• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeLay conviction overturned

Did you not say this???

What did you mean by that?

DeLays crimes were in service to the Republican Party giving them a very favorable redistricting map which will benefit them for a decade. It is hardly a surprise that two other Republicans would reward him for his service to the party.

It pays to have friends in high places.

I wonder what the percentage in Texas is of criminal convictions being completely overturned?

DeLays crimes were in service to the Republican Party giving them a very favorable redistricting map which will benefit them for a decade. It is hardly a surprise that two other Republicans would reward him for his service to the party.

You would have preferred judges who were Democrats then?

I provided that the two judges who overturned the conviction were Republicans. That is a hell of a lot more than your ridiculous accusation of "nothing" since De Lay was a prominent and powerful Republican in Texas and his crimes significantly aided the Republican party in redistricting.

No, you posted a link that isn't readily accessible.

Guilt is determined by the jury who hears the case. The appeals judges did not pronounce him INNOCENT. The prosecutors DID NOT HAVE THE POWER to find anybody guilty. That was done by 12 citizens who heard the evidence in the case. As such, the party of the prosecutors is not significant.

What if the evidence that is presented is bull****

Guilt is determined by the jury who hears the case. The appeals judges did not pronounce him INNOCENT. The prosecutors DID NOT HAVE THE POWER to find anybody guilty. That was done by 12 citizens who heard the evidence in the case. As such, the party of the prosecutors is not significant.

Being the appeals court overturned the first improper verdict, Delay must be considered innocent. The first guilty verdict was made in error.
The appeals judges didn't have the option of finding him innocent. But being Delay is now in status of no conviction, he must be considered innocent.
The prosecutors did have the power to bring a case forward in which they didn't have the evidence to convict. The appeals court pointed this out.
The "12 citizens" didn't hear a case that provided enough evidence to convict. The appeals court pointed this out.
The party of the prosecutors is significant. Clearly, as the appeals court pointed out, they didn't have enough evidence for a legal conviction. So something motivated them besides just the law.

You would have preferred judges who were Democrats then?

I would have preferred judges who did not reward Republican criminality.

No, you posted a link that isn't readily accessible.

It worked for me. And I gave you the applicable quote.

Here it is from a different source

DeLay conviction overturned; DA promises appeal - Houston Chronicle

The executive director of Texans for Public Justice, the group that filed the complaint that led to DeLay's indictment, suggested the Republican judges who issued Thursday's ruling were influenced by politics.

"He (DeLay) was wrong on the law and wrong on the facts, but politics bailed him out," Craig McDonald said. He said he hoped the Travis County district attorney's office would appeal the ruling to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

This is not exactly secret information that is difficult to locate. :roll:

http://www.melissa4justice.com/4691658_37898.htm

About Melissa Goodwin
I have just finished my first year as Justice on the 3rd Court of Appeals! Prior to that I was honored to be the first Republican elected to serve as Justice of the Peace, in Precinct 3 of Travis County. As Justice of the Peace, I presided over thousands of civil, criminal and juvenile trials.

this is from the Washington post article

The lone dissent was Chief Justice Woodie Jones, the only Democrat on the six-member appeals court.

Last edited:
Being the appeals court overturned the first improper verdict, Delay must be considered innocent. The first guilty verdict was made in error.
The appeals judges didn't have the option of finding him innocent. But being Delay is now in status of no conviction, he must be considered innocent.
The prosecutors did have the power to bring a case forward in which they didn't have the evidence to convict. The appeals court pointed this out.
The "12 citizens" didn't hear a case that provided enough evidence to convict. The appeals court pointed this out.
The party of the prosecutors is significant. Clearly, as the appeals court pointed out, they didn't have enough evidence for a legal conviction. So something motivated them besides just the law.

12 citizens who heard the case for day after day and witness after witness came to the opposite conclusion.

There was some difficulty in seeing the whole article, so I will paste it.
I am still wondering if Jeopardy is attached to the acquittal, I see an acquittal as being like a not guilty, no more prosecution.
Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's prayers were answered Thursday when an Austin Court of Appeals voted 2 to 1 to throw out his conviction for illegally laundering corporate money in political campaigns, but prosecutors immediately said they would appeal the latest development in the 11-year-old case.

Attending a Washington, D.C., prayer group Thursday morning when his attorney called with the news, DeLay said he found vindication in the reversal of a jury verdict sentencing him to three years in prison for violating state campaign laws.

"We were all, basically, on our knees praying and my lawyer calls and says, 'You're a free man,' " DeLay told a group of reporters at the Capitol. "I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all of this … it really drove my detractors crazy because I had the joy of Jesus in me and they didn't understand it."

The former lawmaker, whose hard-driving political style inspired his nickname, "the Hammer," called the indictment "an outrageous criminalization of politics."

Jury's verdict defended

The Travis County District Attorney's Office released a statement "strongly disagreeing" with the appeals court ruling. Prosecutors said they plan to appeal the decision to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

"We are concerned and disappointed that two judges substituted their assessment of the facts for that of 12 jurors who personally heard the testimony of over 40 witnesses over the course of several weeks and found that the evidence was sufficient and proved DeLay's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt," the statement read.

The vote by the 3rd Court of Appeals was 2-1. DeLay's prison sentence has been on hold during the appellate process.

Houston attorney Brian Wice said his client was elated at the news. "We're just gratified that two justices in the majority had the courage and the intellectual honesty to do what was not just fair, right and just, but what the law required."

'Checks' vs. 'cash'

DeLay was convicted in 2010 of illegally channeling $190,000 in corporate donations to Republicans running for the Texas Legislature. State law prohibits corporate campaign contributions to local races. A jury in Austin found that DeLay violated state law by sending $190,000 in corporate money to the Republican National Committee, and then directed the same amount to be sent to GOP candidates for the Texas Legislature.

"Because we conclude that the evidence was legally insufficient to sustain DeLay's convictions, we reverse the judgments of the trial court and render judgments of acquittal," the majority opinion by Justice Melissa Goodwin states. "The fundamental problem with the state's case was its failure to prove proceeds of criminal activity." Justice David Gaultney concurred.

Wice seized on that language in the decision because the money DeLay was handling was transferred by checks.

"In 2002, when this persecution began, the penal code defined 'criminal proceeds' not to include checks," Wice said. "It's an argument that is sometimes so simple, it evades detection. It's hiding in plain sight."

Although the law against money laundering now includes "checks," the original intent was to make it a criminal act to hide or secretly transfer cash, which is harder to trace, Wice said. Under the earlier law, Wice said, DeLay was not guilty.

Political influence

Chief Justice J. Woodfin Jones dissented, writing, "I disagree with the majority's opinion that there was legally insufficient evidence to support a jury finding that the corporate contributions at issue here were the proceeds of criminal activity."

DeLay, 66, a conservative Republican from Sugar Land, ran an exterminating business before being elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1978 and winning a seat in Congress in 1984. He rose rapidly through the House leadership and was elected majority leader in 2002.

In 2005, a grand jury indicted DeLay on charges that he had conspired to violate campaign finance laws. DeLay reportedly sought donations to his political action committee from Enron and other corporations to help bankroll the redistricting of Texas to favor the election of more Republicans. He denied the charges, but resigned as majority leader.

The executive director of Texans for Public Justice, the group that filed the complaint that led to DeLay's indictment, suggested the Republican judges who issued Thursday's ruling were influenced by politics.

"He (DeLay) was wrong on the law and wrong on the facts, but politics bailed him out," Craig McDonald said. He said he hoped the Travis County district attorney's office would appeal the ruling to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Two co-defendants in the case pleaded guilty and paid fines. John Colyandro, who ran Texans for a Republican Majority, pleaded guilty in 2012 to a misdemeanor charge of accepting illegal political contributions and received deferred adjudication, which means there will be no final conviction if he completes probation. He also was fined $8,000.

Jim Ellis, a DeLay staff member, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of making an illegal campaign contribution. He received four years' probation and a $10,000 fine.

Their efforts helped produce a Republican majority in the Texas House, paving the way for a controversial mid-decade redistricting that helped win more congressional seats for the Republican Party from Texas.

Lampson disappointed

Former U.S. Rep. Nick Lampson, who lost his office due to the redistricting plan, reacted with disappointment.

"When people don't follow the rules, there needs to be some kind of recourse. There are any number of instances in which DeLay didn't follow the rules with regard to the politics of our country," said Lampson, who ended up winning the seat left open by DeLay's resignation in 2006. He was defeated two years later.

"He brought significant change in the politics of our state and our country that has brought us to greater polarization and a crisis period with our Congress," said Lampson.

The decision brought a chorus of praise from U.S. representatives who said it was the right result.

"Tom Delay's conviction was based on a politically motivated prosecution for an alleged crime that did not exist," said Ted Poe, R-Humble. "It is unfortunate that it took the appellate courts years to reach the verdict of acquittal."

Reporter Stewart Powell in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.

Digging back in my memory after reading the article there were several things that I thought odd about this case.
Delay transferred money to the RNC via check in 2002, but this was not illegal till 2004.
Delay had suggested to the RNC where they could send his donation, but had no ability to direct funds.
The funds were sent, unencumbered.
DA Earle in Travis county took this to 6 Grand Juries before he got an indictment.

This development is very sad indeed and a serious blow to those who advocate removing big money from government and politics. Its a victory for the cynical and for big money..... not to mention crooks like tom DeLay.

more likely a big blow to partisan democratic party hacks who pushed this prosecution for political reasons and now get their hackery blown away by the appellate court

since Delay's presumption of innocence now returns, calling him a crook is incorrect

12 citizens who heard the case for day after day and witness after witness came to the opposite conclusion.

that happens all the time-look at all the rape defendants being acquitted years after their convictions based on DNA

that happens all the time-look at all the rape defendants being acquitted years after their convictions based on DNA

Yeah, but they were DULY appointed. :lol:

more likely a big blow to partisan democratic party hacks who pushed this prosecution for political reasons and now get their hackery blown away by the appellate court

since Delay's presumption of innocence now returns, calling him a crook is incorrect

12 Texas citizens who heard the case day after day and witness after witness disagree with your partisan explanation.

Being a lawyer you should know this is NOT the same thing at all. DNA evidence can prove that the convicted person DID NOT DO THE CRIME. There was no such finding in the DeLay case. two Republicans simply decided that the judgment of 12 jurors was not good enough for their standards and so they rewarded one of their fellow true believers.

It's obvious they made a mistake. The law says they made a mistake. The appeals court judges say they made a mistake.

But you say otherwise. LOL.

It's clear what drives your mistake.

Digging back in my memory after reading the article there were several things that I thought odd about this case.
Delay transferred money to the RNC via check in 2002, but this was not illegal till 2004.
Delay had suggested to the RNC where they could send his donation, but had no ability to direct funds.
The funds were sent, unencumbered.
DA Earle in Travis county took this to 6 Grand Juries before he got an indictment.

DA Earle is exactly the kind of prosecutor America has no need for. A political driven hack with no regard for the law. Reminds me of the clown in NC and the Duke lacrosse team. He got what was needed maybe Earle will too.

Being a lawyer you should know this is NOT the same thing at all. DNA evidence can prove that the convicted person DID NOT DO THE CRIME. There was no such finding in the DeLay case. two Republicans simply decided that the judgment of 12 jurors was not good enough for their standards and so they rewarded one of their fellow true believers.
Not with DNA, but with a calender. The events happened in 2002, money was transferred via check to the RNC.
The law that made check transfers illegal was not in place till 2004.
Delay may have violated the spirit of the law in place in 2002, but not the letter of the law.

A jury spent a long time listening to evidence and convicted him. Why spend the money and the time if a small panel can come along and reverse the decision and work of a jury? I'm sure they are pissed. And only partisan GOPpers think this is cool.

It's that what appeals are all about?

It's obvious they made a mistake. The law says they made a mistake. The appeals court judges say they made a mistake.

But you say otherwise. LOL.

It's clear what drives your mistake.

Two republicans rewarding another republican for political services rendered to the party found a way to override the findings of 12 citizens entrusted to dispense justice.

Not with DNA, but with a calender. The events happened in 2002, money was transferred via check to the RNC.
The law that made check transfers illegal was not in place till 2004.
Delay may have violated the spirit of the law in place in 2002, but not the letter of the law.

A jury of 12 men and women in Texas heard all the evidence and decided otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom