• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Delay wins GOP Primary

aps said:
Apparently Vanity Fair will be publishing an article on Abramoff in its next issue, where he talks about his close relationships with various conservatives including, but not limited to, Bush, DeLay, Gingrich, Burns, Mehlman, and more. This is going to be interesting.

aps, how about his association with Reid and Pelosi.Will he talk about them too......Let he/her without sin cast the first stone......There is enough guilt to go around on this.........

Abramoff is in deep kimchee, he is looking a 30 years if convicted.......Hew will say or do anything to reduce his time in jail............He will be a convicted felon with litte or no creditability.......

Kandahar said:
Funny, most Republicans hate DeLay for exactly the same reason.

ah, can you back that up with any facts like what Republicans have said they hate hom?:roll:

Never mind I know you can't, just more left wing spin........

Navy Pride said:
ah, can you back that up with any facts like what Republicans have said they hate hom?:roll:

Never mind I know you can't, just more left wing spin........

I dare you to open any major American newspaper - liberal or conservative - and find a kind word about Tom DeLay on the editorial page. Your description of him as a "true conservative" is laughable; true conservatives loathe Tom DeLay.

Kandahar said:
I dare you to open any major American newspaper - liberal or conservative - and find a kind word about Tom DeLay on the editorial page. Your description of him as a "true conservative" is laughable; true conservatives loathe Tom DeLay.

Again now try and concentrate like a laser beam and don't give me this **** about the liberal media.............Name these Republicans who hate Delay? That is easy, give me names., No left wing spin..........Yous said it now back it up.......

Navy Pride said:
Again now try and concentrate like a laser beam and don't give me this **** about the liberal media.............Name these Republicans who hate Delay? That is easy, give me names., No left wing spin..........Yous said it now back it up.......

Here's a few Republicans/conservatives that have very few kind words to say about DeLay:

David Brooks (New York Times)
William F. Buckley (National Review)
Jeff Flake (HoR)
Joel Hefley (HoR - Former Ethics Committee chairman)
David Keene (American Conservative Union)
William Safire (New York Times)
Tom Schatz (Citizens Against Government Waste)
Christopher Shays (HoR)
The entire Wall Street Journal staff

Would you care to defend your statement that Tom DeLay is a "true conservative"? Or would you prefer to repeat Rush's talking points over and over?

Last edited:
Kandahar said:
Here's a few Republicans/conservatives that have very few kind words to say about DeLay:

David Brooks (New York Times)
Jeff Flake (HoR)
Joel Hefley (HoR - Former Ethics Committee chairman)
David Keene (American Conservative Union)
William Safire (New York Times)
Tom Schatz (Citizens Against Government Waste)
Christopher Shays (HoR)
The entire Wall Street Journal staff

Would you care to defend your statement that Tom DeLay is a "true conservative"? Or would you prefer to repeat Rush's talking points over and over?

I don't care about the columnists I want to see the quotes from the members of the HOR you mentioned that say they hate Delay.....

I doubt if the columnists said they hate him either but I will let you skate on that one...........Now just give me the quotes but the HOR members......

Navy Pride said:
I don't care about the columnists I want to see the quotes from the members of the HOR you mentioned that say they hate Delay.....

I doubt if the columnists said they hate him either but I will let you skate on that one...........Now just give me the quotes......

Politicians aren't going to openly declare that they hate one of their own. That tactic is reserved for the idiots that feed you your opinions, such as Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh. For everyone else, you just need to read between the lines of their criticisms because you won't find the word "hate" anywhere in them.

And the only reason you don't care about the columnists is because it doesn't suit your predetermined agenda to do so.

Why the hell are you defending this sleazebag who is anything but conservative?

Kandahar said:
Politicians aren't going to openly declare that they hate one of their own. That tactic is reserved for the idiots that feed you your opinions, such as Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh. For everyone else, you just need to read between the lines of their criticisms because you won't find the word "hate" anywhere in them.

And the only reason you don't care about the columnists is because it doesn't suit your predetermined agenda to do so.

Then why did you say it???????????Then you admit you were wrong when you said this?

Funny, most Republicans hate DeLay for exactly the same reason.

There are over 200 Republicans in the HOR and 55 in the Senate, you said most hate Delay and you name 2 guys no one ever heard of............So sad.........

Kandahar said:

Bottom line in his leadership position Delay has kicked dems and liberals asses for years and you know it

Kandahar said:

Talk about the height of ridiculous here I have a liberal trying to tell me what a conservative is............:rofl

Navy Pride said:
Then why did you say it???????????Then you admit you were wrong when you said this?

There are over 200 Republicans in the HOR and 55 in the Senate, you said most hate Delay and you name 2 guys no one ever heard of............So sad.........

He said Republicans, he did not specify Republican politicians.

Navy Pride said:
Talk about the height of ridiculous here I have a liberal trying to tell me what a conservative is............:rofl

Oh, and like you never try to define what a liberal is.

This is definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

Stace said:

Well 2 of the people he mentioned are Republicans in the HOR and how does he know what party the columnists belong too?? Nice try stace........:lol:

All I want to see is the statements where they say they hate Delay.......He can't produce them, since your sticking up for hom maybe you can............

Stace said:

Way to change the subject stace.........If you want to know how to define a liberal look in the mirror.......

Navy Pride said:
Well 2 of the people he mentioned are Republicans in the HOR and how does he know what party the columnists belong too?? Nice try stace........:lol:

All I want to see is the statements where they say they hate Delay.......He can't produce them, since your sticking up for hom maybe you can............

Quite frankly, I really don't care. Why don't you try looking it up yourself? I hear Google is a wonderful thing for inquiries such as that.

Navy Pride said:
Way to change the subject stace.........If you want to know how to define a liberal look in the mirror.......

I know what a liberal is, thanks. And obviously, I know that I'm a liberal. But I'm not just going to sit here while YOU change the subject and try to call someone out for "trying to tell you what a conservative is", when you do it to the liberals ALL OF THE TIME. If you can't take it, don't dish it.

Stace said:
Quite frankly, I really don't care. Why don't you try looking it up yourself? I hear Google is a wonderful thing for inquiries such as that.

Your liberal buddy is the one who said republicans hated President Delay......

Nevermind:roll: Next time catch up with the thread before you put in your two cents..........

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
Your liberal buddy is the one who said republicans hated President Delay......

Nevermind:roll: Next time catch up with the thread before you put in your two cents..........

You STILL haven't learned to not assume things? Tsk tsk. I read every word of this thread, thanks.

And PRESIDENT Delay? When did that one happen? :roll:

Stace said:
You STILL haven't learned to not assume things? Tsk tsk. I read every word of this thread, thanks.

And PRESIDENT Delay? When did that one happen? :roll:

Then you know your liberal buddy made the statement that most republicans hate Delay.............If that is so then you and him can produce statements where said republicans said so........

Neither of you can do it because the only ones that hate him are democrats.............Changing the subjext won't get it done........

Navy Pride said:
Then you know your liberal buddy made the statement that most republicans hate Delay.............If that is so then you and him can produce statements where said republicans said so........

This is ridiculous; English must not be your first language. There are ways to convey that you hate someone besides saying "I hate them." For example, I think it's fair to say that Osama Bin Laden hates George Bush, but I don't know that I could necessarily produce a statement of his using those exact words. It's even more difficult to find someone saying those exact words when we're talking about diplomatic politicians or columnists, than when talking about a raving lunatic.

Why don't you learn some basic English skills and learn to read between the lines? I'd be happy to provide you with quotes from any of those people that lead me to the conclusion that they aren't fond of Mr. DeLay, if you'd like. Of course you aren't interested unless they include the word "hate."

Navy Pride said:

Neither of you can do it because the only ones that hate him are democrats.............Changing the subjext won't get it done........

Well, like Kandahar already stated, I highly doubt anyone's going to come out and specifically say "I hate Tom DeLay!"...this isn't middle school, after all.

But, here's one for ya. Not sure where the story originally appeared, but I found it cited here.

WASHINGTON - Private GOP tensions over Tom DeLay's ethics controversy spilled into public Sunday, as a Senate leader called on DeLay to explain his actions and one House Republican demanded the majority leader's resignation. "Tom's conduct is hurting the Republican Party, is hurting this Republican majority and it is hurting any Republican who is up for re-election," Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn., told The Associated Press in an interview, calling for DeLay to step down as majority leader. DeLay, R-Texas, who was admonished by the House ethics committee three times last year, has been dogged in recent months by new reports about his overseas travel funded by special interests, campaign payments to family members and connections to a lobbyist who is under criminal investigation. A moderate Republican from Connecticut, Shays said efforts by the House GOP members to change ethics rules to protect DeLay only make the party look bad. "My party is going to have to decide whether we are going to continue to make excuses for Tom to the detriment of Republicans seeking election," Shays said. Rick Santorum, the No. 3 Republican in the Senate, said Sunday that DeLay needs to explain his conduct to the public. "Now you may not like some of the things he's done," said Santorum, who is up for re-election next year in Pennsylvania. "That's for the people of his district to decide, whether they want to approve that kind of behavior or not." DeLay, who took center stage in passing legislation designed to keep alive Terri Schiavo, also has found that President Bush and congressional colleagues are distancing themselves from his comments, after her death, about the judges involved in her case.

There's a little more to the article, but it's mostly just more stuff about the Schiavo thing.

Oh, wait.....a little more research shows that this story appeared on your favorite website, NewsMax.

Navy Pride said:
Despite their best effort Democrats better not count Tom Delay out just yet.........He won the GOP primary with a 64 percent margin.....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/07/delay.election/index.html

Wednesday, March 8, 2006; Posted: 9:19 a.m. EST (14:19 GMT)

Rep. Tom DeLay has the last laugh (1:38)

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Despite being indicted and relegated to the back benches, Rep. Tom DeLay's political stock remained strong enough with the folks back home for him to win Tuesday night's primary election in his Houston-area district.

The Bug Man was usually around 80% in the primaries. He was at 62% I think fore this one. We'll see.

There's a nice pic of Delay and Abramoff golfing together that's coming out in Vanity Fair. If I'm Lampson, that pic is featured prominently in my ad campaign.

Kandahar said:
This is ridiculous; English must not be your first language. There are ways to convey that you hate someone besides saying "I hate them." For example, I think it's fair to say that Osama Bin Laden hates George Bush, but I don't know that I could necessarily produce a statement of his using those exact words. It's even more difficult to find someone saying those exact words when we're talking about diplomatic politicians or columnists, than when talking about a raving lunatic.

Why don't you learn some basic English skills and learn to read between the lines? I'd be happy to provide you with quotes from any of those people that lead me to the conclusion that they aren't fond of Mr. DeLay, if you'd like. Of course you aren't interested unless they include the word "hate."

You make a stupid statement..I call you on it then you attack me......What else is new?

Well don't just talk about it.........We been hearing that four 3 pages.....Prove it..........And give me republican politicians not columnists from the NY Times...........

hipsterdufus said:
The Bug Man was usually around 80% in the primaries. He was at 62% I think fore this one. We'll see.

There's a nice pic of Delay and Abramoff golfing together that's coming out in Vanity Fair. If I'm Lampson, that pic is featured prominently in my ad campaign.

I think it was 64 percent.........

Hey I am not denying he had dealings with Abramoff, so did Reid and Pelosi........

I think the reports of Delay's demise by the left are a little pre mature.......We shall see............

Deegan said:
It is indeed creeps like Delay that have forced me to leave the party, I have no doubt they will elect him once again, if not for the very reason some give, to stick it to the Dem's. I don't want to stick it to them, if I'm left with this man as the representative of my party. This is not to say he is the only one, or that this is a problem in the Rep. party exclusively, but you have to start somewhere, and this is the party in power.

Well said Deegan. There are a lot of Republicans that I respect and admire, and a lot of Dems that I loathe. Tom Delay is a disgrace to not just the GOP, but to the country as a whole. He exemplifies what is wrong with politics today.

Back
Top Bottom