• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debt Has Inceased 5 Trillion since Speaker Pelosi Vowed " No New Deficit Spending"

Heavy Duty

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Debt Has Increased $5 Trillion Since Speaker Pelosi Vowed, ‘No New Deficit Spending’
Monday, October 25, 2010
By Terence P. Jeffrey

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi holds one of the pens used by President Barack Obama to sign the health care bill, Tuesday, March 23, 2010, in the East Room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

(CNSNews.com) - When Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave her inaugural address as speaker of the House in 2007, she vowed there would be “no new deficit spending.” Since that day, the national debt has increased by $5 trillion, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

"After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” Pelosi said in her speech from the speaker’s podium. “Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt."

Pelosi has served as speaker in the 110th and 111th Congresses.

At the close of business on Jan. 4, 2007, Pelosi’s first day as speaker, the national debt was $8,670,596,242,973.04 (8.67 trillion), according to the Bureau of the Public Debt, a division of the U.S. Treasury Department. At the close of business on Oct. 22, it stood at $13,667,983,325,978.31 (13.67 trillion), an increase of 4,997,387,083,005.27 (or approximately $5 trillion).

Pelosi, the 60th speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, has added more to the national debt than the first 57 House speakers combined.

Debt Has Increased $5 Trillion Since Speaker Pelosi Vowed,

Once again we see what liars these democrats are when they open their mouths.

I wonder what ever happened to the Pelosi quote "Most Ethical and Honest Congress in History"?

As of early January, "the most ethical Congress ever" hadn't punished a single congressman for ethics violations. Not one, despite the many, many imbroglios in which, to take a not-so-random example, Pelosi crony Jack Murtha was involved. In fact, seven more congressmen were exonerated of ethics charges just today despite their ties to the PMA lobbying group.

Read more: Pelosi Says She's Running Most Ethical Congress Ever, Media Mum | NewsBusters.org

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) insisted on Friday that she is running the most ethical and honest Congress in history. At the same time, however, she indicated she will not ask House Ways and Means Chairman Charles Rangel (D.-N.Y.) to resign his chairmanship-at least for now. Democrook Charlie Rangel was found guilty of ethics violations yesterday. But, at least he wasn't caught stashing $90,000 of cold hard cash in his freezer like crooked democrat William Jefferson who was recently sent to the slammer for 13 years.

Read more: Pelosi Says She's Running Most Ethical Congress Ever, Media Mum | NewsBusters.org

Re: Debt Has Inceased 5 Trillion since Speaker Pelosi Vowed " No New Deficit Spending

Are you calling Nancy Pelosi a liar?!?! She will silence you after her press conference about what an avid supporter she is of the Bill of Rights!

Re: Debt Has Inceased 5 Trillion since Speaker Pelosi Vowed " No New Deficit Spending

Where there is smoke there is fire.

When Pe;osi took office she promise PAYGO that means pay as you go on any spending..........That was $5,000,000,000.000.00 dollars ago........

When Pe;osi took office she promise PAYGO that means pay as you go on any spending..........That was $5,000,000,000.000.00 dollars ago........

Well, they blew a wad alright. Now a new version of PAYGO is being instituted. We pay, they go. Good-Bye.

May they not return to power until we straighten this mess out.

Well, they blew a wad alright. Now a new version of PAYGO is being instituted. We pay, they go. Good-Bye.

May they not return to power until we straighten this mess out.

Please... don't say 'blew a wad' in a thread about Peolsi....

Lets see

The Republican party has either controlled the White House or Congress since 1981 to 2009. In that period, the debt has gone from under 1 trillion to almost 12 trillion....

Let me guess all that debt is the dems fault right? Why did Reagan go along with all this debt? Or Bush? or the Republican congress from 1995 to 2005? Oh yea, cause when the Republicans are in office they spend like drunken sailors in a whore house.

Never count your chickens before they're hatched.

That's the conventional wisdom... this year is anything but conventional.

Lets see

The Republican party has either controlled the White House or Congress since 1981 to 2009. In that period, the debt has gone from under 1 trillion to almost 12 trillion....

Let me guess all that debt is the dems fault right? Why did Reagan go along with all this debt? Or Bush? or the Republican congress from 1995 to 2005? Oh yea, cause when the Republicans are in office they spend like drunken sailors in a whore house.

Is that what your news is telling you in Europe ??? No wonder you get everything you write here wrong.

NEWSFLASH: Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006. They've controlled both the White House and Congress from 2008 to the present. They also controlled the presidency and both houses of Congress from 1992 to 1994.

Now here's two questions for you........

1. Who is able to spend money, Congress or the President ??

2. Did the economy go into the crapper before or after 2006 ??

Answer those two questions and you'll begin to get a clue how we got into this mess, but the American people are quick learners and will fix the problem tomorrow.

Answer those two questions and you'll begin to get a clue how we got into this mess, but the American people are quick learners and will fix the problem tomorrow.

I wouldn't go as far as to say THAT. What's we'll do tomorrow is hopefully stop what the 110th Congress started. I've voting for Congress to be ineffective and for Obama's White House to be a lame duck. The past 10 years worth of spending will not be fixed tomorrow. It will need a vigilent and protracted amount of time and pain to curb the spending and reduce our deficit. This will not be easy.

Interesting statistic... every president whose party lost seats in the mid terms has gone on to win re-election for a 2nd term.

I wouldn't go as far as to say THAT. What's we'll do tomorrow is hopefully stop what the 110th Congress started. I've voting for Congress to be ineffective and for Obama's White House to be a lame duck. The past 10 years worth of spending will not be fixed tomorrow. It will need a vigilent and protracted amount of time and pain to curb the spending and reduce our deficit. This will not be easy.

You have a point, but the problem I meant was handing Congress over to Pelosi and Reid.

It amazing how much faith people have in Republicans to "look out" for your best interest. What republicans don't do wrong or something? Just like democrats, they are politicians who lie as well.

Is that what your news is telling you in Europe ??? No wonder you get everything you write here wrong.

NEWSFLASH: Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006. They've controlled both the White House and Congress from 2008 to the present. They also controlled the presidency and both houses of Congress from 1992 to 1994.

Thank you for proving my point.

You as a good conservative, totally ignore the massive spending spree Republican administrations (Reagan, Bush 1 and 2) plus in periods a Republican controlled congress (both houses from 1995 to 2006)....Yes under your party's leadership in one way or another (Congress or President), the US went from under 1 trillion in debt to 11 trillion.. congrats! But you are first there to promote the fact that one from the opposition wanted to stop deficit spending in 2006, one year before the **** hit the fan.... that is called brain dead partisanship. You, like most of your conservative cohorts, constantly blame Pelosi, Reid and Obama for the crap hole you are in despite it was your lot that had a large (not total) fault in getting you into that hole.... it is ironic you dont mention any of the Republican favourites present and past, who had a large part in the problem.. oh yea they are Republicans and Republicans cant admit any wrongdoing.. it would make them explode!

Now here's two questions for you........

1. Who is able to spend money, Congress or the President ??

Both, need to be way more specific. And frankly so what.. The Republicans had power of Congress from 1995 to 2006, and here the debt went up by many trillions, with deficit spending each year. Under Reagan, the deficit spending was huge, as well as under Bush 1. Are you seriously giving them a free pass for all that but going after Pelosi for "single handed" drove up the debt and deficit during a massive economic crisis that was started under a Republican controlled congress? Are you serious?

2. Did the economy go into the crapper before or after 2006 ??

Yes several times. It was in the crapper in the early 1980s. And who was it btw that was instrumental in causing the 2007 crash? Oh yea, the Republican dominated congress from 1994 onwards.. ups. A Republican controlled congress and later White House that was warned of the problem, but ignored it. A Republican congress that was instrumental in removing the 1930s legislation that made it possible for the crisis to even happen... Again, we keep going back to something the Republicans were involved in.. but I am guessing you are gonna claim it was a Democrat issue since it was Clinton who signed the law..

I know fully well how you got into the mess, it is people like you that are in full denial of what happened. Your comments clearly show that. Let me guess, you gonna blame the dems and Fannie and Freddie like a good conservative? And you claim I have no clue about how everything happened? You do know that over 85% of failed sub-prime mortgages that drove the economy into the ditch were not from Fannie and Freddie right?

American people are not quick learners btw, since you have STILL not fixed the problems that got you into the **** hole you are in now. You all have basically ignored the fundamental problems that got you into the mess.

You as a good conservative, totally ignore the massive spending spree Republican administrations (Reagan, Bush 1 and 2) plus in periods a Republican controlled congress (both houses from 1995 to 2006)....Yes under your party's leadership in one way or another (Congress or President), the US went from under 1 trillion in debt to 11 trillion..

I could be wrong but do not think that the debt was 11 trillion by 2006. Do you have something that shows that number?

I could be wrong but do not think that the debt was 11 trillion by 2006. Do you have something that shows that number?

You are correct, it was only 8 billion. The 11 billion (11.9 actually) was the debt at the end of the Bush 2008-9 budget.

You are correct, it was only 8 billion. The 11 billion (11.9 actually) was the debt at the end of the Bush 2008-9 budget.

This answer seems to be half right. I say that because while the total number is right, it includes money spent on stimulus. This money was added to 2009 spending after Bush left office. It also includes the part of Tarp that was allocated but not spent over Bush. It also does not nclude the monies paid back under TARP. this is not to sat that republicans have been prudent in spending which they have not been. Rather to have a somewhat better baseline.

I proved that you were completely wrong and you claim I proved your point ??? Is that Euro-speak or do you actually believe that ???

The rest of your diatribe is mostly off topic. Feel free to start a thread on any of your "points" and I'll happily shoot each of them down.

You as a good conservative, totally ignore the massive spending spree Republican administrations (Reagan, Bush 1 and 2) plus in periods a Republican controlled congress (both houses from 1995 to 2006)....Yes under your party's leadership in one way or another (Congress or President), the US went from under 1 trillion in debt to 11 trillion.. congrats! But you are first there to promote the fact that one from the opposition wanted to stop deficit spending in 2006, one year before the **** hit the fan.... that is called brain dead partisanship. You, like most of your conservative cohorts, constantly blame Pelosi, Reid and Obama for the crap hole you are in despite it was your lot that had a large (not total) fault in getting you into that hole.... it is ironic you dont mention any of the Republican favourites present and past, who had a large part in the problem.. oh yea they are Republicans and Republicans cant admit any wrongdoing.. it would make them explode!

Both, need to be way more specific. And frankly so what.. The Republicans had power of Congress from 1995 to 2006, and here the debt went up by many trillions, with deficit spending each year. Under Reagan, the deficit spending was huge, as well as under Bush 1. Are you seriously giving them a free pass for all that but going after Pelosi for "single handed" drove up the debt and deficit during a massive economic crisis that was started under a Republican controlled congress? Are you serious?

Yes several times. It was in the crapper in the early 1980s. And who was it btw that was instrumental in causing the 2007 crash? Oh yea, the Republican dominated congress from 1994 onwards.. ups. A Republican controlled congress and later White House that was warned of the problem, but ignored it. A Republican congress that was instrumental in removing the 1930s legislation that made it possible for the crisis to even happen... Again, we keep going back to something the Republicans were involved in.. but I am guessing you are gonna claim it was a Democrat issue since it was Clinton who signed the law..

I know fully well how you got into the mess, it is people like you that are in full denial of what happened. Your comments clearly show that. Let me guess, you gonna blame the dems and Fannie and Freddie like a good conservative? And you claim I have no clue about how everything happened? You do know that over 85% of failed sub-prime mortgages that drove the economy into the ditch were not from Fannie and Freddie right?

American people are not quick learners btw, since you have STILL not fixed the problems that got you into the **** hole you are in now. You all have basically ignored the fundamental problems that got you into the mess.

Spanish Economic Crisis Threatens to Sink Euro Currency | Europe | English
How's your economy?

Please... don't say 'blew a wad' in a thread about Peolsi....

haha - a hot sticky one.

I'm sure he thinks Bush crashed Spain's economy too.

Well, to be honest, Bush was terrible for the American economy. His tax cuts increased the debt and although spurred initial growth they initially slowed the economy down and the tax revenues relative to GDP never improved. Plus, he over extended the military by putting us both in Afghanistan and Iraq, and we all know there was no good reason to go to Iraq. Lets not forget about the $700 billion bailout he signed either. No wonder he had the lowest approval rating of any president. Obama is a great politician and good American, its the economy Bush created that has him getting such a bad rep.

It amazing how much faith people have in Republicans to "look out" for your best interest. What republicans don't do wrong or something? Just like democrats, they are politicians who lie as well.

What is more amusing is that these people think the GOP has an actual idea on how to solve the problems.

Boehner has come out for Obama not to sign any job killing bills....but at the same time wants drastic cuts. What happens when demand from government stops? Jobs go away. And all the jobs dependent on those jobs go away. Boehner has just said to Obama to stop cutting spending! The uber funny **** is that people think that makes sense in the context of reducing the deficit.

What happens when jobs dependent on spending go away? Revenue declines. And the deficit expands. More and more economists are coming out saying that the GOP plan will actually increase the deficit not reduce it.

The GOP is just as lost as the Democrats. Just as every government in history was lost on how to fix a leverage recession. More then a few uber morons here think that financial/leverage recessions are no different from regular recessions. And every time I ask one of them to explain the difference they promptly get the hell out of the thread.

Back
Top Bottom