• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dear Atheists

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm not griping so much as perplexed. Is it true that I cannot say I am a woman of faith? Does it perforce mean that you get to sharpen your debate claws on my beliefs? Scourge99, specifically.

The title of the thread was why do people believe in God. I answered the title. There was nothing in the title to indicate that I needed to explain or defend anything. So I simply answered by saying "I'm very protective of my faith, it's not actually up for discussion. All I am willing to say in this thread is it's a gift - and I don't believe the basis of faith can be explained."

Maybe I'm one of those few-and-far-between Christians who does not preach, or judge. I'm more like a 60's hippie. "Hey man; whatever man. If it makes you happy." I mean, I'm a liberal ffs. I swear like a sailor. Willful ignorance is my biggest pet peeve. I can't stand bullies. I am a Very Bad Christian (as the label in America goes these days). And (shock-n-awe, y'all) - I treat people and their beliefs with dignity and respect and actually expect the same in return. It's karmic, doncha know. Yah.

So, dear atheists. When I say my faith is not up for discussion, please note that I'm not attacking your personal non-belief system, and return the favor.

Kthxbai. :peace

Oh, p.s.: If you strongly feel you must call me on this, kindly start your own thread. I actually believe you can comport yourself as an adult with some level of compassion and understanding.

You're posting on a debate forum where *EVERYTHING* is up for discussion, like it or not. If you don't want to discuss your faith, don't. That doesn't obligate anyone not to talk about it if you choose to. By posting at all, you opened yourself up to challenge, debate and discussion. Learn your lesson for next time and if you truly don't want to discuss it, never post about it in the first place.

And I call bull****. The OP shouldn't ask a question that they only want certain people to answer.

I'm not griping so much as perplexed. Is it true that I cannot say I am a woman of faith? Does it perforce mean that you get to sharpen your debate claws on my beliefs?

The title of the thread was why do people believe in God. I answered the title. There was nothing in the title to indicate that I needed to explain or defend anything. So I simply answered by saying "I'm very protective of my faith, it's not actually up for discussion. All I am willing to say in this thread is it's a gift - and I don't believe the basis of faith can be explained."

Basically, it means that you can't discuss belief on this forum (and probably others) without being ridiculed, unfortunately. Try not to be too offended. When I see that someone just wants to flame me over something that is unprovable, I don't feel compelled to get into a pissing contest. Beliefs are important in the history of humanity, and they often make us better people. Stick to your core principles and beliefs, and let others fire away. It's just imaginary bullets.:)

On one my hand, I certainly would suggest that my fellow atheists to stay on topic and be willing to accept hypothetical premises for the purpose of debate. On the other, I would remind the faithful that this is a debate forum, and anything you say is up for debate, no matter how dearly you hold it. If you say "faith is a gift", you should expect people to question that belief.

Yeah, I went maybe two lightweight rounds with him (him writing books, me refusing to discuss it) and I said I'm leaving the thread, and that was that.

Imaginary bullets, yeah. I am wearing my teflon undies. :D

Disagreeing. Me answering a question doesn't mean anybody gets to stroll past my boundaries just for ****s and giggles. My business partner and one of the nicest guys I know is an agnostic. He could talk my arm off I let him. I don't give him **** about how his mind works, and he does the same for me.

On one my hand, I certainly would suggest that my fellow atheists to stay on topic and be willing to accept hypothetical premises for the purpose of debate. On the other, I would remind the faithful that this is a debate forum, and anything you say is up for debate, no matter how dearly you hold it. If you say "faith is a gift", you should expect people to question that belief.

Disagreeing. Me answering a question doesn't mean anybody gets to stroll past my boundaries just for ****s and giggles.

Actually they do. If you bring up your beliefs in a debate forum for religion they are fair game.

My business partner and one of the nicest guys I know is an agnostic. He could talk my arm off I let him. I don't give him **** about how his mind works, and he does the same for me.

In a professional setting, I would agree that it is probably a bad idea to criticize others religious (or political) beliefs. However, this board is expressly made for disagreement, and the whole point is to be able to argue.

I'm not griping so much as perplexed. Is it true that I cannot say I am a woman of faith? Does it perforce mean that you get to sharpen your debate claws on my beliefs? Scourge99, specifically.
There's a small handful of them. Rude and condescending. Coarse and persecutory. Self-righteous and intolerant.

It is indeed perplexing. They are no different than extremists of any stripe.

If you don't want to discuss your beliefs, don't post them. The choice to discuss them or not is up to you. No need to say "it's not up for discussion", just don't ****ing post about them anymore. Easy peasy.

As an aside, I don't respect anyone's beliefs just because they have them. That would be silly.

The word that comes to mind when I read this thread is "passive-aggressive".

Post whatever the hell you feel comfortable with BDBoop. Thankfully, this board has an Ignore feature.

The word that comes to mind when I read this thread is "passive-aggressive".
There's Nothing "passive" about about this aggression.

Someone started a string calling out a group of posters and indeed One specific one.

She, unlike everyone else here, demands a pass/no challenges for what she posts.
She's trying to carve out a territory without earning it with facts.
If she says the Earth is 6000 years old and created in 6 days by a god... how Dare you disagree!

Alas, she even got the endorsement of a mod for this.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm one of those few-and-far-between Christians who does not preach, or judge. I'm more like a 60's hippie. "Hey man; whatever man. If it makes you happy." I mean, I'm a liberal ffs. I swear like a sailor. Willful ignorance is my biggest pet peeve. I can't stand bullies. I am a Very Bad Christian (as the label in America goes these days). And (shock-n-awe, y'all) - I treat people and their beliefs with dignity and respect and actually expect the same in return. It's karmic, doncha know. Yah.

So, dear atheists. When I say my faith is not up for discussion, please note that I'm not attacking your personal non-belief system, and return the favor.

Kthxbai. :peace

Oh, p.s.: If you strongly feel you must call me on this, kindly start your own thread. I actually believe you can comport yourself as an adult with some level of compassion and understanding.

Saw that exchange. Completely understood your position. You were entitled to post your thoughts and entitled to set your boundaries. There's no use trying to justify one's faith to the faithless. It's a waste of bandwith and air. That's why they call it faith.

Scourge99 was looking for a debate/argument. You chose not to give him one. I say, "You go, girl."

Not an endorsement mbig, a personal assessment from her past experiences in this forum.

And alas, you're never shy about assessing others.

A trip to the ME forum is all it takes to validate that.

Someone started a string calling out a group of posters and indeed One specific one.

She, unlike everyone else here, demands a pass/no challenges for what she posts.

You're right.
EDIT: I think I was noticing the playing of the "those mean ol' atheists" card

Last edited:

If she says the Earth is 6000 years old and created in 6 days by a god... how Dare you disagree!

Oh, brother. What facts would someone post about religion? It's all about faith. "Trying to carve out a territory without earning it," my patoot.

Not an endorsement mbig, a personal assessment from her past experiences in this forum.

And alas, you're never shy about assessing others.

A trip to the ME forum is all it takes to validate that.
This is semantic and intentionally deceptive BS.
Mod Agreement is more than "assessment".

And neither are you shy about assessing others.

In fact, (and talking about passive-aggressive and beyond) this is the only time I can remember you responding, or even acknowledging, a post of mine.
Yet we post oft in the same section.
You came in (or more accurately 'came back' after sparse years) and have seemingly used Ignore the whole time. There were no exchanges leading to this estrangement.
No doubt, and I later realized, picking up this Hostility as a Family matter and only answer now for that same purpose.

Last edited:
Saw that exchange. Completely understood your position. You were entitled to post your thoughts and entitled to set your boundaries. There's no use trying to justify one's faith to the faithless. It's a waste of bandwith and air. That's why they call it faith.

Scourge99 was looking for a debate/argument. You chose not to give him one. I say, "You go, girl."
Faith does not deserve special treatment in discussions.

Almost right on.
Just don't try to say it's MORE than anything BUT Faith.
Voodoo is not science and does Not explain natural phenomenon.

You are NOT entitled to say it's more than faith and "set your boundary" as unchallengable.

Last edited:
Faith does not deserve special treatment in discussions.

What's your point????? OP decided not to discuss her faith. Her choice. End of story.

Why is it that aetheists cannot help themselves? Many on public forums are always trying to "trap" believers. Why does it make any difference at ALL to an aetheist whether or not someone believes there is a god?

To the faithful, no proof is necessary. To a nonbeliever, no proof is enough.

Oh, brother. What facts would someone post about religion? It's all about faith. "Trying to carve out a territory without earning it," my patoot.

What would you think of a statement like "I have faith that [x] is a fact".

Almost right on.
Just don't try to say it's MORE than anything BUT Faith.
Voodoo is not science and does Not explain natural phenomenon.

You are NOT entitled to say it's more than faith and "set your boundary" as unchallengable.

Ah, but you are.

I noticed you edited your post from Right On to Almost Right On. Hahahahaha!!!! Amusing.

Ah, but you are.
NO you aren't.
You can and may be challenged.
That's what the OP is whining about.
She wants a pass, and be able to declare "I claim this board in the name of god" ("The creator"/"PBUH", etc) without a challenge.
The New Conquistadors/Jihad where infidels may not disagree.

I noticed you edited your post from Right On to Almost Right On. Hahahahaha!!!! Amusing.
Yes When I read the "borders" part I changed it to "almost".
But I 100% agree with calling [mere] Faith .. what it is..[mere] faith.
Amuse away.

Last edited:
What would you think of a statement like "I have faith that [x] is a fact".

?? As in, "I have faith that the Bible is based on fact" ? Is that what you mean? Why would I even CARE? The faithful always lose in the minds of aetheists. E = MC Squared proof is not available. Again, that's why they call it faith.

And, again, I ask, "Why do aetheists care?" Are they just looking for what they perceive as a "cheap win?" Are they trying to find a logical reason to believe?

Back
Top Bottom