• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Death Penalty / Over 18

What should be the age limit for the death penalty?

• No limit-if the crime is brutal enough, it shouldn't matter

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 18 yrs. and over

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 15 yrs. and over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No death penalty

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

pwo

Reaction score
About a week ago the supreme court ruled against the death penalty for people who were under 18 at the time of the crime. I know a lot of people at debate politics are against the death penalty period, but if we do have it what should be the range for it?

I voted any age - case by case basis of course.

If the crime is very violent the Death Penalty should be considered.

Punishment should fit the crime - regardless of age.

Even if it is a six year old serial killer? You would put him to death? Interesting.

I heard that the ten commandments are in the supreme court - scary. Maybe it says "Thou not kill unless that person has killed someone else."

having been to the row, having been involved with investigating heinous crimes and, having seen the devastation from both sides of the issue, it is my humble opinion that these criminals suffer far more by remaining in the system without possibility of parole. death is too easily accomplished and texas has made the process too sterile and medical (a heinous practice in itself). hopelessness and isolation are far worse than knowing that it will be over someday. life without possibility of parole is much more fitting than strapping someone to a table with a medic out of site that will ease a felon's road to death. life without parole would allow them to work with the rest of the prisoners under slave labor conditions, that is much worse than knowing you're going on to die easily and have essentially done nothing to atone here on earth for the crime. just my opinion, but, i've noticed it's the opinion shared by most intelligent people who have visited "the row". texas prisons are hideous enough for punishment while still living.

I do not believe in the death penalty at all, and apparently has not been a big deterrant from crime. And with the amount of people who are know free from death row and out of jail, because of DNA, well only an idiot savant, would think that innocence people have not been killed. (you know the poor ones). But, I do believe that they way the penal institutions are run, needs to be change. I think they should have farms, were they could work and feed themselves and give to poor states (sell to them for a lower price of course), and this way these ever increasing penal institutions could contribute back to society and help run itself. And these prisoner's "pre-release program would be cleaning up America, because with all of these prisoners, this should be the cleaniest country in the world, and no they would not be paid. They are in jail to pay a debt to society, not get paid by society. And maybe if they worked off this debts, they would not be so institutionalized to prison life. And as part of their probation, especially for those who used public defenders, they would have to pay a fine to that fund, you know help others who might need it, since it help them, and maybe these public defenders, would have the money for these DNA test. Especially since violent offenders will never be able to payback their victims. How about that as oppose to death penality ( which is very costly too)? And of course truth is sentencing.

connie2005 said:
And with the amount of people who are know free from death row and out of jail, because of DNA, well only an idiot savant, would think that innocence people have not been killed.
Reminiscent of the Al Gore 'extra chromosome right-wing' remark where he took a swipe at people with Downs Syndrome.

IMO, The death penalty should be for people from the age of 13 over, just for the fact, 13 is the age where everything really seems to come into focus. A 6 year old wont know better if the whacked another kid to death with a screwdriver, its just stupid for punishing them, blatant idiocy. If anyone should be blamed it should be the parents for allowing there kid to learn how to do such an atrocity.

Given the prosecutorial errors which have occurred over the years, I believe there is sufficient uncertainty to warrant a national policy of life sentences without the possibility of parole.

Once a 'lifer' has been removed from society for good, what's the difference whether he's alive or dead? On the other hand, there will be no more 'mistaken' executions.

Regarding a 6 year old whacking a kid to death with a screwdriver:

That wouldn't be elegible for the death penalty, because capital punishment requires that the murder be planned and depraved, emotions that kids who are unreasonably young are incapable of understanding.

It should be left the way it was before; where judges and juries had the right to determine on a case by case basis if the perpetrator was developed enough to make the decisions.

You all do realize now that in several states, a 17 year old is ruled intelligent and capable enough to choose to murder her unborn baby without consulting with an adult or paying any repurcussions, but is ruled too young and stupid to plan the murder of another teen.

That is ridiculous.

RightatNYU said:
Regarding a 6 year old whacking a kid to death with a screwdriver:

That wouldn't be elegible for the death penalty, because capital punishment requires that the murder be planned and depraved, emotions that kids who are unreasonably young are incapable of understanding.

It should be left the way it was before; where judges and juries had the right to determine on a case by case basis if the perpetrator was developed enough to make the decisions.

You all do realize now that in several states, a 17 year old is ruled intelligent and capable enough to choose to murder her unborn baby without consulting with an adult or paying any repurcussions, but is ruled too young and stupid to plan the murder of another teen.

That is ridiculous.

Here I go again agreeing with you 100%...hahah

I voted for 18 and older.

This is simply because alot of Children do what they do because they are under the influence of peer pressure.. and in some cases under the influence of their parental units. If a father tremendously beat his child into following his every commands for fear of another beating.. and this father told his 9year old Child to take a gun to school and shoot at everybody. The kid, not knowing his options for departing away from his father, does this crime.. he knows that he did this crime and this crime is recorded as meditated crime. I couldn't see how you could give this child the death penalty..

Last edited:
Arch Enemy said:
I voted for 18 and older.

This is simply because alot of Children do what they do because they are under the influence of peer pressure.. and in some cases under the influence of their parental units. If a father tremendously beat his child into following his every commands for fear of another beating.. and this father told his 9year old Child to take a gun to school and shoot at everybody. The kid, not knowing his options for departing away from his father, does this crime.. he knows that he did this crime and this crime is recorded as meditated crime. I couldn't see how you could give this child the death penalty..

A 9 year old wouldn't. Courts have discretion in deciding whether or not to give the death penalty. A situation like this would never be given the death penalty. The death penalty is only used when intent and depravity can be proven, and that only happens when a person acts in a premeditated, unforced manner.

Back
Top Bottom