• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Define God

MrWonka

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
What are the minimally required attributes that a thing must have in order to be considered a god?

I'm not taking about your god if you believe in one, I'm talking about the abstract concept of a god. What criteria must a thing meet before you would be willing to allow it to have the designation of a god.

My list:
1.) It must have an intelligence above and beyond what humans would be capable of attaining.
2.) It must have an abilities above and beyond what humans would be capable of attaining.
3.) It must have a stake in the day to day happenings of our universe.
4.) It must regularly influence our world, and it must do so based upon some moral code.

Judging by what's happening on Planet Earth right now that being doesn't exist.

What are the minimally required attributes that a thing must have in order to be considered a god?

I'm not taking about your god if you believe in one, I'm talking about the abstract concept of a god. What criteria must a thing meet before you would be willing to allow it to have the designation of a god.

My list:
1.) It must have an intelligence above and beyond what humans would be capable of attaining.
2.) It must have an abilities above and beyond what humans would be capable of attaining.
4.) It must regularly influence our world, and it must do so based upon some moral code.

God is your conscience in general terms

My list:

God.
Okay, one by one...
1- Intelligence? As measured by ability to interact with the physical world? How can the word intelligence applynto a deity?
2- You mean like real magic, instead of that fake magic people do on stage?
3- What kind of stake? A day-to-day management to ensure the success of the universe?
4- This is the most ludicrous of the list. Regularity, first, and moral code second. Morality being a human construct, well, you know...

The abstract concept of a god can be anything at all. The more we try to narrow down the attributes, the less god-like it becomes. God is mystery with no clues.

Okay, that was creepy. And I'd have to admit it was my favourite creepypasta, too (what's a creepypast?).

I'm glad you liked it. I really enjoy this one.

BTW, a creepypasta is a internet horror story. It comes from the word "copypasta".

Last edited:
And her name is Hillary Clinton! *Cue John Cena Music* lamo

BTW, my comment was a reference to one of my favorite creepypastas:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pySDIX_rIIg

A rather "interesting" way to utilize computerized special effects and make up. When I worked in television my station ran an ESP kind of show called tomorrow's fortune, for which I was the announcer. The show was so bad that we taped snippets of it and inter cut them with a woman in horror make up predicting what would happen next. It won best prize that year at the 'out takes' party, a drunk fest where everyone gets to see the worst mistakes you've made all year.

The make up and head gear the woman used reminded me of the "man" in the video.

A rather "interesting" way to utilize computerized special effects and make up. When I worked in television my station ran an ESP kind of show called tomorrow's fortune, for which I was the announcer. The show was so bad that we taped snippets of it and inter cut them with a woman in horror make up predicting what would happen next. It won best prize that year at the 'out takes' party, a drunk fest where everyone gets to see the worst mistakes you've made all year.

The make up and head gear the woman used reminded me of the "man" in the video.

Yes. It's very creepy isn't it? And it really helps set the tone for the story. :afraid:

Last edited:
The abstract concept of a god can be anything at all. The more we try to narrow down the attributes, the less god-like it becomes. God is mystery with no clues.

That is the whole point. In order to make the existence of god a possibility agnostics and theists try and leave the definition of one so wide open that it can apply to any thing. That is ridiculous. God is not a lamp. Some kid playing sim city on his PC is not a god. Either grow up and define some basic criteria for you magic sky monster or shut the **** up.

My list:

i guess god or gods needs to create things by some power that non gods can not obtain

they do need to have a will otherwise ther just a part of physics

thats about it

God | Define God at Dictionary.com

1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute:
the God of Islam.
3. (lowercase) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. (often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception:
the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
6. (lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
7. (lowercase) any deified person or object.

Define God

kghYHnj.jpg

That is the whole point. In order to make the existence of god a possibility agnostics and theists try and leave the definition of one so wide open that it can apply to any thing. That is ridiculous. God is not a lamp. Some kid playing sim city on his PC is not a god.

There's your problem. You want to narrow this down so much that Agnostics can't argue for unknowable, but you're just another definition twister. Never before, in any philosophy class or any thread on the subject, have I ever heard the requirement of a list like this.

My list:

#3 and 4 especially you seem to have made up on the spot.

God is a word invented by humans, and it means what we use it to represent. Problems arise because the word and concept are both very old and formed before we knew much of what we know now. Sure, some gods were there to make the world simply function. A god made the sun rise, the moon rise, took the souls of the dead, made the crops grow, the rain fall, etc. But the list of gods humans have dreamed up is long and extensive, and the things those supposedly gods do varies greatly.

Either grow up and define some basic criteria for you magic sky monster or shut the **** up.

You're grossly mistaken here, and the attitude does you no good. I don't have to define ****. I don't believe in any god. I don't have a god. I don't follow any god. I'm not arguing for the existence of any particular god. I'm saying that you are making a ton of baseless assumptions in order to "prove" gods don't exist. You're full of **** and I'm calling you out on it and you keep trying to run around the same circle, which is only slightly related to the topic.

Why does a god have to have a stake in our world? Why does it have to be based on some moral code? Because you think that's what gods do? Your argument is a steaming pile of "feels".

There's your problem. You want to narrow this down so much that Agnostics can't argue for unknowable, but you're just another definition twister.
No, that's Agnostics problem. You want to argue for unknowable so you're afraid to set for the conditions that a god would need to meet before you would consider it one. That's not definition twisting it's just setting a definition. The more I argue with people on the internet the more clear it becomes that about 90% of arguments break down over equivocation. Arguing with Agnostics is like arguing over whether nice guys finish last. It's a pointless waste of time because every person you talk to has their own subjective definition of what it means to be "nice." What is and is not a god should not be a subjective term. People may worship different gods, but if we each met one we should both be able to agree whether it is or not.

Never before, in any philosophy class or any thread on the subject, have I ever heard the requirement of a list like this.
Feel free to explain why you think these requirements should not be considered requirements. To me they are. I'm open to the possibility that there are other criteria, or that some of mine could be loosened a bit.

#3 and 4 especially you seem to have made up on the spot.
That is not an argument for them being wrong.

God is a word invented by humans, and it means what we use it to represent. Problems arise because the word and concept are both very old and formed before we knew much of what we know now. Sure, some gods were there to make the world simply function. A god made the sun rise, the moon rise, took the souls of the dead, made the crops grow, the rain fall, etc. But the list of gods humans have dreamed up is long and extensive, and the things those supposedly gods do varies greatly.
What people in the past have used this word for is not really relevant in my book. I'm asking how you today with all your knowledge would define it.

Why does a god have to have a stake in our world? Why does it have to be based on some moral code? Because you think that's what gods do? Your argument is a steaming pile of "feels".
Because as I have pointed out there are hypothetical beings of superior power that do exhibit most of the other qualities, but that would not be considered gods. This criteria seems to be the thing that separates those non-gods from generally considered gods. Can you name a hypothetical being which exhibits the other qualities, and not that quality which should be considered a god?

Back
Top Bottom