• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeLay’s Vindication, Texas’s Shame

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From NRO, which includes a brief summary of what it calls the “persecution” rather than “prosecution” of Tom Delay:

There are many legitimate criticisms that may be made of Tom DeLay, from some of his political choices to his appearances on Dancing with the Stars. But he is not a criminal. On the other hand, his defense team’s complaint alleging criminal misconduct on the part of Mr. Earle is persuasive. Unhappily, the same Democratic single-party rule in Travis County (Austin and environs) that allowed Mr. Earle’s circus of a case against Tom DeLay to proceed in the first place ensured that he was never held to account for his gross and shameful abuse of the public trust. Mr. DeLay did not earn his nickname, “The Hammer,” for being a nice guy, but the attempt of Texas Democrats to criminalize politics, and the decade-plus persecution of Mr. DeLay that resulted from it, is an act of corruption in the most literal sense of that word, eroding the legal and political institutions that enable democratic self-rule in a constitutional republic. Mr. DeLay has cause to celebrate today, but for the rest of us this matter, even though properly resolved at last, is a cause for nothing but shame.

DeLay

From NRO, which includes a brief summary of what it calls the “persecution” rather than “prosecution” of Tom Delay:

There are many legitimate criticisms that may be made of Tom DeLay, from some of his political choices to his appearances on Dancing with the Stars. But he is not a criminal. On the other hand, his defense team’s complaint alleging criminal misconduct on the part of Mr. Earle is persuasive. Unhappily, the same Democratic single-party rule in Travis County (Austin and environs) that allowed Mr. Earle’s circus of a case against Tom DeLay to proceed in the first place ensured that he was never held to account for his gross and shameful abuse of the public trust. Mr. DeLay did not earn his nickname, “The Hammer,” for being a nice guy, but the attempt of Texas Democrats to criminalize politics, and the decade-plus persecution of Mr. DeLay that resulted from it, is an act of corruption in the most literal sense of that word, eroding the legal and political institutions that enable democratic self-rule in a constitutional republic. Mr. DeLay has cause to celebrate today, but for the rest of us this matter, even though properly resolved at last, is a cause for nothing but shame.

DeLay

A lot of Liberals that have gloated over this persecution of Mr. DeLay find that their noses are out of joint reading this. How dare the judiciary deny the tar and feathering of this man by Liberals.

I take it the other thread on this same topic is NOT going the way you want it to?

http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaking-news-non-msm/173188-delay-conviction-overturned.html

I never wrote that it's going away. Liberals are disappointed that the appeal favored DeLay. The persecutor will take another bite at the rotten apple of their hanging tree. I personally believe that an investigation into Mr. Earle is necessary.

"Mr. Earle, who was hot off an earlier failed attempt to use his office to engage in a similar political persecution of Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, promptly put Mr. DeLay’s scalp at the end of his lance and began considering a run for governor or attorney general. In the event, he would run for lieutenant governor and be defeated in the Democratic primary. He has since lapsed into well-deserved obscurity."

The NRO has been fair in their analysis of the DeLay situation. It does appear that Delay was falsely accused by biased Liberals.

If you're talking to me, I read the beginning of a thread that you joined and saw the predictable way it was going and began this one because I hoped for a legit discussion.

looks like you wanted the normal right wing gang attack screaming about communistic degenerate liberals being responsible for all the evil in the world . :roll:

looks like you wanted the normal right wing gang attack screaming about communistic degenerate liberals being responsible for all the evil in the world . :roll:

Such silly hyperbole. No, that's not what I want. I never liked Tom Delay, but the ginned up charges have cost him 11 years, which I don't think is fair.

Thank you for demonstrating my reason for creating a separate thread that I hoped wouldn't include knee-jerk partisan posts which communicate only stupid, indefensible exaggerations.

Such silly hyperbole. No, that's not what I want. I never liked Tom Delay, but the ginned up charges have cost him 11 years, which I don't think is fair.

Thank you for demonstrating my reason for creating a separate thread that I hoped wouldn't include knee-jerk partisan posts which communicate only stupid, indefensible exaggerations.

We have a DeLay thread. And all sides are giving their opinion.

Its not enough that fringe righties have to dominate this entire site but now you strive to create your own tall right wing threads threads just so you can have a collective bitch-fest all whining together without a contrary voice being heard. :doh

Not gonna happen. Not gonna happen.

You're the one who's providing all the heat on this thread. I appreciate contrarian opinions; I just don't appreciate thoughtless parroting of pre-packaged overgeneralizations and silly hyperbole. Oddly, on threads on which you post inspire these.

Just because there's a nest to foul doesn't mean that one is compelled to foul it. Unless, of course, one is.

DeLay

The Hammer played smashmouth,hardball politics. He beat Dems at their own game,which is why they wanted him destroyed. Boner and that ilk is what they prefer.

The Hammer played smashmouth,hardball politics. He beat Dems at their own game,which is why they wanted him destroyed. Boner and that ilk is what they prefer.

To be a bit more even handed DeLay played smashface hardball with his own party- it wasn't the hyper partisan crowd it is today and Tom had a hand in creating the new template to 'handle' those who balked at toeing the Party line.

In the end while several CONs railed against the legal attack on DeLay, few in his own party mourned his leaving politics. Fewer still would have welcomed him back... :peace

I think that's true. But it doesn't change the fact that what happened to Delay here shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't happen to anybody.

Back
Top Bottom