• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deadly polar vortex blasts Midwest with coldest air in decades - live updates

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The combination of snow and below-average temperatures is making everyday tasks almost unbearable, CBS News correspondent DeMarco Morgan reports from Minneapolis. In Fargo, North Dakota, emergency responders braved temperatures hovering around 20 below zero to assist victims in a car crash.
In Grand Rapids, Michigan, whiteout conditions are being blamed for a chain reaction of crashes involving at least two dozen vehicles. No was one was killed.

The arctic blast also put a stop to public transportation. Amtrak canceled all of its trains at Chicago's Union Station due to the extreme cold.

USPS to suspend service in some states

The United States Postal Service said Tuesday it will not deliver mail to areas some parts of the country on Wednesday due to the extreme cold brought on by the polar vortex.

Service will be suspended Wednesday in parts of Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (including parts of Chicago), Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, western Pennsylvania, the Dakotas and Nebraska, the USPS said.

In addition to deliveries, pickups from businesses, residences and collection boxes are also suspended.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/polar-vortex-2019-01-30-winter-storm-jayden-latest-snow-storm-weather-live-updates/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seriously you people who live in the areas that are in the vortex please be careful. The temperature is deadly. With the wind chill is below -50 in some areas. Schools have been canceled in some areas. When the post office closes you know its cold. 60,000 people are without power I worry for them. It's hard to heat your home without electricity. Stay smart and safe. It's colder than Nancy Pelosi's heart. Meanwhile Dallas expects a high of 52 today.

Last edited:
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/polar-vortex-2019-01-30-winter-storm-jayden-latest-snow-storm-weather-live-updates/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seriously you people who live in the areas that are in the vortex please be careful. The temperature is deadly. With the wind chill its below -50 in some areas. Schools have been canceled in areas. When the post office closes you know its cold. 60,000 people are without power I worry for them. It's hard to heat your home without electricity. Stay smart and safe. It's colder than Nancy Pelosi's heart. Meanwhile Dallas expects a high of 52 today.

I am dealing with the edge so only -20 wind chill, but it's freakin cold...Chili time.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone but I am curious how people who believe in awg explain this. If man is warming the planet and responsible for record highs how are we experiencing record lows too?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks like the projected HIGH in Chicago today is -14.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone but I am curious how people who believe in awg explain this. If man is warming the planet and responsible for record highs how are we experiencing record lows too?

Trends vs. single data points.

Experiencing more extreme climates. Hotter summers, colder winters etc

Yeah more extremes are supposed to be part of the global warming thing. Hotter summers and colder winters. And more droughts and flooding. I believe in climate change I still think the exact cause is debatable at this point.

By similar logic, if the stock market is up, then every day must be up, you can't have a day where any value is lost if the stock market is up.

Sorry, but that is an utterly ridiculous argument you are making. We are experiencing record lows, not all time record lows, just record lows for the date, over what amounts to less than 3% of the world's surface. At the same time, the highs out west are above normal. Its a trough in the jet stream, just deeper than normal.

Here in KC, it's -5 out right now with a -20 windchill. Not that unusually cold for us as we have a few days like this most winters. Tomorrow it will be 40 for a high, on Sunday 61, probably a record high for the date as normally we are in the upper teens at night right now and in the 30s during the day.

Trends vs. single data points.
But if its trending on an upward trajectory we should not be setting new lows. I can understand temperature dips but shouldn't the dips be less extreme as we tend upward?

By similar logic, if the stock market is up, then every day must be up, you can't have a day where any value is lost if the stock market is up.

Sorry, but that is an utterly ridiculous argument you are making. We are experiencing record lows, not all time record lows, just record lows for the date, over what amounts to less than 3% of the world's surface. At the same time, the highs out west are above normal. Its a trough in the jet stream, just deeper than normal.

Here in KC, it's -5 out right now with a -20 windchill. Not that unusually cold for us as we have a few days like this most winters. Tomorrow it will be 40 for a high, on Sunday 61, probably a record high for the date as normally we are in the upper teens at night right now and in the 30s during the day.
No need for you be so defensive I asked a sincere question. I made no argument and offered no conclusion.

No need for you be so defensive I asked a sincere question. I made no argument and offered no conclusion.

Sorry I don't mean to sound defensive.

Because weather still exists. Oscillations still happen. It's just statistics. Furthermore, there are more new record highs being set than there are record lows.

There are also regional effects that can cause this "polar vortex" effect to occur more often. The increasing average surface temperature (particularly in the arctic areas) weakens the temperature difference between the northern jetstream area and the southern, warmer areas. This weakens the jetstream. Weaker jetstreams tend to wander more.

Sometimes the jetstream wanders waaay south and ends up dragging a bunch of arctic air down with it.

But if its trending on an upward trajectory we should not be setting new lows.
Statistically an incorrect statement. The record lows should happen less often, not stop entirely. (I suppose eventually record lows would stop entirely, but that would take a huge increase in average global surface temperature)

I can understand temperature dips but shouldn't the dips be less extreme as we tend upward?

On a global average, temperature trends upwards. But this is a regional, temporary situation. Australia just had some record high temperatures.

Is anyone else in a northern state with sub zero temps sort of rooting for global warming right now?

I know some rich dudes on the coast might lose their mega million dollar home because of rising sea levels but at this point I'm tired of dressing like Randy from the Christmas Story every time I need to go outside.

Because weather still exists. Oscillations still happen. It's just statistics. Furthermore, there are more new record highs being set than there are record lows.

There are also regional effects that can cause this "polar vortex" effect to occur more often. The increasing average surface temperature (particularly in the arctic areas) weakens the temperature difference between the northern jetstream area and the southern, warmer areas. This weakens the jetstream. Weaker jetstreams tend to wander more.

Sometimes the jetstream wanders waaay south and ends up dragging a bunch of arctic air down with it.

I understand the theory of why the jet stream weakens, becomes less defined and has dips. If this is the case due to climate change, then jet stream oscillations and their resulting temperature swings would have become more frequent in the last 50 years. Is there any temperature data showing that temp swings have occurred more often in the northern US because of a more frequent 'dipping' jetstream?

Weather is as weather does. Not much we can do about it, we are a part of the entire system. I'd like to hear from the climate scare people, what the weather is supposed to be, if we are the ones causing the weather to be what it's not supposed to be.

Is anyone else in a northern state with sub zero temps sort of rooting for global warming right now?

I know some rich dudes on the coast might lose their mega million dollar home because of rising sea levels but at this point I'm tired of dressing like Randy from the Christmas Story every time I need to go outside.

I'll always remember seeing an illustration in some publication of the Empire State Building with the water level about half way up it. This was decades ago. AFAIK, it hasn't even reached the first floor yet.

That damn global warming!

But if its trending on an upward trajectory we should not be setting new lows. I can understand temperature dips but shouldn't the dips be less extreme as we tend upward?

It’s not a new low for Arctic air. It’s only a new low here because the Arctic air has come here. Climate change deals in volatile weather. While we freeze, Australia is presently experiencing the highest temperatures ever recorded there.

I understand the theory of why the jet stream weakens, becomes less defined and has dips. If this is the case due to climate change, then jet stream oscillations and their resulting temperature swings would have become more frequent in the last 50 years. Is there any temperature data showing that temp swings have occurred more often in the northern US because of a more frequent 'dipping' jetstream?

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0259.1

More-Persistent Weak Stratospheric Polar Vortex States Linked to Cold Extremes

Although this one is an analysis for Europe and Asia, it's obviously the same north pole ;)

Highs are in Alaska...

Nah it's not cold, it's exhilarating!!!

I've lived in the north most of my life, parts of Alaska are on average far Warner than where I grew up.

This is just part of life in the beautiful areas...

Currently my van won't start and my well is frozen. I have been lazy and not gone out and done anything about that but I have to go out a d get firewood, so I will get to work...

It’s not a new low for Arctic air. It’s only a new low here because the Arctic air has come here. Climate change deals in volatile weather. While we freeze, Australia is presently experiencing the highest temperatures ever recorded there.

Hence the term GLOBAL climate change....

Back
Top Bottom