• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Decorating graves with flowers and visiting graves

What do you think of that traditon?

• it is a good tradition

• it is NOT a good tradition

• I do not know

• I do not care

• other ...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What do you think of that traditon?

I have voted for: it is a good tradition :)

Almost an exact duplicate thread, yet you won't answer simple, direct questions in the first one.

https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...l-day-in-the-year-for-visiting-graves.426016/

Pathetic.

What makes it "good"?
What purpose does it serve?
What's the point?

What do YOU think it says about the people who don't visit graves?

Are you gonna grow some man-pants and answer some questions, or just create inane threads then duck & dodge any attempt to discuss the topic?

It's a waste of money...give me my flowers while I'm living...

Get cremated and get your ashes scattered and then nobody has to be concerned about this. Most gravestones become anonymous and don't mean much after a couple of generations at the most anyway.

So far:

2 x it is a good tradition
1 x it is NOT a good tradition

Most gravestones become anonymous and don't mean much after a couple of generations at the most anyway.

Well, some do and some don't.

Most are simply forgotten after a couple of generations.

That is not the question.
The question is: Decorating graves with flowers and visiting graves

Problem solved.
I do not see any problem here.
I like the look of village grave-yards arounf All Saints's Day - full of beautiful flowers and lanterns.

If it give comfort to those who have lost people, I guess it's a good thing.

I don't like the word "decorating" because, to me, it trivializes the remembrance.
What better word would you suggest?
I had the German word "schmücken" in mind. And "schmücken" is not trivial für me.

Not according to some and moreover not according to action. Both Shi'a and Sufi Muslims visit graves and pray to saints. But you knew that.

I thought so!

I think it helps the living much more than the dead.

It is not recommended in Islam.

As it turns out, you are quite wrong.
Go away and study your own religion better - if indeed it is your religion.

I don't like the word "decorating" because, to me, it trivializes the remembrance.

Would you say that planting beautiful flowers is "trivializing"? NOT FOR ME!

Back
Top Bottom