• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Deb lafave - No jail time

jfuh said:
Have a source to show that most of them are quacks? If a murderer did not make the choice to kill then certainly he should not be held accountable.
Mental disorder, regardless of how you percieve it to be, are likened to being a victim themselves, havning no control over thier thought process. There are numerous scientific studies that proove just this.

Scientific studies by shrinks?

jamesrage said:
Scientific studies by shrinks?
Psychologists, neurologists and biologists.
I'll give you the classic example of bipolar disorder, which is not only mental but caused by genetic defects, hence inheritable.
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

Last edited:
I could only hope that a teacher that looked like this would have "taken advntage" of me at 14. And if I was lucky she would have "taken advantage" of me several times a week.

Calm2Chaos said:
I could only hope that a teacher that looked like this would have "taken advntage" of me at 14. And if I was lucky she would have "taken advantage" of me several times a week.
Apparently, the kid was very "lucky". In the classroom, parking lot, her home, and her car.

Uh, jamesrage and jfuh? You can both shut up.

Jamesrage, her psychiatrist didn't use it to justify her actions, she did. I daresay that you of all people should learn to respect psychiatrists, they don't undergo more than a decade of study just to be told by idiots and Scientologists who haven't got a freaking clue themselves that they are "quacks".

jfuh, bipolar disorder does not result in a compulsive need to have sex with underage boys. As a bipolar patient myself, I've been there - I know the uncontrollable paranoia/irritability it can cause, and the uncharacteristic risk-taking and poor judgement. However, to falsely attribute the fact that she knowingly broke the law to her disorder does everyone with the same illness a great disservice. We are not evil, or dangerous, no more so than the average person. We can fight our sickness, or we can wallow in self-pity, and the far majority of us who are normal, law-abiding citizens would much rather not suffer false stereotypes and stigma just because of one narcissistic criminal who doesn't know how to own up to her mistakes.

vergiss said:
jfuh, bipolar disorder does not result in a compulsive need to have sex with underage boys. As a bipolar patient myself, I've been there - I know the uncontrollable paranoia/irritability it can cause, and the uncharacteristic risk-taking and poor judgement. However, to falsely attribute the fact that she knowingly broke the law to her disorder does everyone with the same illness a great disservice. We are not evil, or dangerous, no more so than the average person. We can fight our sickness, or we can wallow in self-pity, and the far majority of us who are normal, law-abiding citizens would much rather not suffer false stereotypes and stigma just because of one narcissistic criminal who doesn't know how to own up to her mistakes.
Uh, no, I wasn't saying she was bipolar nor was I bagging on those whom are. I was stating that contrary to what james believed there are many whom indeed are mentally ill. It's not something made up by psychologists as james claimed. I was only pointing out of the science behind psychology as james think's psychology is bogus.

Last edited:
Psychiatry and psychology are very different things.

Ignore jamesrage. I doubt anyone will take him seriously, given that he personifies the word "delusional".

vergiss said:

Jamesrage, her psychiatrist didn't use it to justify her actions, she did. I daresay that you of all people should learn to respect psychiatrists, they don't undergo more than a decade of study just to be told by idiots and Scientologists who haven't got a freaking clue themselves that they are "quacks".

I find it very hard to beleave a profession that gets criminals off scott free.Those rat shrinks should never be allowed to in the court room.

jamesrage said:
I find it very hard to beleave a profession that gets criminals off scott free.Those rat shrinks should never be allowed to in the court room.

SCOTT FREE?! :lol:

When the insanity plea does (rarely) stand, the guilty person is still committed to a high-wecurity psychiatric ward. What the hell, you think they'd just go "Oh, okay, voices in your head made you kill this person, so go about your normal civilian life"? Hahaha.

vergiss said:

vergiss, great post. Thank you for being honest about your bipolar disorder.

aps said:
vergiss, great post. Thank you for being honest about your bipolar disorder.

:smile: No problem. Mental illness is not the be-all and end-all of an individual. It's a disease, and people have diseases... big whoop. The sooner people stop stereotyping and belittling (or glorifying) mental disorders, the better for society.

vergiss said:
SCOTT FREE?! :lol:

When the insanity plea does (rarely) stand, the guilty person is still committed to a high-wecurity psychiatric ward. .

Oh wow a hospital,that is so much worse than being bubba's bitch any day of the week.

Calm2Chaos said:

That would proably make a good T-shirt.

jfuh said:
Apparently, the kid was very "lucky". In the classroom, parking lot, her home, and her car.

I feel sorry for him.... I know how annoying it is when hot blonde ***s you like a rabbit in the parking lot of your school.....LOL my teachers were old *** witches that never gave up any a$$

:lol: :lol:

cnredd said:
Or a boy that grows up to treat sex as a predatory function like what was done to him...

But I guess that part shouldn't be relevant, should it...:shrug:

Hmmmm gotta tell you... I as 14 year old and I can't think of any that would take this to mean being a sexual predator was good. I would of thought I was incredibly lucky 14 year old. Specially since thats about all thats on a kids mind at that age, or some such idea.

jamesrage said:
Oh wow a hospital,that is so much worse than being bubba's bitch any day of the week.

Who cares? They're off the street and can't hurt anyone else.

vergiss said:
Who cares? They're off the street and can't hurt anyone else.

When you commit a crime you are supposed to be punished for it,not spend some time in a hospital.

jamesrage said:
When you commit a crime you are supposed to be punished for it,not spend some time in a hospital.

Actually, the point of the US and Australian prison systems is that it's as much about rehabilitation as retribution.

Maximum security psychiatric wards aren't exactly fun, jamesrage. You think losing your freedom for decades is goingto be a walk in the park? :lol: High-tech, locked rooms, barred windows, mimimal contact with anyone, meds up to your eyeballs, plus those sentenced to incarceration in these wards generally serve longer sentences than if they were to be imprisoned - they are kept there indefinitely until the authorities determine that they are no longer a threat to society. If they're put in gaol, the mentally ill will go untreated (which is a violation of basic civil rights - not that you'd care) and therefore will likely pose a serious threat to other inmates, visitors and prison staff, not to mention will eventually be released in the same dangerous condition that got them in there.

A person can only be found not guilty by reason of insanity if it can be proven that, at the time of their crime, they had absoloutely no understanding of the difference between right and wrong and could not understand the consequences of their actions. It's not a matter of "Oh, he had ADHD as a kid, put him in a hospital." It requires full-blown psychosis, or sometimes involuntary intoxication.

vergiss said:
Maximum security psychiatric wards aren't exactly fun, jamesrage. You think losing your freedom for decades is goingto be a walk in the park?
High-tech, locked rooms, barred windows, mimimal contact with anyone, meds up to your eyeballs, plus those sentenced to incarceration in these wards generally serve longer sentences than if they were to be imprisoned - they are kept there indefinitely until the authorities determine that they are no longer a threat to society. If they're put in gaol, the mentally ill will go untreated (which is a violation of basic civil rights - not that you'd care) and therefore will likely pose a serious threat to other inmates, visitors and prison staff, not to mention will eventually be released in the same dangerous condition that got them in there.

You must not read the news.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/29/BAGQLGEB3U1.DTL

A person can only be found not guilty by reason of insanity if it can be proven that, at the time of their crime, they had absoloutely no understanding of the difference between right and wrong and could not understand the consequences of their actions. It's not a matter of "Oh, he had ADHD as a kid, put him in a hospital." It requires full-blown psychosis, or sometimes involuntary intoxication.

That is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard.A person's sanity should have no bearing on determiniing their guilt or innocence.A person's sanity does not change the fact that they commited a crime.A perwson's sanity should have place in the court room.

jamesrage said:

:neutral: Your point is... what, exactly? That people are sometimes found not guilty by reason of insanity? Uh, yeah, that's what I said.

jamesrage said:
That is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard.A person's sanity should have no bearing on determiniing their guilt or innocence.A person's sanity does not change the fact that they commited a crime.A perwson's sanity should have place in the court room.

So you think that (for example) someone suffering from delusions and hallucinations so severe that he believes his brother is a demon trying to kill him, as truly as you and I believe the sky is blue, has the same mental capacity and responsibility as anyone else? You think he's just as cold-blooded and calculating as Scott Peterson, Joseph Smith, and anyone else who actually plots to murder their victim in an act of premeditated brutality?

Should the mentally retarded receive the same punishment and legal treatment as anyone else? What about children, pre-teens or younger? If a 7-year-old picks up his dad's gun and accidentally shoots his sister, should he be tried for attempted murder and go to an adult prison? Don't be ridiculous.

I suggest you educate yourself on mens rea, criminal liability and the other basics of the legal system.

Last edited:
vergiss said:
:neutral: Your point is... what, exactly? That people are sometimes found not guilty by reason of insanity? Uh, yeah, that's what I said.

You made it sound as though people not found guilty by reason of insanity somehow spend the rest of their lifes in a hospital.

So you think that (for example) someone suffering from delusions and hallucinations so severe that he believes his brother is a demon trying to kill him, as truly as you and I believe the sky is blue, has the same mental capacity and responsibility as anyone else?

I find it hillarious you actualy buy that garbage.He didn't see ****.Just because he got some rat lawer and some rat shrink to actually pull off that deception does not mean regular normal folks should by that horseshit..

You think he's just as cold-blooded and calculating as Scott Peterson, Joseph Smith, and anyone else who actually plots to murder their victim in an act of premeditated brutality?

Should the mentally retarded receive the same punishment and legal treatment as anyone else? What about children, pre-teens or younger? If a 7-year-old picks up his dad's gun and accidentally shoots his sister, should he be tried for attempted murder and go to an adult prison? Don't be ridiculous.

I suggest you educate yourself on mens rea, criminal liability and the other basics of the legal system.

A person's mental state should have no bearing on the case of being proven innocent or guilty.A person claiming they saw demons or that they think thye have split personalities does not change the fact that they themselves commited the crime and that they themselves wanted to commit the crime.

Ugh. When you want to leave your own delusions and actually join reality, let me know. In the meantime, go stalk abortion doctors or something. :roll:

vergiss said:
Ugh. When you want to leave your own delusions and actually join reality, let me know. In the meantime, go stalk abortion doctors or something. :roll:

So you beleave it is okay for people to not be convicted and punished for a crime they commited?

jamesrage said:
So you beleave it is okay for people to not be convicted and punished for a crime they commited?

if they are incapible of taking responsibility for the crime, such as children and the mentally ill are, why should they be punished for it?

star2589 said:
if they are incapible of taking responsibility for the crime, such as children and the mentally ill are, why should they be punished for it?

Someone's mental state should have bearing on the fact that they commited a crime.Therefore they should be punsihed for commiting a crime.If a small little child commits a despicable crime then the parent/guardian is responsible.

Back
Top Bottom