• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debate Tactics

Dishonest debaters, we expect them when engaging on discussion boards.

They love using whataboutisms.
Talk about a police killing a black man, and you get "whatabout" all them blacks killing blacks.

They love using deflections.
Criticize a statement made by a Republican, and you get "yeah but" Joe Biden

They love being dismissive.
You make a valid point and you are termed a "hater" or just another "liberal" or my favorite one "you are dismissed"

They love avoiding a direct question.
Ask them a straight up yes or no question, like one I tried once, have you ever listened to a black man, and you get something about reverse racism or the question is nonsensical - anything rather than answer the question.

They love insults.
I mean, they don't even "get" why I adopted the username "Snowflake". Hint, it never was effective as an insult in the first place.

AND they love their sources.
AmericanThinker, Epoch Times, Fox, Breitbart, the list goes on and on.
The irony? They moan and groan about "the MSM"
Point out how their sources have failed factchecks they claim factcheckers are biased and fake.

They also love to accuse you of "trolling" - every time you nail them on a topic. Or of lying. Trump made a fool out of himself again and you point it out and they say you are "lying". Hilarious.

AND I probably shouldn't even mention the outright racism on display.
"Thugs" when describing BLM rioters, and just before posting this someone used "Kameltoe" to describe Kamala Harris on another thread. Obomo and Obummer used to be popular. The most criticized and attacked public figures on discussion boards? AOC and Maxime Waters. Police killing of a black man? They should have obeyed and not resisted.
But hey, don't mention racism to them, they will call YOU a racist, apparently you are racist against whites, even if you are white yourself.

YET they will continue to use such tactics, because they can't "see" how using such tactics looks on them. Are they oblivious?

Last edited:
I see NO "falsehoods" nor open dishonesty, except when you so freely spout MSNBC taking points, without attribution, I might add.

Of course you don’t. You probably don’t realize it, but you make my point exactly.

Sometimes getting into a hyperbole competition with an adversary - and 3rd parties jump in not recognizing the hyperbole element complicated the greater debate.

Sometimes getting into a hyperbole competition with an adversary - and 3rd parties jump in not recognizing the hyperbole element complicated the greater debate.

It’s a discussion forum. DOH!

Whataboutism is an important arguing tool for tyrants because in the end, its the age-old rationale of "everybody does it," so ultimately, the action in question is, if not okay, just unremarkable.
Whataboutism is used to point out the undeniable and most fundamental liberal trait of hypocrisy.

Excellent warrants, emotional distance and a clear head are the keys to successful argumentation.

I keep telling you the Civil War of 2021 started on January 6th and you still don't believe it.
When the second insurrection happens in 2022, will you believe it then?
Let’s see what happens in 2022 in the states before we assume anything. I predict nothing will happen except for the very predictable US midterm swing from the party in power.

Whataboutism is used to point out the undeniable and most fundamental liberal trait of hypocrisy.

Stop seeking self worth in politics. It's pathetic.

Trumpers have "beliefs" and that is enough for them.
Not for me.
I predict August will be miserable weather wise for the entire US and maybe Canada as always and maybe for Southern Europe but every other place will be quite boring
Donald Trump believes he will be reinstated as POTUS in August and numerous groups, including heavily armed insurrectionists and so called "militia" groups are on record as threatening widespread violence and even civil war if that does not come to pass.

Not for me.
I predict August will be miserable weather wise for the entire US and maybe Canada as always and maybe for Southern Europe but every other place will be quite boring
I missed that but I don’t expect anything.

Dishonest debaters, we expect them when engaging on discussion boards.

They love using whataboutisms.
Talk about a police killing a black man, and you get "whatabout" all them blacks killing blacks.

They love using deflections.
Criticize a statement made by a Republican, and you get "yeah but" Joe Biden

They love being dismissive.
You make a valid point and you are termed a "hater" or just another "liberal" or my favorite one "you are dismissed"

They love avoiding a direct question.
Ask them a straight up yes or no question, like one I tried once, have you ever listened to a black man, and you get something about reverse racism or the question is nonsensical - anything rather than answer the question.

They love insults.
I mean, they don't even "get" why I adopted the username "Snowflake". Hint, it never was effective as an insult in the first place.

AND they love their sources.
AmericanThinker, Epoch Times, Fox, Breitbart, the list goes on and on.
The irony? They moan and groan about "the MSM"
Point out how their sources have failed factchecks they claim factcheckers are biased and fake.

They also love to accuse you of "trolling" - every time you nail them on a topic. Or of lying. Trump made a fool out of himself again and you point it out and they say you are "lying". Hilarious.

AND I probably shouldn't even mention the outright racism on display.
"Thugs" when describing BLM rioters, and just before posting this someone used "Kameltoe" to describe Kamala Harris on another thread. Obomo and Obummer used to be popular. The most criticized and attacked public figures on discussion boards? AOC and Maxime Waters. Police killing of a black man? They should have obeyed and not resisted.
But hey, don't mention racism to them, they will call YOU a racist, apparently you are racist against whites, even if you are white yourself.

YET they will continue to use such tactics, because they can't "see" how using such tactics looks on them. Are they oblivious?

Sadly there are people on these forums just here to bitch at others. They look for an excuse, any difference of opinion or worldview and use that to start rolling out insults. Some start small to draw others into a shouting match, others go straight for the throat and get infractions. I suspect many here are not really who they claim their persona is, are much younger and less mature than they claim; others are not really vets, small business owners, parents or working as defence contractors or LEO; others aren’t pretty girls, handsome guys, others may be flat out fake accounts from troll farms.

A great way to gauge it is how many ‘yous’ Are in their posts. It’s one thing to say ‘you said this, but you’re wrong because...’ but when the posters start down the road of ‘you want this, you are that, you don’t care if...’ they have effectively abandoned the issue and are simply trying to frame their opponent and impugn his character. There are smarter ways to do that if someone’s own words genuinely discredit them so badly. Usually it’s just some projection in the mind of their opponent.

The only way to really deal with it is put the serial abusers on ignore. I’ve had many a debate here where no matter how hard I try to steer it back to the topic, the opponent just cannot remain civil and has to make it about me. At that point you have to realise they’re not here for the debate, and probably never were. You can report them but someone really has to go completely off the rails to get suspended; you can lash out, escalating it and sinking to their level. Usually when I think about crossing that line or actually do shout back, I realize they’ve succeeded in derailing and it’s time to block them. Best just to ditch them and find someone else to talk to.

Sadly there’s a certain smug satisfaction that some of those on my ignore list who might have noticed I don’t respond anymore probably think they’ve ‘outsmarted’ me at some point and I can’t take the ‘heat’. Fact is everyone on my ignore list - bar a couple weirdos who post nonsense - is there because they couldn’t stop making personal insults and accusations. Some may admit it to themselves, most probably think they ‘got’ me when in truth they just wore me out. But because of that they cannot conduct a ‘political debate’, and its best to remove such people from your experience here.

Once they’re on ignore they might still be out there responding to your comments and wondering why you don’t respond; they may even be calling you out for ‘refusing’ to answer, but you’ll never know, so they may as well have left the party altogether.

Whataboutism is another way for liberals to outright dismiss your side of the argument instead of having to defend their own. Like "racist!" or "you just don't understand..." or their endless stream of ad homs or any other of the countless logical fallacies they employ.

Back
Top Bottom