• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Decision Time. Do I go with Sony, LG or Samsung?

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PXL_20220826_142136517.jpg

So that's the living room now. Our couch is 22 feet from the TV, That is a 50" TV
Note that I have the Atmos Sound Bar already set up for a wall mount, we were gonna get a 65" but then the Atlanta thing curved balled it all.
What you can't see is the Series X as it is hiding behind the TV atm. I want to wall mount a TV and move the consoles and record player down to the middle.
So, I have funds coming in next few days, and I'm torn. Do I get:

Advantages: it's OLED, 4 HDMI 2.1 slots and great for gaming
Cons: Not as bright as other options and would require curtains for daytime viewing

The Sony Bravia.

Advantages:
Brighter screen, good gaming options, well regarded
Cons:
2" shorter, and only 2, 2.1 hdmi

The Samsung QLED

Advantages:
Brightest image. At price I can got up 85" should I so desire to be that ambitious, decent gaming
Cons: It's LED, that means less contrast, not as responsive as OLED screens.

Honestly I'm hard leaning into the G2, but I'm curious if others here might have opinions.

Vizio is actually good stuff. And no need for a smart tv. Just get a good quality HD 4k and attach a chromecast to it.

We have a 77” G2 and it’s the best overall display I’ve ever used. I’ve had my eye on the new S95B but the lack of a polarizer kills it for me for the desired application.

View attachment 67408801

So that's the living room now. Our couch is 22 feet from the TV, That is a 50" TV
Note that I have the Atmos Sound Bar already set up for a wall mount, we were gonna get a 65" but then the Atlanta thing curved balled it all.
What you can't see is the Series X as it is hiding behind the TV atm. I want to wall mount a TV and move the consoles and record player down to the middle.

Cons: Not as bright as other options and would require curtains for daytime viewing

The Sony Bravia.

Advantages:
Cons:

The Samsung QLED

Advantages:
Brightest image. At price I can got up 85" should I so desire to be that ambitious, decent gaming

Honestly I'm hard leaning into the G2, but I'm curious if others here might have opinions.
As for the size of TV, when you go to the theater, look at where you like to sit and measure the screen width in extended hands.
then sit on you couch and consider how big a TV needs to be to equal your choice of theater seating.
Open or closed hand does not matter, as long as you use the same in both measurements.

Not sure how this would relate to their TVs, but we bought a new Samsung fridge years ago and it failed in two day.
Contacted the factory, they sent a rep out that said it could not be repaired economically.
Samsung made it right. They told me to cut the cord off the fridge, remove a label and send to the along with a receipt showing total cost plus delivery.
They refunded every penny quickly.

We bought a second one just like the first and it has run well for several years.

I've honestly had great experiences with all 3 brands' TV's, so to me it would come down to features. With the ones you listed, I'm of the opinion that bigger is best.

I agree with @Minerva about Samsung appliances (not great) but I have 2 Samsung TVs going strong after 10 years, same with the main living room LG TV.

View attachment 67408801

The Sony Bravia.

Advantages:
Cons:

The Samsung QLED

Advantages:

Quality wise I have always believed Sony's prices are warranted.

LG is a renamed Goldstar and the last Goldstar I had physically lived longer than the technology. However, the whole curtain thing is a downer.

Samsung or Sony appear the clear choices were it me.

And 22 feet? Did you typo? I pulled recommended TV size.

60 inch90 inches (7.55 feet)

You need a bigger boat....

Well I am really keen on maximizing the Consoles power, and the LG and Sony have the best options for that side of it. But the Samsung I can go bigger... for basically same cost.

Quality wise I have always believed Sony's prices are warranted.

LG is a renamed Goldstar and the last Goldstar I had physically lived longer than the technology. However, the whole curtain thing is a downer.

Samsung or Sony appear the clear choices were it me.

And 22 feet? Did you typo? I pulled recommended TV size.

60 inch90 inches (7.55 feet)

You need a bigger boat....
No our living room is quite long, most people around here make the front sid etheir dining room and the other side living room... Here:

That's our unit. The pictures dont' do the size justice. It is quite a wide lol.

Measuring tool say 19 feet, close enough

No our living room is quite long, most people around here make the front sid etheir dining room and the other side living room... Here:

That's our unit. The pictures dont' do the size justice. It is quite a wide lol.

Measuring tool say 19 feet, close enough
Damn, that is significantly more than my mortgage.

Those are all foreign companies.

Damn, that is significantly more than my mortgage.
YEAH, don't... don't get me started. We're moving in July. Things had gone sideways and when lease came up it was the best least problematic choice at that moment.

View attachment 67408801

The Sony Bravia.

Advantages:
Cons:

The Samsung QLED

Advantages:

I bought the LG C1 77 a few months ago when prices dropped. After having OLED everything else looks inferior.

Also, just check rtings.com

YEAH, don't... don't get me started. We're moving in July. Things had gone sideways and when lease came up it was the best least problematic choice at that moment.
I've been in those shoes.

Sony. Costs more, but worth it. Better quality, and android runs it.

View attachment 67408801

The Sony Bravia.

Advantages:
Cons:

The Samsung QLED

Advantages:

We just purchased an LG and are having all manner of issues with it - albeit minor ones, but annoying nevertheless.

Honestly, next time it'll be a SONY. I'm through experimenting with "cheaper" - cuz, in my experience, that's exactly what you get.

We have all three, with the smallest being 65". You can't go wrong with any of them. The LG is in the bedroom because it is curved and gives the best view from anywhere in the room without having to tilt it. The Samsung is in the Family room because it is the only one we can watch with the curtains open (no glare). The Sony is in the game room because it is unwatchable with the curtains open, and it is not curved. The Xbox doesn't seem to care which one it is plugged into, and I can't tell the difference. All are excellent and trouble free. All three are smart and allow you to load any streaming app you wish. So, despite any technical differences, our choices were based on location.

Danke all. I broke down and went with the LG G2 77", It'll be delivered and installed Wed, I'll post an update pic once done. I SERIOUSLY almost went with the Sony, but the lack of 2.1 ports was a real deal breaker for me.

Back
Top Bottom