• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Defense seeks case dismissal for officer who kneeled on George Floyd

How does that excuse holding your knee on a mans neck until he was obviously unconscious? If it was a fatal level, why then was George Floyd alive for the whole fiasco? The knee restraint killed him IMO.

I was given Fentanyl once for a minor surgery. It knocks you out instantly. George Floyd was obviously awake during the whole ordeal, so the level wasn't even at the level used for surgery.

Fentanyl is a painkiller, not an anesthetic.

Okay, med examiner says a drug overdose. Now add that they can bring in a couple of guys who show that a knee to the neck is not fatal. They could actually show two guys on the floor for 10 minutes with one's knee on the other's neck and no problems. Wow, that would be a really interesting day in the courtroom. Maybe a couple of the higher charges get dropped out?

First, you need to convince people that the knee was ever on the neck vs. across the shoulders. Moreover, you would then need to show how that caused his death, in spite of no scientific evidence, compared to all the other things wrong with him and verifiable.

That is why there is a court to see if that applies in this case.
if that move is not lethal in 9/10 cases and the only case that it is lethal in is that the person
has a pre-existing almost lethal concoction in them well that has to be taken into account.

Not going to work. He had long stopped resisting arrest. They heard him say he couldnt breathe. They stayed on him for almost 9 minutes.

If they had gotten him up sooner, cuffed in the back of the car, they would have seen if he had gone into cardiac arrest and been obligated to get him medical attention...*if* he was that compromised by drugs or anything else.

Otherwise, all you've got are a bunch of people saying..."if the cops hadnt choked him, he would have just dropped dead walking down the street that day." :roll: I dont think a jury is going to buy that.

The extreme disregard for life demonstrated by the cops reaches, IMO, the level of depraved indifference. The cops had no prior knowledge of his health **nor do they ever** with anyone they restrain. If someone isnt resisting and says they cant breathe...you stop crushing them.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Good analogy.

Agreed...if you claim that he had a fatal dose of a drug in his system, then it's the same as killing someone with terminal cancer...they are about to die anyway but the cop's actions brought it on. Unless, again, we get a jury to believe that he was going to collapse and die in the street right when the cops caught him :roll:

Or do you think the defense will try to get into the value of minutes, hours, days, in someone's life? Yeah, that will be interesting. :roll:

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Agreed...if you claim that he had a fatal dose of a drug in his system, then it's the same as killing someone with terminal cancer...they are about to die anyway but the cop's actions brought it on. Unless, again, we get a jury to believe that he was going to collapse and die in the street right when the cops caught him :roll:

Or do you think the defense will try to get into the value of minutes, hours, days, in someone's life? Yeah, that will be interesting. :roll:

What do you think the defense needs to say here? Lol.

All they need to show is that the man wasn't strangled and the case is largely over right then and there. Good luck finding 12 people on a jury that are going to find a reason to put a cop in jail vs. a career criminal, who is resisting the cops, who is high as a f'n kite at the time, while walking around with a ticking time bomb of health problems.

Not going to work. He had long stopped resisting arrest. They heard him say he couldnt breathe. They stayed on him for almost 9 minutes.

If they had gotten him up sooner, cuffed in the back of the car, they would have seen if he had gone into cardiac arrest and been obligated to get him medical attention...*if* he was that compromised by drugs or anything else.

Otherwise, all you've got are a bunch of people saying..."if the cops hadnt choked him, he would have just dropped dead walking down the street that day." :roll: I dont think a jury is going to buy that.

The extreme disregard for life demonstrated by the cops reaches, IMO, the level of depraved indifference. The cops had no prior knowledge of his health **nor do they ever** with anyone they restrain. If someone isnt resisting and says they cant breathe...you stop crushing them.

again that is up for the court to decide. I am simply saying that they have a possible case for dismissal and the
defense is doing their job.

how this actually goes down will be up to the judge.
Honestly I think this cop is guilty of at least manslaughter and gross negligence. I doubt they will hang a murder 2 on him.

What do you think the defense needs to say here? Lol.

All they need to show is that the man wasn't strangled and the case is largely over right then and there. Good luck finding 12 people on a jury that are going to find a reason to put a cop in jail vs. a career criminal, who is resisting the cops, who is high as a f'n kite at the time, while walking around with a ticking time bomb of health problems.

Where is the claim in the report that drugs were the cause of death?

Yeah...we'll see.

again that is up for the court to decide. I am simply saying that they have a possible case for dismissal and the

Honestly I think this cop is guilty of at least manslaughter and gross negligence. I doubt they will hang a murder 2 on him.

Someone else brought that up and yeah...the defense does have to do their jobs. That is part of it.

Where is the claim in the report that drugs were the cause of death?

Yeah...we'll see.

The cause of death is being listed as a heart attack which was brought on by the stress of the situation, the struggle, and specifically the fact that he was loaded with drugs and had massive pre-existing conditions. The official medical examiner report says there was zero evidence of strangulation or asphyxiation, something which is clinically very easily identified.

The cause of death is being listed as a heart attack which was brought on by the stress of the situation, the struggle, and specifically the fact that he was loaded with drugs and had massive pre-existing conditions. The official medical examiner report says there was zero evidence of strangulation or asphyxiation, something which is clinically very easily identified.

Did it specify the heart attack occurred because of the drugs? Gonna have to see that, I must have missed it.

Struggling to breathe can cause heart attacks, as can panic.

Did it specify the heart attack occurred because of the drugs? Gonna have to see that, I must have missed it.

Struggling to breathe can cause heart attacks, as can panic.

There is never going to be a point where they say what killed him. What they did say was what *didn't* kill him, strangulation/asphyxiation.

IE: The cop never choked him. The same thing with Eric Garner. You have these incredibly unhealthy people who decide to get into a resisting match with police.

There is never going to be a point where they say what killed him. What they did say was what *didn't* kill him, strangulation/asphyxiation.

IE: The cop never choked him. The same thing with Eric Garner. You have these incredibly unhealthy people who decide to get into a resisting match with police.

So? Then they cant say that drugs killed him either. But *everyone* saw a man kneeling on him, long after he stopped resisting, and begging for his life because he couldnt breathe.

None of that will be withheld from a jury. And no one doubts that struggling to breath with all that weight on you could cause a heart attack...every person in that jury box will be imagining it happening to them, for example, someone attacking them.

There's no reasonable doubt that the actions of those cops caused **his death that day.**

So? Then they cant say that drugs killed him either. But *everyone* saw a man kneeling on him, long after he stopped resisting, and begging for his life because he couldnt breathe.

None of that will be withheld from a jury. And no one doubts that struggling to breath with all that weight on you could cause a heart attack...every person in that jury box will be imagining it happening to them, for example, someone attacking them.

There's no reasonable doubt that the actions of those cops caused **his death that day.**

If you ultimately want to pin something on what killed him it was Floyd's decision to resist arrest when he was not in a physical condition to survive it. He was having a cardiac event *before* that cop was ever on top of him. Watch the video, he is complaining of an inability to breathe long before he starts actively struggling. Why? Simple, the stress of being arrested was simply too much for someone in such poor physical condition with such a cocktail of drugs in his system. That's it, it is all the defense has to say and it is over. Then just point to the ME report that shows the guy was ripped on drugs, was a cardiac time bomb waiting to happen, and a total lack of clinical evidence of any sort of strangulation or asphyxiation. It's game over. Like it or not, that's how this is going to go down.

Then, the best part is the cop is going to turn around and launch a wrongful dismissal and discrimination civil suit against the city, and will very likely win that. I am sure Floyd's family will also win the ghetto lottery as well.

If you ultimately want to pin something on what killed him it was Floyd's decision to resist arrest when he was not in a physical condition to survive it. He was having a cardiac event *before* that cop was ever on top of him. Watch the video, he is complaining of an inability to breathe long before he starts actively struggling. Why? Simple, the stress of being arrested was simply too much for someone in such poor physical condition with such a cocktail of drugs in his system. That's it, it is all the defense has to say and it is over. Then just point to the ME report that shows the guy was ripped on drugs, was a cardiac time bomb waiting to happen, and a total lack of clinical evidence of any sort of strangulation or asphyxiation. It's game over. Like it or not, that's how this is going to go down.

Then, the best part is the cop is going to turn around and launch a wrongful dismissal and discrimination civil suit against the city, and will very likely win that. I am sure Floyd's family will also win the ghetto lottery as well.

The cop's going to be doing all that from a jail cell then. Chauvin at least.

The rest of your post is just wishful thinking. According to you, cops couldnt physically restrain anyone unless they knew of their *current* medical conditions :doh

I think the problem with this is if they fail to establish Murder 2, then the charges against the other officers fall away. Basically, under the law, they can't be accessories to manslaughter or gross negligence due to intent, which is partially why the charges were upped in the first place.

Couple that with the fact that Chauvin may not have killed Floyd, but one of the other officers who knelt on his back and compressed his lungs, and it could get quite messy.

The cause of death, which everyone has been consistent on, was cardiac arrest. The second autopsy, which you claim I conveniently left out, was as bias as it gets. It was done by the plaintiff counsel's go-to medical examiner of record whenever you need a race motivated crime, Michael Baden. This is the same guy who argued about every police shooting he ever saw, including Michael Brown where he was massively discredited in the legal process as being reckless and intentionally misleading.

In the legal world there are obvious defense and plaintiff experts, people who will consistently opine on the same side of the case no matter the circumstances, arguably the best example is Baden and people don't take him really seriously as a result. Meanwhile, actual public office holders citing actual medical evidence and indications are a much more reliable source of information.

The ultimate problem with this entire argument (ie: he was strangled/asphyxiated) is that he was complaining about having breathing troubles before he was on the ground at all. He in fact started complaining relatively early on while still standing outside the patrol car. What does that tell you? It tells you that he wasn't being physically acted on but that the stress of the situation, combined with his already extremely poor health along with his acute intoxication of illegal drugs were causing a cardiac event. The guy was a walking dead man at that point. Look at the statistics I noted above for arterial diameters and constrictions. Do you have any idea how much trouble you are in when you have 90% occlusions of major cardiac arteries? You realize that doesn't mean you have a 10% flow capacity, but instead more like a 1-2% capacity?

Imagine getting into any sort of physical struggle, or even mentally stressing event and you were breathing through a coffee stirrer. Then add the drugs.

The word is 'biased', and you have nothing more than your opinion on that. Dismissed.

The cop's going to be doing all that from a jail cell then. Chauvin at least.

The rest of your post is just wishful thinking. According to you, cops couldnt physically restrain anyone unless they knew of their *current* medical conditions :doh

You think so? That's cute. Cops are *required* to restrain anyone who is resisting arrest. It's not their fault he decided to resist himself to death. Poor drug addict felon :(

The word is 'biased', and you have nothing more than your opinion on that. Dismissed.

Who do you think you are? Judge Judy? Lol. Clown.

I think the problem with this is if they fail to establish Murder 2, then the charges against the other officers fall away. Basically, under the law, they can't be accessories to manslaughter or gross negligence due to intent, which is partially why the charges were upped in the first place.

Couple that with the fact that Chauvin may not have killed Floyd, but one of the other officers who knelt on his back and compressed his lungs, and it could get quite messy.

Which is why the prosecution will have to prove they have the evidence in the dismissal hearing.
I think it was a good move by the defense.

You think so? That's cute. Cops are *required* to restrain anyone who is resisting arrest. It's not their fault he decided to resist himself to death. Poor drug addict felon :(

Your sarcasm is an obvious means to avoid my point, altho perhaps you are not aware that their are levels of restraint and options and that when someone STOPS resisting the use of force should stop instead of continuing until it kills? :roll:

So now, not only do the cops need to know their medical histories, they need to know if a suspect has previous convictions too? LOL, you keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper.

And we're back to the use of excessive force to execute someone is ok 'if they're bad.' That cops are judge and jury.

Hmmm, very anti-American.

Your sarcasm is an obvious means to avoid my point, altho perhaps you are not aware that their are levels of restraint and options and that when someone STOPS resisting the use of force should stop instead of continuing until it kills? :roll:

So now, not only do the cops need to know their medical histories, they need to know if a suspect has previous convictions too? LOL, you keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper.

And we're back to the use of excessive force to execute someone is ok 'if they're bad.' That cops are judge and jury.

Hmmm, very anti-American.

I don't think anyone, especially a jury of 12, is going to consider a knee across someone's shoulders as excessive force. Especially in light of the fact that the medical emergency had begun prior to that and was related to the suspects own health and drug use. Like I said, good luck with getting a cop here prosecuted. My money is he gets paid for wrongful dismissal and discrimination, never sees a day in jail, and a renewed wave of protests for a poor felon who died fighting the cops that no one really cares about.

I don't think anyone, especially a jury of 12, is going to consider a knee across someone's shoulders as excessive force.

--Floyd died :doh

--he had long stopped resisting.

--he clearly said he couldnt breath. He begged for his life.

Especially in light of the fact that the medical emergency had begun prior to that and was related to the suspects own health and drug use.

They had no knowledge of that. His death could have been avoided if they had STOPPED when he STOPPED resisting. No prosecutor will ever be able to prove otherwise. There's no way to prove that Floyd was going to drop dead that day. He DID die at their hands...it's seen on video.

Like I said, good luck with getting a cop here prosecuted.

thank you. This is exactly the problem. Cops have been enabled using brutality and excessive force and racist profiling for...ever. And you want that to continue apparently. Cops that break the law should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law...if their actions are criminal, they should get the same penalties.

My money is he gets paid for wrongful dismissal and discrimination, never sees a day in jail, and a renewed wave of protests for a poor felon who died fighting the cops that no one really cares about.

good luck with that. :shrug:

Yup.

--he had long stopped resisting.

Yup, he was now only being lightly restrained to keep him from rolling or trying to stand up, as is standard procedure for someone who has resisted.

--he clearly said he couldnt breath. He begged for his life.

Yup, which he started saying before active resistance even began, which is the perfect example of how he was already in cardiac event.

They had no knowledge of that. His death could have been avoided if they had STOPPED when he STOPPED resisting. No prosecutor will ever be able to prove otherwise. There's no way to prove that Floyd was going to drop dead that day. He DID die at their hands...it's seen on video.

Correct, the police had no idea what his medical condition was. Which is yet another reason to believe that a large strapping man is not going to be crushed by a moderate sized man placing a knee with a fraction of their body weight across their shoulders. There is a reason that is standard procedure for someone who has resisted arrest. The problem is exactly this, the burden of proof is on the prosecution not the defense. The prosecution needs to prove that the police officers killed him. You can absolutely see evidence of him having a medical event prior to officers wrestling him to the ground, long before in fact. You can also see overwhelming evidence that he was heavily intoxicated on a combination of drugs. You can also see the overwhelming evidence of his poor cardiac health. The police officers knew none of this, they followed procedures for someone resisting arrest and in that process the suspect died because when the suspect decided to begin resisting arrest their own medical complications in fact killed them. You have to show that the officers actions were the proximate cause of his death and that is simply not going to happen.

thank you. This is exactly the problem. Cops have been enabled using brutality and excessive force and racist profiling for...ever. And you want that to continue apparently. Cops that break the law should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law...if their actions are criminal, they should get the same penalties.

I see a suspect who has a long history of breaking the law, who is on a host of illegal narcotics, who is actively committing a federal crime, who is actively resisting arrest being detained and restrained in accordance reasonable action and cause. As I have said, good luck getting 12 people to agree that the cop is the bad guy in this scenario.

good luck with that. :shrug:

Willing to place bets now. That cop walks and gets paid.

Yup.

Yup, he was now only being lightly restrained to keep him from rolling or trying to stand up, as is standard procedure for someone who has resisted.

Yup, which he started saying before active resistance even began, which is the perfect example of how he was already in cardiac event.

Correct, the police had no idea what his medical condition was. Which is yet another reason to believe that a large strapping man is not going to be crushed by a moderate sized man placing a knee with a fraction of their body weight across their shoulders. There is a reason that is standard procedure for someone who has resisted arrest. The problem is exactly this, the burden of proof is on the prosecution not the defense. The prosecution needs to prove that the police officers killed him. You can absolutely see evidence of him having a medical event prior to officers wrestling him to the ground, long before in fact. You can also see overwhelming evidence that he was heavily intoxicated on a combination of drugs. You can also see the overwhelming evidence of his poor cardiac health. The police officers knew none of this, they followed procedures for someone resisting arrest and in that process the suspect died because when the suspect decided to begin resisting arrest their own medical complications in fact killed them. You have to show that the officers actions were the proximate cause of his death and that is simply not going to happen.

I see a suspect who has a long history of breaking the law, who is on a host of illegal narcotics, who is actively committing a federal crime, who is actively resisting arrest being detained and restrained in accordance reasonable action and cause. As I have said, good luck getting 12 people to agree that the cop is the bad guy in this scenario.

Willing to place bets now. That cop walks and gets paid.

Highly biased and not even supported by the video. Floyd's desperation is obvious, as is the complete disregard of the officers. For almost 9 minutes and even bystanders were begging for his life. THEY could see the pressure and pain and desperation. They could hear the begging and gasping. They will also be on the stand. Waste of your typing basically.

I dont do online bets but you're gonna lose that one big time.

Highly biased and not even supported by the video. Floyd's desperation is obvious, as is the complete disregard of the officers. For almost 9 minutes and even bystanders were begging for his life. THEY could see the pressure and pain and desperation. They could hear the begging and gasping. They will also be on the stand. Waste of your typing basically.

I dont do online bets but you're gonna lose that one big time.

Most criminals are indeed rather desperate, hence the proclivity to lie as well and fake medical issues. The officers job is detain a resisting suspect who is suspected of committing a federal crime.

I don't think you understand the process of a trial and how it works, all of this onus is on the prosecution to prove he *murdered* Floyd when all the hard evidence suggests otherwise. Good luck with convicted a cop over a felon based on your feels.

Back
Top Bottom