• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Definition of majority in American Politics?

Defintion of majority in American Politics.

• Total voters
I don't think that matters. Just asking about the definition of the word majority.

There are a number of different types of majority. Absolute and qualified are probably the most well know. But there can be weighted majorities also. For the US Presidency you normally need more that 50 percent of the electors but not of the votes cast in the election.

Slick Willy didn't get 50% of the vote in 1992 or 1996. If it wasn't for Ross Perot Clinton probably wouldn't have won either election. I voted for door number two.

I wasn't talking about what it takes to win an election. Just the definition of the word majority.

There are a number of different types of majority. Absolute and qualified are probably the most well know. But there can be weighted majorities also. For the US Presidency you normally need more that 50 percent of the electors but not of the votes cast in the election.

I know how the elections work. I'm not talking about the structure of any electoral system. Just the literal definition of the word majority.

I know how the elections work. I'm not talking about the structure of any electoral system. Just the literal definition of the word majority.

All you need do is look in Websters for that. Of course, they don't give you all or even a majority of the types of majorities and the differences.

All you need do is look in Websters for that. Of course, they don't give you all or even a majority of the types of majorities and the differences.

I agree. But apparently that isn't enough as this has gone on for 6 pages here and several on a different thread. I don't think it's really necessary to talk about qualified/absolute majorities as those are different than a simple majority.

Context dude, context. Check out the word in the constitution, in reference to a majority. That is, follow the conversation...

You asked a stupid question, I answered it. Maybe you should do a better job of framing your question. What 'elector' means in the constitution is about as relevant as what 'person' means in the constitution. Hint: The latter doesn't include black people.

Let me spell it out for you as plainly as possible:

A majority is one vote more than 50%

A plurality is more votes received than any other candidate

A voter is one who possesses all of the qualifications to vote, including being registered. Registration is required in all but one state in the country. That was something else they didn't have in 1792.

An elector is one who possesses all of the qualifications to vote but may not be registered to do so.

This isn't rocket science. Figure it out.

You asked a stupid question, I answered it. Maybe you should do a better job of framing your question. What 'elector' means in the constitution is about as relevant as what 'person' means in the constitution. Hint: The latter doesn't include black people.

Let me spell it out for you as plainly as possible:

A majority is one vote more than 50%

A plurality is more votes received than any other candidate

A voter is one who possesses all of the qualifications to vote, including being registered. Registration is required in all but one state in the country. That was something else they didn't have in 1792.

An elector is one who possesses all of the qualifications to vote but may not be registered to do so.

This isn't rocket science. Figure it out.

So following the conversation was too difficult for you. Noted.

Back
Top Bottom