• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debunking the myth: The cost of Obama's trip to Asia

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Debunking the myth: The cost of Obama's trip to Asia - CNN.com

(CNN) -- It's a story that originated from a single, unnamed sourced in India -- but it quickly gained momentum, spreading like wildfire among critics of the Obama administration in the United States and eventually, the airwaves.

The claim: The United States will be "spending a whopping $200 million per day" on President Barack Obama's trip to Asia.

That's roughly the amount the federal government spends each day on the war in Afghanistan. The figure has been dismissed by the White House as "wildly inflated."

What's more, the claim doesn't appear to hold water.

The former chief of staff for George W. Bush told CNN's Anderson Cooper in a Thursday interview that it doesn't pass the "sniff test."

"It doesn't to me, but I think the White House is appropriate in saying they don't talk about what it costs for the president to travel," said Andrew Card. "We want our president to be safe wherever he goes. I can't imagine it would cost $200 million a day.

"If it costs anywhere close to that number, the president should be asking tough questions of the Defense Department and the Secret Service and the State Department. But he should also be paying attention to keeping his entourage as small as credibly possible and still do the job that he has to do for the country as he travels."

While the White House has not released specifics on the cost of the trip, citing security concerns, White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage has said, "It's safe to say these numbers are wildly inflated."

Those numbers, according to Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann, are: $200 million a day, $2 billion total, 34 diverted Navy ships, a 2,000-person presidential entourage, and 870 hotel rooms in India.

"And these are five-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel," Bachmann told CNN's "AC 360" Wednesday night.

Pressed by Cooper to back up her numbers, Bachmann said, "These are the numbers that are coming out in the press."

Trip to Mumbai | FactCheck.org

Q: Is President Obama’s trip to India going to cost $200 million per day?

A: This highly doubtful claim originated with one Indian news agency quoting an anonymous source in Mumbai. The White House says it is "wildly exaggerated," and there’s no evidence to support such a huge figure.

(Thanks for posting the fact check in another thread redress, thought it be helpful here too)

So there you have it folks. ONCE AGAIN, Bachmann and the Right create another false claim, get caught, and... they're... not liars?

(How did this crazy ****** get re-elected?)

"You don't have to make stuff up..." was the last word from the video from CNN. Sorry to tell you guys, but we just came off of the last 6 months of politicians "making stuff up". I would agree with the following: Warships are NOT, EVER deployed to protect a President - to do so and were it verified that it was done would be a huge scandal - epic. I'd also agree that the price tag is probably close to what was show for Clinton's trips ... 5-6 million a day. Still expensive but there are requirements for a traveling President who MUST travel to other countries. I would expect the story about 200 million dollars a day probably included the 34 warships cost as well... but since that's obviously bogus, it's a pretty sad statement that's being put out there with no evidence.

As far as making stuff up... puhleeze. This is politics and Washington we're talking about... Lies and deceit rolls off the tongues of politicians, pundits, etc., like water off a duck. I think Andersen needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

"You don't have to make stuff up..." was the last word from the video from CNN. Sorry to tell you guys, but we just came off of the last 6 months of politicians "making stuff up". I would agree with the following: Warships are NOT, EVER deployed to protect a President - to do so and were it verified that it was done would be a huge scandal - epic. I'd also agree that the price tag is probably close to what was show for Clinton's trips ... 5-6 million a day. Still expensive but there are requirements for a traveling President who MUST travel to other countries. I would expect the story about 200 million dollars a day probably included the 34 warships cost as well... but since that's obviously bogus, it's a pretty sad statement that's being put out there with no evidence.

As far as making stuff up... puhleeze. This is politics and Washington we're talking about... Lies and deceit rolls off the tongues of politicians, pundits, etc., like water off a duck. I think Andersen needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
i think the republicans believe, and they are probably right on this, if you repeat it enough, people will believe it, without bothering to check the facts...consider it the first shot against obama for 2012....rush was repeating it, savage was repeating it, beck, hannity.......

How many Republican elected officials have come out repeatedly questioning the cost of the trip being over $200 million a day? As far as I know, one.

Seems silly to me that the majority of people whining about this issue in here, are NOT Republicans... just liberals whining about the Republicans... when only one Republican has gone nuts over the non-issue.

How many Republican elected officials have come out repeatedly questioning the cost of the trip being over $200 million a day? As far as I know, one.

Seems silly to me that the majority of people whining about this issue in here, are NOT Republicans... just liberals whining about the Republicans... when only one Republican has gone nuts over the non-issue.
you don't find it disturbing that a republican representative and a slew of republican talk show hosts are running with this? commenting on it as if it were fact? in fact helping to propagate the lie?

And I would hope we call them on it when they do. It's all those lies that breeds the culture of cynicism we have and I find so distasteful and damaging to our country.

i think the republicans believe, and they are probably right on this, if you repeat it enough, people will believe it, without bothering to check the facts...consider it the first shot against obama for 2012....rush was repeating it, savage was repeating it, beck, hannity.......
Hmm... it's not just Republicans repeating things hoping it sticks. Remember the repeats of how we had to pass the stimulus bill right now... immediately... hurry up... or we'll all dive into another depression. Remember that?

But I agree - this was not a good story to be blathering on about.... it's out and out untruthful.

Back
Top Bottom