• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dealers now being charged in drug overdose deaths

It would be Manslaughter, and it would be a very big push.

In some states people get second murder charges these days if they kill someone while drunk driving. It should be manslaughter.

In some states people get second murder charges these days if they kill someone while drunk driving. It should be manslaughter.
I agree. An unintentional death.

Government subsidized profiteering? Getting away without paying taxes? Selling toxic products to customers? Sheesh, drug dealers need to stop beating around the bush and just form a corporation already.

That's as dumb as charging a bartender with murder charges for a DUI case.

Bartenders can be charged when serving obviusly intoxicated people who then DUI.

Bartenders can be charged when serving obviusly intoxicated people who then DUI.

Yeah, and as dumb as that is (and it is), it still stops short of charging them with murder should a.man kill another in a DUI.

Bartenders are right there while you drink.
Do heroin dealers hang out while you do heroin?
Or do people treat heroin dealers more like a liquor store-get it and go.

We don't charge liquor store owners via dram shop laws.

Bartenders DO get fined for over serving some, and for failing to call someone a cab if they look like they need it.

The article states that they are going "up the chain" as far as possible, meaning that the bartender is being largely ignored and that the distributor/distiller is being charged with the customer's death.

Bartenders DO get fined for over serving some, and for failing to call someone a cab if they look like they need it.

I understand that, it's why I made the comment. Wow. And still even with the stupidity of convicting bar tenders by proxy, they don't get hit with murder charges.

This scenario would actually be more akin to charging the clerk at the convenience store for selling the case of beer if the buyer then goes out and kills someone while drunk.

Dealers now being charged in drug overdose deaths Dealers now being charged in drug overdose deaths
This is the right thing to do, obviously.

The accomplice to the crime is also a criminal.

As long as the good common sense laws against drug abuse are what they are, then all who participate in the damage and death of another need be brought to justice.

This is about justice for all.

No one has the liberty to break good common sense laws and participate in the damage and death of another.

I understand that, it's why I made the comment. Wow. And still even with the stupidity of convicting bar tenders by proxy, they don't get hit with murder charges.

I agree, it's stupid. And I didn't read the 90 other posts informing you of this till after I posted, lol.

Bartenders are right there while you drink.
Do heroin dealers hang out while you do heroin?
Or do people treat heroin dealers more like a liquor store-get it and go.

We don't charge liquor store owners via dram shop laws.

I am not saying it is right... that being said, doing heroin is far different than having a beer or even a shot from what you bought at the liquor store.

I am not saying it is right... that being said, doing heroin is far different than having a beer or even a shot from what you bought at the liquor store.
I am just asking of a bartender is the right analogy. Or is a liquor store clerk a more apt analogy?

And then we can charge the Cheesecake Factory when someone has a heart attack from bad cholesterol.

Obviously this is ridiculous.

I am just asking of a bartender is the right analogy. Or is a liquor store clerk a more apt analogy?

Clerk is more apt. Unless you are doing drugs with your dealer like Pineapple Express.

And then we can charge the Cheesecake Factory when someone has a heart attack from bad cholesterol.

Obviously this is ridiculous.

I had a girlfriend that worked behind the counter in the bakery... we got so much cheesecake it was ridiculous.

Why is this dumb?

Would you agree, at least at this point in time, that a "dealer" is someone who is selling illegal drugs and thus in the act of committing a crime?

If so, similar to when someone commits a robbery and a person dies, even if they weren't the one who caused the death, all parties in the commission of the crime can be charged with causing the death.

Why is this dumb?

Would you agree, at least at this point in time, that a "dealer" is someone who is selling illegal drugs and thus in the act of committing a crime?

The individual buying drugs is also committing a crime, and they're the ones choosing to do drugs. The consequences are theirs to bear.

Unless the criminal justice system is willing to execute drug dealers, charging them with manslaughter will amount to the same effect as mandatory minimum sentences: jails and prisons packed beyond capacity, followed shortly by no longer pursuing such prosecution in order to avoid overcrowding.

The individual buying drugs is also committing a crime, and they're the ones choosing to do drugs. The consequences are theirs to bear.

Generally, at least in most jurisdictions, the government doesn't charge and try an individual who successfully commits suicide regardless of the means. They often do, however, charge anyone who can be proven to have assisted in that suicide. Someone selling another sufficient illegal drugs to cause death through overdose is just such a person.

Back
Top Bottom