• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Debates commission plans to cut off mics if Trump or Biden break rules

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Washington — The commission that oversees the general election presidential debates said Wednesday it will be making changes to the format of the remaining two debates. One key change it plans to implement: Cutting off the microphones of President Trump and Joe Biden if they break the rules, according to a source familiar with the commission's deliberations. The plans have not been finalized and the commission is still considering how it would carry out the plan.

The Commission on Presidential Debates is responding to Tuesday's face-off between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden, the Democratic presidential nominee, which was marred by frequent interruptions by the president and mud-slinging.

It will be sad to watch Trump stalk around like an angry ape when he cannot have his way.

Awesome!

Watch Trump try to run over and take Biden's mic (and then watch both secret service teams brawl), or just plain shout.

Awesome!

Watch Trump try to run over and take Biden's mic (and then watch both secret service teams brawl), or just plain shout.

He'll shout, and if Biden can hear it he will still get flustered. It will have the intended effect, even if the audience won't be able to hear what Trump is saying.

He'll shout, and if Biden can hear it he will still get flustered. It will have the intended effect, even if the audience won't be able to hear what Trump is saying.

Biden didn't seem flustered to me. Rather, aggravated that Wallace wasn't doing his job.

If they have another Debate, and that is a Big IF, if trump acts the clown again, Biden should simply walk off and tell the commission that if they cannot control the clown he will not be returning. Personally I believe it is a waste of time, trump showed what sort of clown he is in front of the Entire Nation and World, and since he has no plans to present, everything anyone needs to know is out there.
Trump has now lost any possibility of pulling in new supporters, meaning he either has enough right now or Dems don't show up, otherwise the only way he wins if by cheating and challenging the entire election which is not actually possible. 33 Days and counting......

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biden didn't seem flustered to me. Rather, aggravated that Wallace wasn't doing his job.

His stutter started to show. I think that was what Trump latched on to and why he amped up the intensity. All in all Biden handled it well though, and It backfired on Trump. He came off worse than Biden did.

His stutter started to show. I think that was what Trump latched on to and why he amped up the intensity. All in all Biden handled it well though, and It backfired on Trump. He came off worse than Biden did.

To me, the one thing that might seem off is the "shut up, man". I loved it. Needed to be said.

Then - and I'm forgetting exactly where it happened - but there was one answer where he did stumble about for 20-30 seconds. But that was it. Then he was back on point. But then Wallace cut him off, which pissed me off. Whenever it was, it was after Trump stole most of his time. Wallace should have just jettisoned later time to let Biden answer.

Honestly, I think Obama did far worse in that first 2012 debate than Biden did in this. Biden did about as well as you can do if you're a reserved polite guy, and some braying asshole is assholing at you, and the moderator cannot contain him, and you yourself cannot without denigrating yourself do much of anything to stop it.

They should start out with the mics off when they're not talking.

The moderator will start, of course, so neither of them will talk right away.

Honestly I don't know what this would do for a guy who can talk loud enough to be heard without one.

Wallace said that he doesn’t think cutting Trump’s mic would have been enough to solve the problem.

Reactions: lwf
If they have another Debate, and that is a Big IF, if trump acts the clown again, Biden should simply walk off and tell the commission that if they cannot control the clown he will not be returning. Personally I believe it is a waste of time, trump showed what sort of clown he is in front of the Entire Nation and World, and since he has no plans to present, everything anyone needs to know is out there.
Trump has now lost any possibility of pulling in new supporters, meaning he either has enough right now or Dems don't show up, otherwise the only way he wins if by cheating and challenging the entire election which is not actually possible. 33 Days and counting......
I agree. We already know who Trump is.

I think this is great. I'd love to see The Donald humiliated like that because I doubt he can control himself.

And if he threatens to not show, I hope they have the balls to say, fine! and go on with Biden. Because the next debate is voters asking questions...and Joe can just stand there and speak for himself and his platforms, with no harassment.

i would cut the mics by default, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

If they have another Debate, and that is a Big IF, if trump acts the clown again, Biden should simply walk off and tell the commission that if they cannot control the clown he will not be returning.
No way! Let The Donald humiliate himself more but no way should Biden walk away from his chance to speak to the voters. Walking off is admitting defeat or failure. I can imagine The Donald stomping off if he believes he's not being heard.

And that's who will be asking questions next time...the voters.

True. The tantrum will escalate.

But he'll look worse and worse.

I suspect Trump's advisers will tell him to tone it down for the next debate; I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a winning strategy.

Yep, they cant have America seeing Trump win another two against one debate.

I gotta say, I really enjoy the sheer desperation Trump, and followers like you, are exhibiting. The blatant, obvious, and absurd lies you tell yourselves to claim we “won” a “debate.” The increasingly insane spin attempts.

I saw Wallace on Fox News today, his own network. He was talking about how terrible it was. The host interviewing Wallace tried to hard to lie about this, “did you only admonish Trump because his mic was louder? Maybe you just heard him more.” Wallace was flabbergasted. No, he admonished Trump because Trump was objectively the worst behavior there. Fox News has to spin their own goddamned employees now.

It’s really pathetic. And REALLY hilarious.

Keep it up, Casca.

I gotta say, I really enjoy the sheer desperation Trump, and followers like you, are exhibiting. The blatant, obvious, and absurd lies you tell yourselves to claim we “won” a “debate.” The increasingly insane spin attempts.

I saw Wallace on Fox News today, his own network. He was talking about how terrible it was. The host interviewing Wallace tried to hard to lie about this, “did you only admonish Trump because his mic was louder? Maybe you just heard him more.” Wallace was flabbergasted. No, he admonished Trump because Trump was objectively the worst behavior there. Fox News has to spin their own goddamned employees now.

It’s really pathetic. And REALLY hilarious.

Keep it up, Casca.
Barr may be taking another trip to fox news hq...

Awesome!

The mics for each participant SHOULD be off when the other is answering a question. Problem solved. two minutes to answer and the other's mic is off. The mics are also off when the moderator is asking a question so the moderator cannot be interrupted.
Why is this so difficult?

On another note, how did they get a Trump hater to moderate the second debate? That needs to be changed or we get Sean Hannity for the third one.

Wallace did the best he could. Short of gagging the jackass there was nothing he could really do. Now the jackass is threatening not to participate if he is forced to behave like an adult by allowing the moderator to silence his microphone when Biden has the floor. You know what? The jackass can’t afford that-he has to show up because he needs to do something to swing the needle in the other direction. I wrote this elsewhere but if I am Biden I let the debate committee know that if the jackass interrupts me again I am walking off the stage. Biden doesn’t need to be there. The jackass does.

Back
Top Bottom