• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deal with Mexico paves way for asylum overhaul at U.S. border

It's all about context. We can't forget the bad past decision Trump made on this, but at the same time, we can praise him for what appears to be a successful strategy to deal with the problem, which may very well eliminate the bad decision he made earlier. I support Trump on this strategy. He is now headed in the right direction on this issue.

Mexico pulled a Coach Lee Corso, “not so fast!”

Mexican Government Disputes U.S. Claims Of Reaching A Deal On Asylum Seekers

Incoming Mexican government disputes report of tentative deal with US on asylum-seekers

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/in...-of-tentative-deal-with-u-s-on-asylum-seekers

It's all about context. We can't forget the bad past decision Trump made on this, but at the same time, we can praise him for what appears to be a successful strategy to deal with the problem, which may very well eliminate the bad decision he made earlier. I support Trump on this strategy. He is now headed in the right direction on this issue.

Not sure why 'context' has anything to do wit this but, you're correct in saying this is a good strategy.

Yeah, I read that his assistant gave false information. Not on purpose, I'm sure. WAPO ran with it. However, nothing is written in stone yet.

Well, if the Mexican government official just made up the story, Trump should still meet with the Mexican president, run with this, and make it happen. He would be seen as a genius on this issue.

A little suggestion: Trump should read the book "Art of the Deal". :mrgreen:

Well, if the Mexican government official just made up the story, Trump should still meet with the Mexican president, run with this, and make it happen. He would be seen as a genius on this issue.

A little suggestion: Trump should read the book "Art of the Deal". :mrgreen:
You go right ahead and tell him. He'll be very interested in your opinion for sure.

Making this deal work presents an interesting problem. The incoming Mexican interior minister (who subsequently said she hadn't said what was reported) remarked that the problem was the migration and that its solution was to develop the Central American countries. We know poverty propels these migrants from Central America, they say so themselves, if they could find jobs at home they wouldn't be trekking across Mexico. Developing the Central American economy would be quite an expensive proposition which would require a lot of US funding, but Mexico could be quite helpful. If Mexico appeared to lead the initiative and was actively involved in project development this could be a tremendous success, but years from now.

In the shorter term, the cost depends on the flow. With about five thousand encamped in Tijuana already, how many more are on their way? The reinforcement of the border and military deployments with threats of border closure likely will dissuade many potential migrants. Those who anticipated the migrants would be able to cross into the US with little impediment, likely expected this could become an ongoing process and there'd be convoys of these caravans making their way from Central America, there'd be costs associated with that, and ideally the US would help. Evidently this is not how Trump wants to handle it, so the question now is whether the flow will continue, migrants crowd into Mexican border towns and just wait for a couple of years while the US processes all those applications. In this case these migrants will become a burden for Mexico. They are offered help, Tijuana has thousands of factory jobs for them at maquiladoras and there's farm work in the hinterlands, there will be attrition, migrants may take jobs and desist.

Bargaining over the money from the US to Mexico will require evaluating the magnitude of the threat over a period of years, how much will lack of automatic admission dampen the enthusiasm of migrants, will many continue to take these caravans in the hope that after a couple of years they'll make it to the US, will enough of them find work in Mexico an adequate substitute? To the degree Trump plays up the threat, he should be persuaded to loosen purse strings, but if fortifications and troops dissuade enough, this was a one-off and Mexico won't need much help, the trekkers will be absorbed and assimilated.

Last edited:
Well done, Mr. President!!

Mexico denies any deal but my money is on it being negotiated.
And yes - it takes away pressures at the Border.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e-main_borderasylum-1220pm:homepage/story-ans

Cheaper than jailing people. Needless to say Mexico will ask for and receive US funds for this
Expect Tariffs on Mexican products to be lifted
Now the question is how many will Mexico hold inside the country?
I had mentioned previously the best deal is for the US?Mexico to sing a safe 3rd country agreement- regardless of how they enter the US, legal crossings or arrested after an illegal entry

The White House glee is somewhat diminished by

However, in a press release which wasn't actually released, Mr. Trump is reported to have commented

"Maybe he said it, maybe he didn't. We just don't know. We'll have to wait until all the evidence is in before commenting. I am having the CIA look into this right now and their report will be released as soon as it backs up what I want the situation to be.".

When asked about what Mr. Trump had said, Ms. Eminently Purewhite said "I agree with him completely.".

When asked what it was that Mr. Trump had said, Ms. Eminently Purewhite replied "I don't know, but I agree with him completely."

Mexico denies any deal but my money is on it being negotiated.
And yes - it takes away pressures at the Border.

There IS a possibility of a deal being reached.

The Mexicans have hinted that they will build and run facilities to house and feed those people PROVIDED that the US government pays the full cost of building and running those facilities (which, of course, the Mexican government will have total, unquestioned, jurisdiction over while the US government will immediately pay 100% of any accounts rendered without questioning a single item on those accounts.

Your statement indicates a future event not a past event.

That's correct. I would be happy to pay Mexico twice our current housing for asylum seekers cost in order to avoid disgracing our nation by permanently separating children from parents.

If we can avoid that without increasing our costs, great.

Mexico pulled a Coach Lee Corso, “not so fast!”

Mexican Government Disputes U.S. Claims Of Reaching A Deal On Asylum Seekers

Incoming Mexican government disputes report of tentative deal with US on asylum-seekers

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/in...-of-tentative-deal-with-u-s-on-asylum-seekers
It would be suicide at home to a party that just got elected on what was supposed to be an unpredictable win for unashamed reformists. This looks like something the PRI would do, not some the AMLO gov. would do. Many of his campaign promises carried nationalist themes that put Mexico above negotiations with a Trump led government. For AMLO Mexico was weak because it let the DEA and CIA conduct the war on terror for so long. Agreeing to be a processing center for immigrants when nothing has been done to protect Mexicans in the US from Trump's whims will not be ignored by the local leftist and fragile coalition that put AMLO into power.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

It would be suicide at home to a party that just got elected on what was supposed to be an unpredictable win for unashamed reformists. This looks like something the PRI would do, not some the AMLO gov. would do. Many of his campaign promises carried nationalist themes that put Mexico above negotiations with a Trump led government. For AMLO Mexico was weak because it let the DEA and CIA conduct the war on terror for so long. Agreeing to be a processing center for immigrants when nothing has been done to protect Mexicans in the US from Trump's whims will not be ignored by the local leftist and fragile coalition that put AMLO into power.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Maybe the final deal is going to be along the lines of "We'll keep the migrants (as well as Mexicans) from attempting to enter the US (for as long as you pay us the full cost [which we get to define] of doing that) PROVIDED that you legalize all of the MEXICAN illegal immigrants already in the US.".

Its about how much it will cost to gain Mexico's cooperation, that's it. The adequacy of whatever amount is agreed just depends on the value given to Mexican cooperation. The US could just as well shut down the border at every place these caravaning migrants gather and eventually Mexico would have to cooperate even if no money changed hands. What is an open border that allows lawful crossing worth?

Back
Top Bottom