• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeLay conviction overturned

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
DeLay conviction overturned – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

(CNN) –Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's conviction on money laundering charges was overturned Thursday by a court in Texas

"Because we conclude that the evidence was legally insufficient to sustain DeLay's convictions, we reverse the judgments of the trial court and render judgments of acquittal," said an opinion from the District Court of Travis County, Texas.
The U.S. Department of Justice ended its own investigation of Delay in 2010 without filing any criminal charges against the former congressman. He has been free on bail pending appeal of his conviction.

Looks like something might have been trumped up given the overturning and the lack of DoJ action.

... A jury in Austin had determined that DeLay conspired with two associates, John Colyandro and Jim Ellis, to use his Texas-based political action committee to send a check for $190,000 in corporate money to an arm of the Washington-based Republican National Committee. The RNC then sent the same amount to seven Texas House candidates. Under state law, corporate money cannot be given directly to political campaigns.

But in a 22-page opinion, the appeals court said prosecutors "failed in its burden to prove that the funds that were delivered to the seven candidates were ever tainted." ...

once again proving we have the best government money can buy
those political bribes were found to be legal

once again proving we have the best government money can buy
those political bribes were found to be legal

This development is very sad indeed and a serious blow to those who advocate removing big money from government and politics. Its a victory for the cynical and for big money..... not to mention crooks like tom DeLay.

This development is very sad indeed and a serious blow to those who advocate removing big money from government and politics. Its a victory for the cynical and for big money..... not to mention crooks like tom DeLay.

And if a dem had a successful appeal, would you be claiming conspiracy revealed?

And if a dem had a successful appeal, would you be claiming conspiracy revealed?

I would be happy to comment on such a case should you provide the link to it.

A Texas court overturns the sentence of a Republican criminal? Color me surprised!

Not..... :coffeepap

Whatever. It's Texas. Nothing embarrasses Texas.

I would be happy to comment on such a case should you provide the link to it.

For example:

Grim - that was not how NPR saw it. They claimed both contract language and their own ethics standards as reasons. But if he did not violate anything I look forward to his lawsuit where he is vindicated.

NO - conservatives are happy to throw another piece of firewood onto the pyre burning KO because he is the most vocal enemy of the right wing found anywhere on the dial. Its all a matter of whose ox is being gored. Since it is their sword enemies, they are happy and overjoyed and we saw that right here when we compared the two threads with quotes from people no less that you.

For example:

There was no link provided. what is it and who is it being discussed?

From the use of the initials KO - is it Keith Olbermann? As you know he is NOT a Democratic official accused of bribes or crimes.

There were no charges. There was no reason for a trial. There was nothing to appeal. There was nothing to be overturned to comment upon.

Last edited:
What a collection of party line big government lemmings. The appeals court found that what they did to Delay was so corrupt, so lacking of any legal basis at all, that they actually aquitted Tom Delay, not just overturning the decision. I don't think I ever heard of an appeals court going that far. An example of a completely corrupt, despicible set of democrats out to destroy a man's life at all costs. This should be a top story, but of course, the liberals in the media don't want to touch it.

Sad? An innocent man gets his day in court and gets everything thrown out the window that a bunch of political hacks wrongly charged him with is "sad"?

Nonsense. There's other remedies available, even if they are difficult, to reduce big money influence on government instead of throwing innocent people in jail.

How would you like facing a three year sentence when you are not guilty of a damn thing?

Sad? An innocent man gets his day in court and gets everything thrown out the window that a bunch of political hacks wrongly charged him with is "sad"?

Nonsense. There's other remedies available, even if they are difficult, to reduce big money influence on government instead of throwing innocent people in jail.

How would you like facing a three year sentence when you are not guilty of a damn thing?

Innocent man. Best laugh of the day.

What's he guilty of?

This from the Wikipedia entry on DeLay

In 2005, DeLay was indicted in Austin, Texas on criminal charges of conspiracy to violate election laws in 2002 by a Travis County, Texas grand jury after having waived his rights under the statutes of limitations. In accordance with Republican Caucus rules, DeLay temporarily resigned from his position as House Majority Leader, and later, after pressure from fellow Republicans, announced that he would not seek to return to the position. He was convicted in January 2011 and sentenced to three years in prison but was free on bail while appealing his conviction, which was overturned on 19 September, 2013, with a ruling that "the evidence in the case was 'legally insufficient to sustain DeLay’s convictions.'" All the judgments were reversed, and Delay was formally acquitted.[1]

Delay was indeed found GUILTY of crimes. His conviction was reversed on appeal NOT BECAUSE evidence showed him to be innocent - but in the opinion of the appeals court was legally insufficient to sustain conviction". A jury who heard the actual case felt otherwise and found him GUILTY. To pretend that he is an INNOCENT man is ridiculous. You only have the presumption of INNOCENCE in a court until you are found GUILTY. That train left the station long ago.

this from the Washington Post

DeLay, 66, was convicted in 2010 for allegedly trying to influence Texas elections by funneling corporate money to various candidates. Prosecutors said that the money helped the GOP win control of the Texas House and that the majority then pushed through a DeLay-organized congressional redistricting plan that sent more Republicans to Congress. The Justice Department has joined lawsuits challenging the makeup of the map, claiming it unfairly draws minority communities out of certain districts.

The two judges who overturned the verdict were Republicans. As Gomer Pyle used to say. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ticle/DeLay-conviction-overturned-4827002.php

Last edited:

Delay was indeed found GUILTY of crimes. His conviction was reversed on appeal NOT BECAUSE evidence showed him to be innocent - but in the opinion of the appeals court was legally insufficient to sustain conviction". A jury who heard the actual case felt otherwise and found him GUILTY. To pretend that he is an INNOCENT man is ridiculous. You only have the presumption of INNOCENCE in a court until you are found GUILTY. That train left the station long ago.

The two judges who overturned the verdict were Republicans. As Gomer Pyle used to say. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!

DeLay conviction overturned; DA promises appeal - Houston Chronicle

So, the judges that allowed him to be tried were Democrats?

I provided a verifiable link for all the information I provided.

Where is yours?

It seems there is some lobbying going on for Democrats to try Republicans and Democrats to try Democrats, otherwise the verdicts will be open to question.

Isn't it incredible??

It seems there is some lobbying going on for Democrats to try Republicans and Democrats to try Democrats, otherwise the verdicts will be open to question.

Isn't it incredible??

I never heard of this. Do you have any evidence of this claim?

I never heard of this. Do you have any evidence of this claim?

Do you have any evidence that Delay's conviction was turned over for political reasons.

You have to be a subscriber to read the whole story. This is a joke, you've provided nothing at all.

Like I said, he was innocent. If the Judges had thought him to be guilty, he would have started a jail term yesterday.

I like this part, "prosecutors said". Did you mention what political party they belonged to? You didn't? Why is that?

It's clear the "prosecutor's said" a lot of things they shouldn't have.

Do you have any evidence that Delay's conviction was turned over for political reasons.

Perhaps you did not read what I previously cited? I find it more than coincidental that a jury of 12 citizens heard from over 40 witnesses and found DeLay guilty and then two Republican judges decide that the very same evidence that convinced a jury of citizens of his guilt was not enough for them. Were I a juror in that case I would give those two Republicans the Italian salute for disrespecting how I performed my civic duty and the next time called for such jury service would do everything I could to get out of it. Such is the negative impact of such things.

You have to be a subscriber to read the whole story. This is a joke, you've provided nothing at all.

I provided that the two judges who overturned the conviction were Republicans. That is a hell of a lot more than your ridiculous accusation of "nothing" since De Lay was a prominent and powerful Republican in Texas and his crimes significantly aided the Republican party in redistricting.

Like I said, he was innocent. If the Judges had thought him to be guilty, he would have started a jail term yesterday.

I like this part, "prosecutors said". Did you mention what political party they belonged to? You didn't? Why is that?

It's clear the "prosecutor's said" a lot of things they shouldn't have.

Guilt is determined by the jury who hears the case. The appeals judges did not pronounce him INNOCENT. The prosecutors DID NOT HAVE THE POWER to find anybody guilty. That was done by 12 citizens who heard the evidence in the case. As such, the party of the prosecutors is not significant.

Back
Top Bottom