• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Debate Classifieds [W:163]

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This thread is for those of you looking for a True Debate, Private Debate, or Reverse Debate, but don't already have someone in mind or lined up to debate you. Before posting here, please make sure that you've read the stickies for Battlegrounds and Disputations Guidelines and the sticky with the rules for the particular debate you're looking for.

In your post, please include the following:

*Type of debate you're interested in - True, Private, or Reverse
*Topic(s) you're interested in
*Your position
*Timeframe you are available for a debate (this is especially important for True Debates, not so much so for Private or Reverse)
*Any other pertinent information you can think of

Once you've found an opponent, if you are interested in a True Debate, please PM one of the 'Battlegrounds' mods (Redress, Your Star or Digsbe) so they can set it up for you. If you don't hear back from them within a couple of days, please PM another mod and we will take care of it. Members can set up their own private and reverse debates.

If you have any questions, please PM a 'Battlegrounds' mod.

*Note*
At this time, only the 'True Debates' forum is active. We will look into activating 'Reverse Debates' and 'Private Debates' at a later time if there is enough interest in these mediums.

Last edited:
What are the rules (or what is the style) of True Debates? I Googled and come up empty.

In your post, please include the following:

*Type of debate you're interested in - True, Private, or Reverse
*Topic(s) you're interested in
*Your position
*Timeframe you are available for a debate (this is especially important for True Debates, not so much so for Private or Reverse)
*Any other pertinent information you can think of

Ok, I guess I'll start:

- Interested in a "True Debate"
- Willing to debate on "SSM", "EU/Euro", "Drug war", or "Gun Control"
- I'm pro-SSM, anti-EU(in it's current form, not the entire idea), anti-euro, anti-drug war (in favor of complete legalization), and anti-gun control.
- I have a busy week coming up, but I'd be willing to start one on the 22nd of April.
- Looking for a good, well structured, sourced debate.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I'll start:

- Interested in a "True Debate"
- Willing to debate on "SSM", "EU/Euro", "Drug war", or "Gun Control"
- I'm pro-SSM, anti-EU(in it's current form, not the entire idea), anti-euro, anti-drug war (in favor of complete legalization), and anti-gun control.
- I have a busy week coming up, but I'd be willing to start one on the 22nd of April.
- Looking for a well structured debate too! :)
- Looking for a good, well structured, sourced debate.

Interested in a "True Debate"
- Willing to debate "EU/euro"
- I'm pro-EU(ideally in a reformed EU, but the current is still better than none) and pro-euro currency
- I should be available in the week of the 22nd, until further notice

Interested in a "True Debate"
- Willing to debate "EU/euro"
- I'm pro-EU(ideally in a reformed EU, but the current is still better than none) and pro-euro currency
- I should be available in the week of the 22nd, until further notice

Sounds great. As for format, my recommendation would be that we don't have a time limit, but we have a post limit. I was thinking initial post + 10 posts, with a recommended tempo of at least 1 post per day for each of us monday through friday. That way we could get through the debate over a 2 week period.

As far as topic, I'd say we make the major the euro, because I know you and I disagree the most on that, and as a minor topic the role of the EU.

I would say we try to source our facts for the positive statements we make, and provide sources on request.

We could use cointossr.com as an online way to flip a coin to decide who goes first. If you agree we can schedule a time for that later.

Tentatively monday the 22nd sounds good to me. I definitely look forward to this. Let me know if these terms would be agreeable or if you have anything else to add.

Last edited:
Despite my misgivings about this format I am willing to give this a try. I am available most days in the early mornings and evenings. I am ready to debate almost any topic, i would suggesy possibly the merits of privatization. Feel free to suggest a topic to me.

Sounds great. As for format, my recommendation would be that we don't have a time limit, but we have a post limit. I was thinking initial post + 10 posts, with a recommended tempo of at least 1 post per day for each of us monday through friday. That way we could get through the debate over a 2 week period.

As far as topic, I'd say we make the major the euro, because I know you and I disagree the most on that, and as a minor topic the role of the EU.

I would say we try to source our facts for the positive statements we make, and provide sources on request.

We could use cointossr.com as an online way to flip a coin to decide who goes first. If you agree we can schedule a time for that later.

Tentatively monday the 22nd sounds good to me. I definitely look forward to this. Let me know if these terms would be agreeable or if you have anything else to add.

Ok, sounds good! I'll be here tonight.

Rule 3:

3. All sources must be free for everyone to access. We would prefer that members not have to sign up at a site in order to view content; however, as long as the content is still free, it's permissible.

Does this rule mean both debaters have to own the same book for a cite to be valid, or does it mean any sort of cut and paste from Two Minute Google Scholarship is acceptable but citations from books aren't?

Also, what are the character limits for posts in these debates? Are they limited to whatever the standard is in the rest of the forums?

Rule 3:

Does this rule mean both debaters have to own the same book for a cite to be valid, or does it mean any sort of cut and paste from Two Minute Google Scholarship is acceptable but citations from books aren't?

Also, what are the character limits for posts in these debates? Are they limited to whatever the standard is in the rest of the forums?

It means internet sources, not books. This does not mean you cannot use books as a source of information, but without an internet source it does not "count" as a sourced fact. The issue is that both participants need to have the same access so that they can look up what the other sources and determine it's validity, credibility, and whether the other debater is using the information correctly. Does that properly explain it or am I being less than clear(which has been a problem for me today for some reason...and according to some, a problem for me most days).

The character limit is the same as the rest of the forum. However, if you are going to run out of room in a post due to character limit, simply include "Continued due to character limit" at the end of your post and continue in the next post. If you are using a post count limit(ie a debate that lasts 10 replies), multiple posts due to character limit would only count as 1 reply.

Any other questions I can help with?

Oh, and I am willing to take part in a true debate. Primary interest would be in favor of Same Sex Marriage, but willing to debate most issues on the "liberal" side, even if it's not really my side of the issue, but as an intellectual exercise kinda thing. Contact me about a topic if you are interested.

Is there to be a comments thread for discussing debates in this forum? It's problematic to start one before it's over, since it might influence one or the other debater before the allocated number of posts is used and the debate ends, but generally other sites do this so the lurkers can toss spitballs or kudos from the sidelines.

Great idea!

I'm willing to throw down and let someone take a crack at me.

I'll champion really any social conservative cause, except for gun rights. Christian values are my thing, and that includes a conservative view on education, marriage, drug legalization, abortion, etc.

Is there to be a comments thread for discussing debates in this forum? It's problematic to start one before it's over, since it might influence one or the other debater before the allocated number of posts is used and the debate ends, but generally other sites do this so the lurkers can toss spitballs or kudos from the sidelines.

Yes I e-mailed Redress about this issue too. What are the limitations of the audience/spectators (if any?). Can we cheer or "toss spitballs or kudos from the sidelines?" Or how about clicking Likes?

Yes I e-mailed Redress about this issue too. What are the limitations of the audience/spectators (if any?). Can we cheer or "toss spitballs or kudos from the sidelines?" Or how about clicking Likes?

There will be a discussion thread for each debate that takes place. Here is the thread for the currently active debate: http://www.debatepolitics.com/battl...scussion-thread-rabidalpaca-v-german-guy.html

Maybe you should stick that link in the OP on their formal debate thread to warn people other than them not to post in that thread. Just a suggestion.

Very good idea, thanks.

It is really interesting to see no word that according to what the debaters are picked up; i will come here and spend time to read the arguments of the debaters, but at the same time it will pass my mind that they are worth spending time and reading.

What is the solution for this?

I'm interested in a Reverse Debate about just about anything, but some current hot button issues I can think of would be SSM marriage, illegal immigration, and Gun Control.

As it is a reverse debate, participants would take the opposite position from the one they personally hold. So I would take the anti-SSM position, the anti-illegal immigrant position, or the pro-gun control position. Or, if someone else wants to do a reverse debate but is not fond of the examples I gave, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited to add: I'd also be willing to do a true debate where I take a devil's advocate position against a person I agree with on certain topics such as the existence of God (I would take the theist position, works just as well as a truly reverse debate).

Last edited:
I'm interested in a Reverse Debate about just about anything, but some current hot button issues I can think of would be SSM marriage, illegal immigration, and Gun Control.

As it is a reverse debate, participants would take the opposite position from the one they personally hold. So I would take the anti-SSM position, the anti-illegal immigrant position, or the pro-gun control position. Or, if someone else wants to do a reverse debate but is not fond of the examples I gave, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited to add: I'd also be willing to do a true debate where I take a devil's advocate position against a person I agree with on certain topics such as the existence of God (I would take the theist position, works just as well as a truly reverse debate).

Right now we are not doing "reverse debates" as they used to be. However, if you and another person want to take a side you normally disagree with, go at it.

OPEN CHALLENGE:

I would like to put forth an open challenge to debate the historical original intent of the second amendment. I assert that the second amendment was originally intended by the Framers to protect a militia-based right. The debate should be limited to the history of the original intent, not modern policy.

I have already issued this challenge to some outspoken people on the other side of this argument. So far nobody has accepted the challenge. I look forward to finding an opponent willing and able to debate this issue seriously.

This would be fun, I'm in. Let's do same sex marriage. I'm normally against it, so in this reverse debate I'll take the "pro-SSM" position.

This would be fun, I'm in. Let's do same sex marriage. I'm normally against it, so in this reverse debate I'll take the "pro-SSM" position.

Cool! What structure would you like? I like the opening statements with 10 responses format that Rabid Alpaca and German guy are using, what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom