• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Defund Putin’s War Machine

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
: Ukrainian Environmentalist Calls For Global Halt to Fossil Fuel Funding

Amy Goodman said:

Svitlana, I wanted to read from the piece that you wrote with Bill McKibben. I think clearly, overall, it very much ties into what we are seeing today. You say, “Above all, it is obvious that the world’s banks have amorally worked to build Russia’s oil and gas industry, the industry that funds the Russian army, and the industry that Vladimir Putin has used as a cudgel for decades to keep Europe cowering, and that is why we cheered so loudly Tuesday when President Biden, as part of his ban on Russian oil, told American banks to make no new investments in Putin’s oil. As Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted, it strikes at the heart of Putin’s war machine.”

I ask: Are you with me so far?

SVITLANA said: So we called upon all governments of the countries I have mentioned, outside Europe and inside the European Union, to reject, ban, embargo any import of fossil fuels from Russia and
rapidly phase out fossil fuels.

I say: Yes, let's stop the war on 🌏.

transcript, audio, video: www.democracynow.org/2022/3/11/ukrainian_environmentalist_russian_invasion_climate_crisis

I mean, yep. This is objectively something we should do for a great number of reasons.

Amy Goodman said:

Svitlana, I wanted to read from the piece that you wrote with Bill McKibben. I think clearly, overall, it very much ties into what we are seeing today. You say, “Above all, it is obvious that the world’s banks have amorally worked to build Russia’s oil and gas industry, the industry that funds the Russian army, and the industry that Vladimir Putin has used as a cudgel for decades to keep Europe cowering, and that is why we cheered so loudly Tuesday when President Biden, as part of his ban on Russian oil, told American banks to make no new investments in Putin’s oil. As Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted, it strikes at the heart of Putin’s war machine.”

SVITLANA said: So we called upon all governments of the countries I have mentioned, outside Europe and inside the European Union, to reject, ban, embargo any import of fossil fuels from Russia and

transcript, audio, video: www.democracynow.org/2022/3/11/ukrainian_environmentalist_russian_invasion_climate_crisis
Now THIS is more the style of Democracy Now.

I'm thinking most countries in the EU are going to ignore this Svitlana. Those countries had the chance to get out from under Putin's oily thumb...but they didn't. Not even when Trump told them that's what they should do. They made their bed and, even though it stinks right now, they have no choice but to lie in it.

Amy Goodman said:

It might help, but it will not have a major imact as long as they have allies willing to buy.

Amy Goodman said:

Depends. Does "defund" mean "defund," this time?

Amy Goodman said:

OK, but…

Natural-gas exports flowing from Russia to Europe through Ukraine ramped up on Thursday, jumping by nearly 38% from a day earlier, according to data reported by Bloomberg.

Figures from Ukraine's grid operator further showed that these flows were expected to rise by about 24% on Friday compared with Thursday's levels, according to Bloomberg.

Western Europe is heavily reliant on Russian gas supplies, and the increased flow Thursday underscored that continuing dependency. Some 41% of the European Union's gas imports come from Russia, more than twice as much as Norway, the next-largest supplier, according to the most recent EU data.

Back
Top Bottom