• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

debate; school start times

surftide

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
should we delay school start times till after 9 am?:2party:

Studies done for years have shown that the early starting times for high school students deprive them of sleep. Couple that with the copious amount of homework, part time jobs, extracurricular activities and it's clear why so many suffer from stress related illness, depression, drug use and a host o other social maladies.
http://www.elitestv.com/pub/2005/Jun/EEN42a4695ad1d1a.html
http://www.channel4000.com/education/4574303/detail.html
Unfortunately, in too many towns, it's hard to change with 'tradition'; it's too much 'bother' to make switches to schedules, I guess. Here, high school begins at 7:30am and ends at 2:30, the first of the school system to begin the day. In my opinion, it should be last.
There have also been some towns, mostly to the west, that have changed to 4 day school weeks-the children go an extra hour or so a day. Suposedly, the energy savings, the teachers' sick time as well as student attendance have all improved remarkably.
It's the Board of Education's decision to make changes that benefit the students; unfortunately, in most areas these boards are made up of locals, not well-versed in the latest studies and not real quick to 'rock the boat', regardless of the plusses in doing so.

School times of course will effect and affect the learning of all ages. Yes I understand that kindergardeners will be moody if they do not get enough sleep. In my area they have two different starting times for kindergardeners.

High Schools start at 7:25 and end at 2:37... school didn't have enough hours. But there is senior option of less classes, good for them. But public education has been dropping and later times would most likely make test scores go up.

The bell curve has been known to show test scores throughout the nation, if we had later start times the curve would kind of move.

To be continued....

Back
Top Bottom