• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DeLay's Lawyers Press Judge To Step Aside

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
DeLay's Lawyers Press Judge to Step Aside By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer
13 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - Proceedings in the political-money case against Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas, are on hold after the congressman's lawyer asked the presiding judge to step aside because he made campaign donations to Democrats and their liberal allies.

The former House Republican leader, charged with conspiracy and money laundering, did not speak during the brief session but read a statement later accusing prosecutor Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, of partisanship.

He said that because Earle and the Democratic Party "could not beat me at the ballot box and could not beat me on the floor of the House of Representatives, they are now desperately trying to challenge me in a courtroom."

Perkins denied bias but ended the exchange quickly, saying, "The best way for me to handle" the request for a different judge would be to defer further proceedings.

That means the issue now goes to hearing before a state administrative judge, B.B. Schraub.

DeLay and two political associates are accused of funneling corporate money to Texas legislative campaigns, in violation of state law prohibiting use of these donations for election or defeat of state candidates.

Two grand juries accused the three men of sending $190,000 in corporate money, raised by a Texas group founded by DeLay, to the Republican National Committee in Washington, and having the money routed back to several Texas candidates.

The felony charges triggered an upheaval in the House Republican leadership, as DeLay was obligated to step aside under House rules.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051022/ap_on_go_co/delay_indictment

Damn.....if we go by these standards for a trial Judge....freakin' Harriet will be benched (pun intended) ....as will pretty much every judge who gives to charity.

"Sorry John...cant have you hear this case....you put a dollar in the basket at church."

tecoyah said:
Damn.....if we go by these standards for a trial Judge....freakin' Harriet will be benched (pun intended) ....as will pretty much every judge who gives to charity.

"Sorry John...cant have you hear this case....you put a dollar in the basket at church."
It seems to me that Delay is a like a Mafia Don. He's doing everything he can to manipulate the system, again, and since he can't fight the charges with a basic legal defense he's resorting to what the Mafia would do, namely cloud the issue and try to get a judge that's in his pocket to rule on his case.

I just can't believe how slimey he really is. Just watching this dirt bag smile through everything, just seeing him act like he believes he's invulnerable to everything is sickening.

The US will be a better place when people like Tom DeLay are out of power.

From above Yahoo article said:
That means the issue now goes to hearing before a state administrative judge, B.B. Schraub.

Schraub, a Republican, became an administrative judge in 1990 and was appointed or reappointed by four governors: three Republicans and one Democrat. Schraub, from 1989 through 2002, contributed at least $1,500 to federal Republican campaigns, according to disclosure reports compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

He donated an additional $4,900 to Texas GOP candidates between 1998 and 2001, according to state disclosure reports analyzed by a public interest group, Texans for Public Justice.

So, now the judge that decides if Judge Bob Perkins should step aside or not, donated to Republican candidates or campaigns. So what? Are they going to insist that all prospective jurors be apolitical? Is this judge shopping?

In Texas, District judges are elected. Some are Republicans and some are Democrats. So what?

Well I bet that if Sen. Chuck Schummer got indicted and they found out the Judge who was hearing the case had donated to a Richard Mellon Schiaf financed political group that had mounted specific campaigns to remove him and printed shirts with his mug shot on them and had done so while his case was in process he too would have his attorney's ask for a new judge.

Think before you speak, it will serve you well.

Stinger said:
Well I bet that if Sen. Chuck Schummer got indicted and they found out the Judge who was hearing the case had donated to a Richard Mellon Schiaf financed political group.
Wrong pal, Sen. Schumer isn't connected to the Republican Mafia and would never try to choose his own judge. DeLay is a lowlife who will go to almost any lengths to preserve his power base.
Stinger said:
that had mounted specific campaigns to remove him and printed shirts with his mug shot on them and had done so while his case was in process he too would have his attorney's ask for a new judge.

Think before you speak, it will serve you well.
The boldened words above are 100% untrue, aka A LIE! It's already been debunked and proven to be untrue. Only lowlife scum like DeLay and his supporters (and you know who you are) spread lies like this one, and it is a prime example of DeLay, his tactics, and the desperation he is feeling about going to trial.

Think before you speak? Maybe you should think before you type?

Squirm baby, squirm! Tom DeLay is sure acting guilty and only time and a trial well tell if he is or isn't. Personally I have no idea if he's guilty or not since I've not seen or heard one piece of testimony for or against DeLay.

I must admit that I am enjoying seeing his flesh crawl and seeing him become impotent, couldn't happen to a nicer guy (literally).

Back
Top Bottom