• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DeLay indictment

python416 said:
Tom DeLay's ethics problems have finally yielded an indictment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-28-DeLay-investigation_x.htm

Today's GOP in all its glory!

I don't expect to much debate here, since it is pretty hard to defend this guy. But if you can take a shot, please do!

I have been telling people for months that Delay would be indicted for his sliming of politics here in Texas. On the last board I was on, it was one of the main reasons that the Republicans there personally stalked and attacked me en masse with smear tactics. I am vindicated now, and will be further vindicated when the Bushneviks are all gone.

I still have my account at the other board, and would like nothing better than to rub their noses in it, but I have no intention of ever going back there again. At least, if a Republcian here disagrees, he will do so in an intelligent manner, and whether I like him or not, he will still have my respect.

Expect more indictments for Delay before this is all over. Next on the chopping block will be Karl Rove and Lewis Libby.

Can the three of us join hands and dance around? I am thrilled about this because DeLay is just total scum.
:donkeyfla

I don't know if you heard this but he has stepped aside of Majority leader for the moment.

kmhowe72 said:
I don't know if you heard this but he has stepped aside of Majority leader for the moment.

Yes I did. :lol:

I think I even said the exact words "I hope Texas has the will to indict" but that I doubted it would. It did and I am shocked. But if he is convicted it will not matter because a pardon will be forthcoming from the governor because they are old friends (this is a state crime correct?).

Anyway...I am sure he will be back in the lead of the GOP in the house in a few weeks and that this is only temporary. The rules stated that they could have anyone accused of a crime as the head...they changed that. Now maybe they will change it so that someone who is indicted can be the head as well.

Anyway, I happy, but cynical.

In case you lefties don't know it in this country you are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers..........I know you don't like that..You would love hang him without a trial.............

This indictment does not mean squat........It is strictly a partisan move by a left wing DA in Texas who is bitter because of how Delay foxed them in the redistricting issue.........

Delay has been a very powerful person in the HOR and has out foxed democrats many times...........That is what this is all about........

If and when this ever comes to trial Delay will be exonerated........

You can take that to the bank......

Navy Pride said:
In case you lefties don't know it in this country you are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers..........I know you don't like that..You would love hang him without a trial.............

This indictment does not mean squat........It is strictly a partisan move by a left wing DA in Texas who is bitter because of how Delay foxed them in the redistricting issue.........

Delay has been a very powerful person in the HOR and has out foxed democrats many times...........That is what this is all about........

Delay is a great politican, and maybe he will be declared innocent here. But his Jack Abermoff connection clearly shows that he is SCUM.

And spare me the innocent till proven guilty crap, unless you one of the only righties that held off your attacks on Clinton during the Whitewater. Before he lied about Monica, were you in on the attacks? I'd bet my pay cheque.

All political groups have their skeletons, but with Rove, Frist, DeLay, etc., the GOP is looking like the most corrupt bunch of greedy croonies seen in recent US history.

PS) You quote the press conference talking points like a GOP pro!

Navy Pride said:

1) First of all, its not just the lefties who are happy to see Delay indicted. A lot of conservatives, including me, are also happy. Delay is a disgrace. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them a Liberal, and it is on this point that your entire reasoning process on this , and most other issues, breaks down.

2) It has nothing to do with partisan politics. Running corporate money through a slush fund is money laundering. The head of TRMPAC, the former head of TRMPAC, other Delay associates, and several corporations were already indicted in this conspiracy.

3) Delay is only the latest in a long string of criminal indictments. Delay is also being investigated Federally, and may be indicted in connection with Jack Abramoff. Personally, I hope he beats the Federal rap, because I want him to do hard time here in Texas instead of doing it at Club Fed.

Navy Pride said:

I find it amusing that you're bashing the lefties and their rope to hang Delay with but without all of the facts then, in the same post, you're claiming that Delay will be exonerated. :spin:

Navy Pride said:

Let me tell you what I will take to the bank--your obvious anger over this.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, innocent until proven guilty. I am sure if the rolls were reversed, you would not be asserting that. Anyway, I agree. We'll see what happens.

DeLay creates a committee to redistrict Texas to take away House seats from the democrats. Wow, that's what I call a moral man. The man is too arrogant for his own good. Arrogance breed immorality, just like it did when Nixon was president, and look what happened to him and his "men."

He was so arrogrant, he probably thought he would never get caught doing some of the shady crap he does. What goes around comes around.

Now all we need is for Frist to be charged with insider trading.

:D

Navy Pride said:

If Tom Delay was indicted for Necrophilia, you would still be trying to spin it. If he gets convicted, which will be hard being that money usually gets you a good enough lawyer to avoid conviction, you will still be spinning it because you are easily one of the most partisan users on here (don’t get me wrong, I am partisan, but I take conservative positions occasionally, you never take a position that is one inch outside of the GOP talking points). What “left wing DA”? Yeah he is a Democrat, but Texas is not exactly a liberal Mecca. Texas is one of the reddest states in the nation. It isn’t like he was indicted by the San Francisco DA.

I remember when the CEO of Kansas's Westar Energy was asked why he made political contributions to Republicans in House races in states that Westar had no business dealings in. David Whittig simply responded that he was instructed to do so by Tom Delay so he could have a seat at the table in drafting energy legislation. Tom Delay is the most corrupt man in Washington since LBJ.

Last edited:
White House spokesman Scott McClellan said today that President Bush still views DeLay as a "good ally" and "a leader we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people." McClellan added, "The president's view is that we need to let the legal process work."
"I've got friends in low places, where the whiskey drowns..."

Delay just said in this last press conference that "we need to do something about the high costs of heating oil for this winter" as if that is why it is a sham for him to be charged.

Now Tom DeLay cannot solve the energy problems in America! Oh no!

AS IF Tom DeLay was going to anything to help the energy problem. The GOP croonies and company in control of energy companies are the cause of the problem in the first place.

What a lame comment! Tom must really be in trouble!

python416 said:
Delay just said in this last press conference that "we need to do something about the high costs of heating oil for this winter" as if that is why it is a sham for him to be charged.

Now Tom DeLay cannot solve the energy problems in America! Oh no!

AS IF Tom DeLay was going to anything to help the energy problem. The GOP croonies and company in control of energy companies are the cause of the problem in the first place.

What a lame comment! Tom must really be in trouble!

The man is nothing but a power hungry thug. He is the posterchild for everything that is wrong with Washington politics. Maybe his indictment, the indictments of many of the President's supporters, the President's abysmal poll ratings, and the investigation of Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist will finally bring about a return to true conservatism in the Republican Party.

shuamort said:
"I've got friends in low places, where the whiskey drowns..."

Hehe. Garth Brooks with his finger on GOP morality. LOL.

SouthernDemocrat said:
The man is nothing but a power hungry thug. He is the posterchild for everything that is wrong with Washington politics. Maybe his indictment, the indictments of many of the President's supporters, the President's abysmal poll ratings, and the investigation of Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist will finally bring about a return to true conservatism in the Republican Party.

Oh, and let's not forget the whole no-bid contracts going on in Mississippi and New Orleans.

Did you see this from yesterday's NYT? It's amazing how corrupt the republicans are.

Demotion of a Prosecutor Is Investigated
By PHILIP SHENON
WASHINGTON, Sept. 26 - The Justice Department's inspector general and the F.B.I. are looking into the demotion of a veteran federal prosecutor whose reassignment nearly three years ago shut down a criminal investigation of the Washington lobbyist Jack Abramoff, current and former department officials report.

They said investigators had questioned whether the demotion of the prosecutor, Frederick A. Black, in November 2002 was related to his alert to Justice Department officials days earlier that he was investigating Mr. Abramoff. The lobbyist is a major Republican Party fund-raiser and a close friend of several Congressional leaders.

Colleagues said the demotion of Mr. Black, the acting United States attorney in Guam, and a subsequent order barring him from pursuing public corruption cases brought an end to his inquiry into Mr. Abramoff's lobbying work for some Guam judges.

Colleagues of Mr. Black, who had run the federal prosecutor's office in Guam for 12 years, spoke on condition of anonymity because of Justice Department rules that bar employees from talking to reporters. They said F.B.I. agents questioned several people in Guam and Washington this summer about whether Mr. Abramoff or his friends in the Bush administration had pushed for Mr. Black's removal. Mr. Abramoff's internal e-mail messages show that he boasted to clients about what he described as his close ties to John Ashcroft, then the attorney general, and others at the department.

Rest of the article can be found at: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/27/politics/27lobby.html

python416 said:
Delay is a great politican, and maybe he will be declared innocent here. But his Jack Abermoff connection clearly shows that he is SCUM.

And spare me the innocent till proven guilty crap, unless you one of the only righties that held off your attacks on Clinton during the Whitewater. Before he lied about Monica, were you in on the attacks? I'd bet my pay cheque.

All political groups have their skeletons, but with Rove, Frist, DeLay, etc., the GOP is looking like the most corrupt bunch of greedy croonies seen in recent US history.

PS) You quote the press conference talking points like a GOP pro!

Hey your boy Clinton was convicted of perjury for lying to a federal judge...........That is a felony.If anyone else did it they would have gone to jail.........When Delay gets convicted of something come back and talk to me............It ain't gonna happen

danarhea said:
1) First of all, its not just the lefties who are happy to see Delay indicted. A lot of conservatives, including me, are also happy. Delay is a disgrace. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them a Liberal, and it is on this point that your entire reasoning process on this , and most other issues, breaks down.

2) It has nothing to do with partisan politics. Running corporate money through a slush fund is money laundering. The head of TRMPAC, the former head of TRMPAC, other Delay associates, and several corporations were already indicted in this conspiracy.

3) Delay is only the latest in a long string of criminal indictments. Delay is also being investigated Federally, and may be indicted in connection with Jack Abramoff. Personally, I hope he beats the Federal rap, because I want him to do hard time here in Texas instead of doing it at Club Fed.

Delay has done nothing then any other politician has done....You say your a Conservative.............As such do you believe that a man is innocent until proven guilty?????? I just heard the indictment read on the news..............It covered 2 associatesand was very sketchy..........they won't lay a glove on him.........

Delay is a very effective politician, no more no less............

shuamort said:
I find it amusing that you're bashing the lefties and their rope to hang Delay with but without all of the facts then, in the same post, you're claiming that Delay will be exonerated. :spin:

The left has been after Delay for years....He is a very effective politician who snookered them in redistricting in Texas...........I just heard the indictment read on the news............Trust me they won't lay a glove on him much to your sorrow............

As a point of interest...the DA didn't indict him. That was done by the grand jury which is the same as a jury of Delay's peers. The DA just announced it.

Onto the DA-he is a DEM...scary thought, I know. He however, in the cases he has prosecuted that involved corruption similar to delay's case (not saying he is guilty), prosecuted mainly Dems. So, to say that he is being partisan is ridiculous because frankly, the cases are so similar if you look at them. Whatever, Pride will take it the other way, but 12 of the 15 he has prosecuted for corruption have been Dems, so it really can't be said that this is partisan-motivated.

aps said:
Let me tell you what I will take to the bank--your obvious anger over this.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, innocent until proven guilty. I am sure if the rolls were reversed, you would not be asserting that. Anyway, I agree. We'll see what happens.

DeLay creates a committee to redistrict Texas to take away House seats from the democrats. Wow, that's what I call a moral man. The man is too arrogant for his own good. Arrogance breed immorality, just like it did when Nixon was president, and look what happened to him and his "men."

He was so arrogrant, he probably thought he would never get caught doing some of the shady crap he does. What goes around comes around.

Now all we need is for Frist to be charged with insider trading.

:D

You mean the insider trading like Hillary did when she made $100K in 2 weeks?

What Delay did in redistricting was perfectly legal and the same thing has been done by democrats so get off your high horse............

If he is guilty then he should be punished but not slapped on the wrists like Clinton was when he committed a felong and perjured himself by lying under oath to a federal judge.............

SouthernDemocrat said:
If Tom Delay was indicted for Necrophilia, you would still be trying to spin it. If he gets convicted, which will be hard being that money usually gets you a good enough lawyer to avoid conviction, you will still be spinning it because you are easily one of the most partisan users on here (don’t get me wrong, I am partisan, but I take conservative positions occasionally, you never take a position that is one inch outside of the GOP talking points). What “left wing DA”? Yeah he is a Democrat, but Texas is not exactly a liberal Mecca. Texas is one of the reddest states in the nation. It isn’t like he was indicted by the San Francisco DA.

I remember when the CEO of Kansas's Westar Energy was asked why he made political contributions to Republicans in House races in states that Westar had no business dealings in. David Whittig simply responded that he was instructed to do so by Tom Delay so he could have a seat at the table in drafting energy legislation. Tom Delay is the most corrupt man in Washington since LBJ.

I just heard that shiny democrat Barney Frank saying Delay should be hung.........

Here is a guy who has sex with his make pages in the seventies.......

HYPOCRITE!!!!!!

Navy Pride said:
Hey your boy Clinton was convicted of perjury for lying to a federal judge...........That is a felony.If anyone else did it they would have gone to jail.........When Delay gets convicted of something come back and talk to me............It ain't gonna happen

Clinton's lie was concerning his personal life - but that is beside the point. I asked if you were yelling for his head BEFORE he lied to answer an out of bounds question brought forth by what was the most obvious politically motivated persecution EVER.

DeLay is SCUM. He may twist his way out of jail time, but Abramoff is SCAM (and I hope even you wouldn't despute that), and DeLay is cut from the same log of crap.

Are you an Abramoff fan? Are you aware that of the connections between them? Clinton would never associate with SCUM like Abramoff, and DeLay thinks he represents the best of America. Greed and croonies! That may be the best of the GOP, but not the best of America.

python416 said:
Tom DeLay's ethics problems have finally yielded an indictment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-28-DeLay-investigation_x.htm

Today's GOP in all its glory!

I don't expect to much debate here, since it is pretty hard to defend this guy. But if you can take a shot, please do!

Me personally, I do not trust the system. Before I formed an opinion, I would want to see if this indictment was politically motivated in any way. It may be true that the indictment was a tatic by democrats to strike at the Republican party, but I don't know for sure. Their are politically motivated trials were the justice system is used to go after somebody that is disliked or is used as a strategic weapon to eliminate rivals who have broken no laws, but yet made to make them appear as if they broke the law, when in reality they have not. The justice system has been influenced by politics and it is not the fair and impartial system we would like to believe it is. It maybe true as well that this man is guilty. But, again, because I know for 100% sure that the system has been used to further the politics of one party or the other and because I know the system has knowingly and willfully put innocent people behind bars, I would want to investigate the system first to be sure it is acting in a fair and impartial manner, before formulating an opinion on whether this man is guilty or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom