itself is 26% black...yet it has one of the lowest homicide rates of a major city in the nation.

And NONE of these could be the case if your "blacks=violence" claim held an ounce of water.

I mentioned earlier that it took me a career in the Navy traveling the world to unlearn the racism I'd been taught. By my travels, I learned that yeah, people really ARE the same all over the world, local religions and social mores notwithstanding. I suggest you go do the same, that you may learn - as I did - not only about how different cultures and peoples are...but how very similar we all are in ways you could not have expected without actually having gone there.

It's not the race, guy - it's the standard of living. If you want to cut the level of violence, raise the standard of living.

Ah, here we go with yet another conservative claiming "It's the blacks!!!!" Let me guess what you'll say next: "I ain't racist - I got black friends! I'm just sayin' how it really is!" You might even try, "I married a black woman - see? Here's a picture!" Never mind that such is never, ever verifiable online.

In case you're wondering, I grew up in the MS Delta in a 72%-black county - I was raised racist as all my family was, and it took me a career traveling the world in the Navy to see how incredibly wrong it is. I've yet to see another white with the breadth of experience on both sides of the story that I have. So spare me the dog-whistles, because I heard - and used - them for almost half of my life. I know them when I hear them. In fact, if you were watching ABC News last night, you would have seen a story about segregation in the schools in Cleveland, MS - I grew up about fifteen miles from there and I know the town very well indeed.

Now, to destroy your attempted point: New York has over 3M blacks, and has the 13th-highest percentage of blacks in the state population...yet it's 30th on the list of states by homicide rates (from the reference in my last comment). Alaska is 34th on the list of states by percentage-black population, yet it's 12th on the list of states by homicide rate. Nevada is 23rd on the list of states by percentage-black population, yet it's 6th on the list of states by homicide rate.

That should be enough to disprove your personal correlation-causation logical fallacy...but look back at New York - it has more blacks than Mississippi has total people, yet its homicide rate is much lower. New York City itself is 26% black...yet it has one of the lowest homicide rates of a major city in the nation.

And NONE of these could be the case if your "blacks=violence" claim held an ounce of water.

I mentioned earlier that it took me a career in the Navy traveling the world to unlearn the racism I'd been taught. By my travels, I learned that yeah, people really ARE the same all over the world, local religions and social mores notwithstanding. I suggest you go do the same, that you may learn - as I did - not only about how different cultures and peoples are...but how very similar we all are in ways you could not have expected without actually having gone there.

It's not the race, guy - it's the standard of living. If you want to cut the level of violence, raise the standard of living.

to defeat your argument on new york vs mississipi, mississipi has the highest nmber of black people per capita n the entire nation,Overall number in a highly populated area means little to a lesser populated state if the per capita is higher.

If you fight these statistics, you likely have never seen the south and have probably lived your entire life in a white neighborhood, or just read raw statistics and refuse to adress the variables.

to defeat your argument on new york vs mississipi, mississipi has the highest nmber of black people per capita n the entire nation,Overall number in a highly populated area means little to a lesser populated state if the per capita is higher.

If you fight these statistics, you likely have never seen the south and have probably lived your entire life in a white neighborhood, or just read raw statistics and refuse to adress the variables.

And Mississippi is also the POOREST state in the nation...which is very much in line with what I pointed out to you about the states with the lowest standard of living. AGAIN, NYC has a population that's 26% black, yet it has one of the lowest homicide rates (3.2) of major cities in the nation...whereas Miami is about 19% black, and has a homicide rate of 19.2...or SIX TIMES that of NYC. So let me get this straight - NYC has a significantly HIGHER percentage of blacks than Miami, but Miami has SIX TIMES the homicide rate.

The difference, as always, is standard of living...just as it is in every other nation on the planet. THAT, sir, is another of the lessons you'd learn if you traveled - that even though most American conservatives are SO worried about how incredibly violent Muslims are, if you actually walked the streets of Dubai or Bahrain as I have, you'd see that those cities are indeed safer than our own large cities are. However, if you get away from the high-standard-of-living cities into the poorer areas, it's time to keep an eye out. Again, the level of violence within a society is largely determined by that society's standard of living.

And don't try to tell me where I have and haven't lived - that's a poor cop-out indeed. There's a place called Linn Baptist Church about 10 miles from Cleveland, MS. That church - like almost every church there - has a cemetery right beside it...and my direct line is buried in that cemetery back to 1870. I'll be the first of my line not buried there. When I brought my Asian wife back to MS for the first time, my mother pulled me off to one side and said, "I wish you'd married a black girl!" By her tone she would have said something other than 'black' - but she was trying to be polite.

Here's an article I wrote about seven years ago concerning my journey out of racism...and a major point that I make is that most racists honestly do not realize that they ARE racist, that most racists are not malicious and simply don't realize the damage they do.

One last thing - if there's something I've learned over my decades debating people online since 1994, it's to not assume the other person is lying. I look for the ring of truth...and most of the time, I see it. Thanks to the anonymity of the internet, most people are more likely to be truthful...if not actually factual.

And Mississippi is also the POOREST state in the nation...which is very much in line with what I pointed out to you about the states with the lowest standard of living. AGAIN, NYC has a population that's 26% black, yet it has one of the lowest homicide rates (3.2) of major cities in the nation...whereas Miami is about 19% black, and has a homicide rate of 19.2...or SIX TIMES that of NYC. So let me get this straight - NYC has a significantly HIGHER percentage of blacks than Miami, but Miami has SIX TIMES the homicide rate.

The difference, as always, is standard of living...just as it is in every other nation on the planet. THAT, sir, is another of the lessons you'd learn if you traveled - that even though most American conservatives are SO worried about how incredibly violent Muslims are, if you actually walked the streets of Dubai or Bahrain as I have, you'd see that those cities are indeed safer than our own large cities are. However, if you get away from the high-standard-of-living cities into the poorer areas, it's time to keep an eye out. Again, the level of violence within a society is largely determined by that society's standard of living.

And don't try to tell me where I have and haven't lived - that's a poor cop-out indeed. There's a place called Linn Baptist Church about 10 miles from Cleveland, MS. That church - like almost every church there - has a cemetery right beside it...and my direct line is buried in that cemetery back to 1870. I'll be the first of my line not buried there. When I brought my Asian wife back to MS for the first time, my mother pulled me off to one side and said, "I wish you'd married a black girl!" By her tone she would have said something other than 'black' - but she was trying to be polite.

Here's an article I wrote about seven years ago concerning my journey out of racism...and a major point that I make is that most racists honestly do not realize that they ARE racist, that most racists are not malicious and simply don't realize the damage they do.

One last thing - if there's something I've learned over my decades debating people online since 1994, it's to not assume the other person is lying. I look for the ring of truth...and most of the time, I see it. Thanks to the anonymity of the internet, most people are more likely to be truthful...if not actually factual.

We ae going too far off topic for the thread, we should make a new thread on the topic.

Moderator's Warning:
Probably a good idea there. ;)

I just want to answer him, then I'm done. (I spent a lot of time on this, then saw your post.) I promise! I love mods! :2wave:

So...WHY, then, are most of the states with the worst homicide rates RED states, hm? And please don't try to claim that "it's the black people" like so many on the Right do, because then you have to wind up explaining why Alaska and West Virginia have high homicide rates. What's more, New York City - you know, that place where Harlem is - has a homicide rate just over HALF that of the state of Louisiana.

If we define "homicide" as the Bureua of Justice Statistics does we're looking at murder and non-negligent manslaughter. So let's take a look.

The homicide rate in the U.S. as a whole was 4.5 per 100,000 residents in 2014, according to the FBI. In Alaska, the homicide rate was 5.6. There were 41 reported homicides in the state that year. If the state adhered to the national average, there would have been 33 reported homicides, a difference of eight people (taking the state's population of 736,732). I would call that statistically insignificant. And I'm not really sure why you're picking on West Virgina, since that's state's homicide rate of 4.0 was below the national average (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-4).

Meanwhile, let's look at some "Blue" states:

Illinois: 5.3

Michigan: 5.4

Maryland: 6.1

And in the gun-grabber paradise of the District of Columbia, the homicide rate was an eyepoping 15.9 :shock: per 100,000.

Answer the question - WHY are the states with the worst homicide rates generally RED states?

I know this doesn't fit in with your narrative, but almost all of the Red states with high homicide rates are Southern states with large black populations. Much of the violence is concentrated in larger metro areas and most of that is related to gang and/or drug activity in lower-class, inner-city neighborhoods. To deny the link to race is disingenuous when about 13% of the population is committing more than half of all homicides in the country.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Homicide)

Regarding Harlem, it's not the slum it used to be. A major gentrification has occurred and is occurring. About 65% of the population works in white-collar professions. People of all races have figured out that they aren't making any more Manhattan real estate.

What will happen when Harlem becomes white? | US news | The Guardian

Harlem Demographics & Statistics -- Employment, Education, Income Averages, Crime in Harlem

I agree that standard of living plays a part in all of this, but Bernie and Hillary aren't going to fix things with more free goodies from Uncle Sam's Plantation. Until we have an honest discussion about the disintegration of lower-class (and I don't mean just black) families in this country, we're not going to get anywhere. People, stop having kids out of wedlock if you can't support them! And at least finish high school, for Christ's sake!

Three Simple Rules Poor Teens Should Follow to Join the Middle Class | Brookings Institution

Supporters of Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed in Las Vegas on Saturday and it got so out of hand, cops descended on the ballroom and threatened arrests.

Convention attendee and YouTube user Anie H. posted several photos of the action, as announcements were made over the loud speaker to leave the Paris Hotel or risk being arrested.
'WE NEED A MEDIC!' Hillary, Bernie delegates clash at NV Dem convention - The American MirrorThe American Mirror

Chaos At Nevada Democratic Convention As Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer

Read more: Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer At Nevada DNC Convention | The Daily Caller

Bernie Fans Boo Barbara Boxer At Nevada DNC Convention | The Daily Caller

Surprised they didn't call for " muscle " :lamo

I agree that standard of living plays a part in all of this, but Bernie and Hillary aren't going to fix things with more free goodies from Uncle Sam's Plantation. Until we have an honest discussion about the disintegration of lower-class (and I don't mean just black) families in this country, we're not going to get anywhere. People, stop having kids out of wedlock if you can't support them! And at least finish high school, for Christ's sake!

Three Simple Rules Poor Teens Should Follow to Join the Middle Class | Brookings Institution

"If only the individual people would {insert brilliant solution here}, they'd make it to the middle class!"

*sigh*

If only more kids would finish high school...never mind that so many of them are latchkey kids who often have zero supervision because their parent is off at work. Fewer than half of all U.S. kids now live in a "traditional" family. In other words, "if only people would do this or that" isn't the solution.

If only women would stop having kids out of wedlock...never mind that our society is so sex-saturated that it's doggone near impossible for a kid to get through the day without seeing references to sex in advertisements or on television...and then there's what's happened with access to the internet on cell phones. In other words, "just say no" to premarital sex isn't a viable solution.

If only people would stop depending on "goodies from the government"...never mind that adults have to fight even for entry-level jobs that pay so little that the adults (and their families) are so often at or below the poverty line...and so instead of the corporations paying a living wage, the government essentially has to subsidize those corporations' paychecks of the entry-level workers so they can have food, shelter, and clothing for themselves and their families.

If you'll check, every first-world democracy has three things in common: big government, high effective taxes, and strong regulation. Yes, conservatives hate all those, but those are part and parcel of a first-world democracy. On the other hand, almost every third-world democracy (and I've lived in one) has three things in common: small or weak government, low effective taxes, and weak regulation.

The point is, holding the individual responsible for his or her own actions is all well and fine - it's a fact of life - BUT if one wants to live in a nation with a first-world standard of living, then the nation's government has to do what it can to encourage and help the poor and disadvantaged, to give them real opportunities to reach above their station in life. Yeah, I read Ayn Rand's paean to rugged individualism "Atlas Shrugged" a long time ago...and while her rhetoric - which has become in so many ways conservative dogma - sounds great, in the real world, it simply doesn't work. It's what is found in nearly every third-world societies...but is never found in first-world societies. Correlation does not equal causation, but when the correlation is strong enough, one should sit up and pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom