• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Define: Civility

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Man, I was glad to find this place. The motto did it for me; "Political bias optional, civility a MUST!" Happiness abounds! No more ugliness, civil discourse would be the norm. I read the rules, I happily agreed to abide by the rules.

It was a matter of hours before I discovered that a fair number of people in here seem to operate from a place of "I'm right, and anybody who doesn't agree with me is obviously, therefore, <less than> and shall be treated as such."

Gee. That's not at all a frustrating mindset to come up against.

Now I'm wondering how many people here would lose their ability to respond to any given post if they were forced to obey basic debate rules.

When I was done laughing, I thought 'Wouldn't it be great if we had just one group where you could start and contribute to a thread but the minute you broke said rules of debate, you were evicted from the group?"

Sooooo. I'm looking into starting one.
:2wave:

What AM I thinking.
:shock:

Last edited:
It is an unfortunate failing that many people think that being right, or in fact that anything they do, can make them better than other people. However, it is a failing that will probably never go away unless we are somehow able to remove the flaws from humanity itself. The best thing you can do with such people is ignore them since engaging them only seems to strengthen that notion.

I used to strongly believe that such people have low self-esteem, and need to build themselves up by tearing others down. I don't think that theory fits across the board, though.

It is an unfortunate failing that many people think that being right, or in fact that anything they do, can make them better than other people. However, it is a failing that will probably never go away unless we are somehow able to remove the flaws from humanity itself. The best thing you can do with such people is ignore them since engaging them only seems to strengthen that notion.

I used to strongly believe that such people have low self-esteem, and need to build themselves up by tearing others down. I don't think that theory fits across the board, though.

I wish it was that simple, but some people's world view leads them to believe that it is legitimate to judge someone's worth on their beliefs or actions. This thread is a good example: http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...ld-people-pay-no-income-tax-allowed-vote.html

It is sad and inhuman that some people would deny another person what is essentially a human right in a society where democracy is a component based on income yet people do it all the time.

Man, I was glad to find this place. The motto did it for me; "Political bias optional, civility a MUST!" Happiness abounds! No more ugliness, civil discourse would be the norm. I read the rules, I happily agreed to abide by the rules.

It was a matter of hours before I discovered that a fair number of people in here seem to operate from a place of "I'm right, and anybody who doesn't agree with me is obviously, therefore, <less than> and shall be treated as such."

Gee. That's not at all a frustrating mindset to come up against.

Now I'm wondering how many people here would lose their ability to respond to any given post if they were forced to obey basic debate rules.

When I was done laughing, I thought 'Wouldn't it be great if we had just one group where you could start and contribute to a thread but the minute you broke said rules of debate, you were evicted from the group?"

Sooooo. I'm looking into starting one.
:2wave:

What AM I thinking.
:shock:

ah...there are many civil people on this site......including some conservatives.

I know there are! There are idiots on any given side of any given debate. I'm not posting from "I'm this" or "I'm that". Everybody here knows there is a large segment of the forum membership who come here on a daily basis and behave badly, causing varying levels and degrees of frustration. I don't care if it's my freakin identical twin from a political and moral standpoint. If they can't treat people with dignity and respect, they are on a list of people I have no desire to interact with.

The point of the thread though is are they even capable of observing the common rules of debate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the share, I am reading there now.

I wish it was that simple, but some people's world view leads them to believe that it is legitimate to judge someone's worth on their beliefs or actions. This thread is a good example: http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...ld-people-pay-no-income-tax-allowed-vote.html

It is sad and inhuman that some people would deny another person what is essentially a human right in a society where democracy is a component based on income yet people do it all the time.

No one here gets a free pass. If you see a post that violates the forum rules, report it. Points add up. There is a notice somewhere around here that lists members (500+ posts?) who were permanently banned due to excessive points (30 or more).

I will do. I've sort of been doing the old "Oh, surely somebody sees that this is not acceptable" and leaving it be. I think I've maybe hit the report button twice.

To me, it's a sign of desperation. If ridiculing the idea doesn't work, then ridicule the poster. I think that's common on all forums. Also think that many of the posters who do that are very young and think it's kewl. I'm a newbie, so I haven't seen the drama that's occurred on the site; but I'd say the moderators step in pretty quickly to post warnings. Also think that, in the moment, people post things they don't really mean. Orrrrr, that people post insults to "get in the game." when they've arrived late to a thread.

I have to laugh, because my first week here, I think it was BDBoop in the Solutions Then? thread that posted to me, "<expletive deleted> you." Hahahahaha!!! (No offense meant here.) No offense was taken with the post anyway. Whoever said it -- it was said in the heat of battle -- civility be damned. ;-)

Can you aim me at that post? I'm pretty sure I wasn't operating in a vacuum when I said it. I just can't remember what truly despicable thing you said to trip my trigger.

To me, it's a sign of desperation. If ridiculing the idea doesn't work, then ridicule the poster. I think that's common on all forums. Also think that many of the posters who do that are very young and think it's kewl. I'm a newbie, so I haven't seen the drama that's occurred on the site; but I'd say the moderators step in pretty quickly to post warnings. Also think that, in the moment, people post things they don't really mean. Orrrrr, that people post insults to "get in the game." when they've arrived late to a thread.

I have to laugh, because my first week here, I think it was BDBoop in the Solutions Then? thread that posted to me, "<expletive deleted> you." Hahahahaha!!! (No offense meant here.) No offense was taken with the post anyway. Whoever said it -- it was said in the heat of battle -- civility be damned. ;-)

I try to be civil, and even when I disagree if it's an honest discussion based upon good tact and at least a respectful manner than I will be happy to discuss. Of course I have my moments where someone is just going out of their way to be "right" no matter how hopelessly wrong they are. When someone irks me I respond in kind, it's a bad trait of mine but it is what it is.

That said, I have been impressed with the more intelligent and civil among the left here on this forum who will bring valid points that I can analyze and even when I disagree might see some validity in at least a portion of the argument. I have some of my brotheren on the right that I detest as well. It all really boils down to whether someone wants to debate or proclaim I guess.

Great thread BTW!

Exactly, and I have the same 'respond in kind' thing I'm trying to get past. It's hard not to verbally dropkick someone when I've been trained by the best. ;)

It all really boils down to whether someone wants to debate or proclaim I guess.

Can you aim me at that post? I'm pretty sure I wasn't operating in a vacuum when I said it. I just can't remember what truly despicable thing you said to trip my trigger.

:rofl:rofl:rofl -- I found it earlier, but it took too long to look again. Something about your mom being 75 years old and having a "darned good memory."

We alllll get our buttons pushed on public forums. I'm generally civil myself, but I've sure been known to "go off" and take the moderator's hits for the right reasons. :lol:

:rofl:rofl:rofl -- I found it earlier, but it took too long to look again. Something about your mom being 75 years old and having a "darned good memory."

We alllll get our buttons pushed on public forums. I'm generally civil myself, but I've sure been known to "go off" and take the moderator's hits for the right reasons. :lol:
I think I'm about to get a few because of a well deserved shot but the guy deserved it.

Probably because she's dying of Lewy Body Dementia ... I wish it was possible to search the basement. Do you remember which sub-forum it was in?

I believe it was the same thread I got told I should commit suicide, because I wasn't sure I wish I'd never been born, given how everything unfolded. Apparently to be sure, I should off myself, and that would .... good lord, I can't even make myself type it. Very confused poster, that one was.

Last edited:
Probably because she's dying of Lewy Body Dementia ... I wish it was possible to search the basement. Do you remember which sub-forum it was in?

I believe it was the same thread I got told I should commit suicide, because I wasn't sure I wish I'd never been born, given how everything unfolded. Apparently to be sure, I should off myself, and that would .... good lord, I can't even make myself type it. Very confused poster, that one was.

It was your abortion thread. Here's the post:

<expletive-deleted> You. My mom knows what her parents told her.

Originally Posted by MaggieD
Your mom has a gr8t memory. Oh, and let's see, that would be somewhere around 75 years ago? Ya' think we do things a little differently now? Maybe? But then again, maybe a better solution would have been for her mother to have had an abortion. Guess you woudn't be arguing this point, would you??
http://www.debatepolitics.com/abortion/77037-solutions-then-9.html

Yeah, I can sure see how my post would have struck a nerve. It's that same old/same old -- we just don't know what's going on in the lives of the anonymous users we meet on internet forums. I always TRY to stay conscious of that. It doesn't always work. I am very sorry about your mom. I had to look up Lewy Body Dementia. Devastating.

I appreciate you looking it up again. Yeah, Estelle Getty died of LBD. Of course they can't make a final diagnosis until she does pass and they can run tests on her brain matter.

Mom's to the point now where she looks like a wax figure and doesn't even recognize her own brother, but her heart just keeps on beating.

I knew after I posted, I mean how would you know right? How would anybody know. So it's not like you just trounced all over.

It was your abortion thread. Here's the post:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/abortion/77037-solutions-then-9.html

Yeah, I can sure see how my post would have struck a nerve. It's that same old/same old -- we just don't know what's going on in the lives of the anonymous users we meet on internet forums. I always TRY to stay conscious of that. It doesn't always work. I am very sorry about your mom. I had to look up Lewy Body Dementia. Devastating.

Back
Top Bottom