• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dehumanization

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Does being an atheist inherently "dehumanize" that human being, as one DP member who frequents this sub-forum has declared, without providing any proof for said declaration?

Does being an atheist inherently "dehumanize" that human being, as one DP member has professed?

Yep, but that is based on the concept of “otherizing” those not sharing your opinions (in this case religious beliefs). It certainly goes against the idea of hating the sin, but loving the sinner. The first three commandments are about respecting (thus believing in) God and/or the church.

I doubt that atheists would consider those who profess a belief in an all powerful and all knowing sky daddy to be less than human. After all, to err (make mistakes) is a well known human trait. ;)

I couldn't believe that thread. Like damn there are some annoying atheists out there but I can't imagine hating someone for such a pretty reason as being an atheist.

I doubt that atheists would consider those who profess a belief in an all powerful and all knowing sky daddy to be less than human. After all, to err (make mistakes) is a well known human trait. ;)
I think religion is weird and I don't get it personally but I genuinely could not care less.

I don't spend much time worrying about what theist think of me, I just go about living my life, so far it has worked for me.

If the feeling of being personally watched (over?) by an invisible master makes folks behave better then I see no problem with it.
Or if it makes them happier 🤷‍♂️

Life too short to be miserable and if it gives them meaning then good for them.

I only care about people's actions.

Does being an atheist inherently "dehumanize" that human being, as one DP member who frequents this sub-forum has declared, without providing any proof for said declaration?
I find the Bible "dehumanizing". So much contempt for humanity

Whoever this DP member is, he/she does have a point. I mean that there is even a term like "atheist" for unbelievers. There is no term for people who don't believe in astrology or alchemy.

If the feeling of being personally watched (over?) by an invisible master makes folks behave better then I see no problem with it.
Neither do I. When those folks tell me their invisible master has told them I'm going straight to their hell if I don't stop or start obeying some part of their beliefs I get a little testy. I don't expect them to follow anything I believe. What I do expect is honoring the Constitution.

Well the Bible does say;

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 John 1:10-11 - If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

1 Corinthians 15:33 - Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Matthew 12:30 - He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Well the Bible does say;

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 John 1:10-11 - If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

1 Corinthians 15:33 - Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Matthew 12:30 - He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
Maybe you would be happier living in Vatican City?

post #89

Well the Bible does say;
How does any of that give the conservative Christian anti-abortion movement the right to deny women the Constitutional right to make a very personal decision about their private reproductive lives.
Seem to me those 4 verses simply give Christians permission to act like assholes to non-believers.

How does any of that give the conservative Christian anti-abortion movement the right to deny women the Constitutional right to make a very personal decision about their private reproductive lives.
Seem to me those 4 verses simply give Christians permission to act like assholes to non-believers.
Just pointing out scripture that some believers might reference when justifying lack of social interactions with non believers.

Just pointing out scripture that some believers might reference when justifying lack of social interactions with non believers.
Because some believers seem incapable of thinking for themselves and defer everything to a book written by ancient men with pens.

No, but I could make a case for religion doing that to a human being.

And that justifies banning abortion?.
Nothing justifies banning abortion and I have yet to see a rational or logical argument justifying it.

Nothing justifies banning abortion and I have yet to see a rational or logical argument justifying it.
Neither have I. Banning abortions is a bit like banning collision insurance. You don't have to buy it or use it and it does you no harm if others buy it.

But, here's the strange thing about legal abortion. Those that want to ban it, get abortions just as often as the godless women that believe it should be legal. Figure out that one, if you can.

Neither have I. Banning abortions is a bit like banning collision insurance. You don't have to buy it or use it and it does you no harm if others buy it.

But, here's the strange thing about legal abortion. Those that want to ban it, get abortions just as often as the godless women that believe it should be legal. Figure out that one, if you can.
It's sanctimonious hypocrisy.

On the other hand. As atheists if it should turn out we are wrong then instead of getting to spend eternity at the feet of god with a bunch of christians. Or having to train a bunch of virgins for eternity. We get to spend eternity with rock legends of the past and experienced catholic girls. So, is it really the wrong choice to choose to be an atheist?

Back
Top Bottom