• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dealers now being charged in drug overdose deaths

Why is this dumb?

Would you agree, at least at this point in time, that a "dealer" is someone who is selling illegal drugs and thus in the act of committing a crime?

If so, similar to when someone commits a robbery and a person dies, even if they weren't the one who caused the death, all parties in the commission of the crime can be charged with causing the death.

I agree, though I think the question should be ask...why aren't they being charged with illegally dealing drugs?

I agree, though I think the question should be ask...why aren't they being charged with illegally dealing drugs?

True enough - in order to prove murder you'd have to prove the underlying crime as well. Chances are the individual has been charged with a litany of other crimes, including dealing, all the way up to the murder charge, in the hope that at least something sticks.

True enough - in order to prove murder you'd have to prove the underlying crime as well. Chances are the individual has been charged with a litany of other crimes, including dealing, all the way up to the murder charge, in the hope that at least something sticks.

Good point, very well could be.

The article states that they are going "up the chain" as far as possible, meaning that the bartender is being largely ignored and that the distributor/distiller is being charged with the customer's death.

Now that's okay. Most dealers are users themselves, which is how they got into the selling business in the first place. They almost never make the product, though some have been known to further dilute it for personal gain. If it can be shown that the dealer did dilute it and that caused the death? Then yeah, they deserve to be tried for murder.

Back
Top Bottom