• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deal with Mexico paves way for asylum overhaul at U.S. border

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e-main_borderasylum-1220pm:homepage/story-ans

MEXICO CITY — The Trump administration has won the support of Mexico’s incoming government for a plan to remake U.S. border policy by requiring asylum seekers to wait in Mexico while their claims move through U.S. courts, according to Mexican officials and senior members of president-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s transition team.

The agreement would break with long-standing asylum rules and place a formidable new barrier in the path of Central American migrants attempting to reach the United States and escape poverty and violence. By reaching the accord, the Trump administration has also overcome Mexico’s historic reticence to deepen cooperation with the United States on an issue widely seen here as America’s problem.

The White House had no immediate comment.
Cheaper than jailing people. Needless to say Mexico will ask for and receive US funds for this
Expect Tariffs on Mexican products to be lifted
Now the question is how many will Mexico hold inside the country?
I had mentioned previously the best deal is for the US?Mexico to sing a safe 3rd country agreement- regardless of how they enter the US, legal crossings or arrested after an illegal entry

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e-main_borderasylum-1220pm:homepage/story-ans

Cheaper than jailing people. Needless to say Mexico will ask for and receive US funds for this
I had mentioned previously the best deal is for the US?Mexico to sing a safe 3rd country agreement- regardless of how they enter the US, legal crossings or arrested after an illegal entry

A reasonable decision.

A reasonable decision.

Jailing and separating parents is an utter failure. Not cost effective. Now how will they apply for asylum? Who pays for their upkeep?
Will they be relocated to, and I hesitate to say this, safer parts of the countries. Along the Border, Cartel country

Jailing and separating parents is an utter failure. Not cost effective. Now how will they apply for asylum? Who pays for their upkeep?
Will they be relocated to, and I hesitate to say this, safer parts of the countries. Along the Border, Cartel country

Are you paying attention here?
Who said anything about separating families. In fact, this solution allows these families...such as they are...to remain together.
They will be interviewed and returned to Mexico while the immigration officials hum and haw about it. READ the article.

Are you paying attention here?
Who said anything about separating families. In fact, this solution allows these families...such as they are...to remain together.
They will be interviewed and returned to Mexico while the immigration officials hum and haw about it. READ the article.

Yes I am and yes I did, was referring to Trumps past policy.

OK well...please do try to stay focused here.
I am
It is part of the issues that have arisen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/cost-us-immigrant-detention-trump-zero-tolerance-tents-cages.html
But as of April, children have been separated from their parents with much higher frequency, which has led to the creation of "tent cities" to hold thousands of separated children. Those beds cost $775 per person per night, HHS told NBC News.
Corps have made a fortune off of this

On the surface this looks like a good arrangement. And I’m sure we will need to give up some concessions to Mexico. In fact, there is a good possibility we will be giving up more money in concessions than we actually lose to asylum seekers who don’t show up for their hearings and end up staying illegally (which is a minority of them). So I doubt this will be a fiscal gain, but maybe more people will be happy.

On the surface this looks like a good arrangement. And I’m sure we will need to give up some concessions to Mexico. In fact, there is a good possibility we will be giving up more money in concessions than we actually lose to asylum seekers who don’t show up for their hearings and end up staying illegally (which is a minority of them). So I doubt this will be a fiscal gain, but maybe more people will be happy.

I think it must be a fiscal gain. Perhaps not in GDP as companies scrambled to take economic advantage of an unethical situation, but certainly as a matter of dollars spent. Somehow, bureaucrats manage to make a government bed more expensive than the Hyatt.

If you're considering losses to Mexico in concessions, that's a mountain of math.

If it works for both the US and MX, then I'll praise Trump for it without hesitation.

This sounds like a much better idea than what we have in place. The details will be interesting because there are a lot of logistical and financial issues to sort out. I'll be interested in reading what steps will be taken on the US side to expedite the review of applications along with how the Mexican government plans to handle those rejected for asylum. Ideally those rejected can find opportunities in Mexico, but that's going to be a tough call since cheap labor with threaten many jobs held by citizens.

This sounds like a much better idea than what we have in place. The details will be interesting because there are a lot of logistical and financial issues to sort out. I'll be interested in reading what steps will be taken on the US side to expedite the review of applications along with how the Mexican government plans to handle those rejected for asylum. Ideally those rejected can find opportunities in Mexico, but that's going to be a tough call since cheap labor with threaten many jobs held by citizens.

News report and I do not vouch for the accuracy, state the Mexican Govt say 100 K factory jobs are available in the region
Note that this are is a highly dangerous area due to the Cartels. State dept has advisories out on the dangers due to crimes, murders etc

News report and I do not vouch for the accuracy, state the Mexican Govt say 100 K factory jobs are available in the region
Note that this are is a highly dangerous area due to the Cartels. State dept has advisories out on the dangers due to crimes, murders etc

That's one of the main concerns I have for the migrants. They could be easy targets for the cartels; especially of the migrants find themselves out of work. This then can become a headache for the US because those taken by the cartels will be employed in either the production or shipment of narcotics into the US. We'll see how it goes.

That's one of the main concerns I have for the migrants. They could be easy targets for the cartels; especially of the migrants find themselves out of work. This then can become a headache for the US because those taken by the cartels will be employed in either the production or shipment of narcotics into the US. We'll see how it goes.

In the NY trial of El Chapo, Govt witness, former cartel member, testified bribes were paid to high ranking Govt Officials including the incoming President.
The whole country is corrupted.

I think it must be a fiscal gain. Perhaps not in GDP as companies scrambled to take economic advantage of an unethical situation, but certainly as a matter of dollars spent. Somehow, bureaucrats manage to make a government bed more expensive than the Hyatt.

If you're considering losses to Mexico in concessions, that's a mountain of math.

I'd rather it cost more and be fair and decent.

I'd rather it cost more and be fair and decent.

Is staying in Mexico during processing not fair or decent? It beats the hell out of not seeing ones child again thanks to American bureaucracy.

Is staying in Mexico during processing not fair or decent?

Didn't say it wasn't. I highlighted part of your quote in agreement. I wasn't arguing either way there, only that we not let private entities capitalize on this like we shouldn't allow for pribvate prisons which cost more and are less effective. Even if this costs more, if it's fair and humane it's better, period.

Didn't say it wasn't. I highlighted part of your quote in agreement. I wasn't arguing either way there, only that we not let private entities capitalize on this like we shouldn't allow for pribvate prisons which cost more and are less effective. Even if this costs more, if it's fair and humane it's better, period.

The problem is we allowed companies to capitalize (doing the best they could with a bad situation) on an event that will forever shame America - the separation of families permanently by our bureaucracy.

I would be happy to pay Mexico twice our current cost to prevent that disgrace.

In this regard, I had edited my previous reply.

I guess this means another law suit in the 9th circuit. :roll:

The problem is we allowed companies to capitalize (doing the best they could with a bad situation) on an event that will forever shame America - the separation of families permanently by our bureaucracy.

I would be happy to pay Mexico twice our current cost to prevent that disgrace.

In this regard, I had edited my previous reply.
OK get your check book out make sure your check won't bounce.

Well done, Mr. President!!

And that has what to do with this?
Other than there won't be any more $775 per night?

It's all about context. We can't forget the bad past decision Trump made on this, but at the same time, we can praise him for what appears to be a successful strategy to deal with the problem, which may very well eliminate the bad decision he made earlier. I support Trump on this strategy. He is now headed in the right direction on this issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom