• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deaths of two female Army soldiers probed in Texas, one fatally shot on freeway

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Deaths of two female Army soldiers probed in Texas, one fatally shot on freeway

jessica-mitchell-ht-jef-210103_1609701315771_hpMain_16x9_992201-390x205.jpg

1/4/21
The apparently unrelated deaths of two female Army soldiers in Texas are under investigation after officials said one died after being shot in her car on a freeway on New Year's Day and the other was discovered dead in her military barracks on New Year's Eve. The soldiers were identified as 30-year-old Staff Sgt. Jessica Mitchell (above) and 19-year-old Pfc. Asia M. Graham, according to military officials. The back-to-back deaths come just four months after two congressional committees launched probes into the high number of deaths at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas, in 2020, highlighted by the disappearances of three soldiers who were later found dead, including Spc. Vanessa Guillen. Mitchell, a drill sergeant assigned to the U.S. Army Medical Center for Excellence at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, was shot to death around 2:30 a.m. on New Year's Day while driving on Interstate 10 in San Antonio, according to the San Antonio Police Department. Firefighters discovered Mitchell with multiple gunshot wounds after responding to what they initially thought was a car crash, police said. She was taken to University Hospital San Antonio, where she was pronounced dead around 3 a.m., police said. No arrests have been made and police are investigating if Mitchell was targeted.

Miller was recently promoted to the position of drill sergeant assigned to the U.S. Army Medical Center of Excellence (MedCoE) at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, military officials said. "We are devastated by the tragic loss of Drill Sergeant Jessica Mitchell. Our sincere condolences go out to her family and friends. We are focused on supporting Drill Sergeant Mitchell's family as well as her soldiers during this extremely difficult time," Maj. Gen. Dennis LeMaster, the MEDCoE commanding general, said in a statement. Mitchell was on holiday leave at the time of her death, LeMaster said. The fatal shooting is being investigated by the San Antonio Police Department and the Army's Criminal Investigation Division. Graham, of Cherryville, North Carolina, was found unresponsive in her barracks room at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, and pronounced dead by emergency personnel, officials said. The Army is investigating Graham's death. There was no immediate indication that foul play was involved.

I hope the murder of Mitchell and the untimely death of Graham have nothing to do with the US military.

I hope the murder of Mitchell and the untimely death of Graham have nothing to do with the US military.

Of course not, her brother was killed a couple of years ago. I suspect that she was deliberately targeted and killed and it's related to drugs.

I don't know that since her death took place on military property if a military autopsy would take precedent or a civilian autopsy would be considered upon request.

I don't know that since her death took place on military property if a military autopsy would take precedent or a civilian autopsy would be considered upon request.

But the body has to be released to the family if they request it.

But the body has to be released to the family if they request it.
Could the release of her body to the family take place prior to an investigation if the military pursued such an investigation? I'm trying to better understand priorities between the military and civilian authorities without getting too deep in the weeds if possible.

Could the release of her body to the family take place prior to an investigation if the military pursued such an investigation? I'm trying to better understand priorities between the military and civilian authorities without getting too deep in the weeds if possible.

I have no idea how long the military can hold on to the body should the family request it

I would imagine it's not more than 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom