• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dead Soldiers Shipped Home as Freight!

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Maybe instead of denegrating Sen. Kerry for his disrespect of American soldiers perhaps it's time to consider the outrageous disrespect being shown our brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice and the pain being added on top of pain to their families and friends! Read this!

Family Upset Over Soldier's Body Arriving As Freight
Bodies Sent To Families On Commercial Airliners

POSTED: 4:46 pm PST December 9, 2005
UPDATED: 10:19 am PST December 12, 2005

SAN DIEGO -- There's controversy over how the military is transporting the bodies of service members killed overseas, 10News reported.

A local family said fallen soldiers and Marines deserve better and that one would think our war heroes are being transported with dignity, care and respect. It said one would think upon arrival in their hometowns they are greeted with honor. But unfortunately, the family said that is just not the case.

Dead heroes are supposed to come home with their coffins draped with the American flag -- greeted by a color guard.

But in reality, many are arriving as freight on commercial airliners -- stuffed in the belly of a plane with suitcases and other cargo.

John Holley and his wife, Stacey, were stunned when they found out the body of their only child, Matthew John Holley, who died in Iraq last month, would be arriving at Lindbergh Field as freight.

Matthew was a medic with the 101st Airborne unit and died on Nov. 15.

"When someone dies in combat, they need to give them due respect they deserve for (the) sacrifice they made," said John Holley.

John and Stacey Holley, who were both in the Army, made some calls, and with the help of U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer, Matthew was greeted with honor and respect.

"Our familiarity with military protocol and things of that sort allowed us to kind of put our foot down -- we're not sure other parents have that same knowledge," said Stacey Holley.

The Holleys now want to make sure every fallen hero gets the proper welcome.

The bodies of dead service members arrive at Dover Air Force Base.

From that point, they are sent to their families on commercial airliners.

Reporters from 10News called the Defense Department for an explanation. A representative said she did not know why this is happening.
Source: http://www.10news.com/news/5504608/detail.html

Did you note that it was that "lefty" Sen. Boxer who made things right (ironic pun intended)?

Maybe instead of some of you starting threads that are meant to attack other Americans it's time to stand up and remind your local politicians, Democrat or Republican that our dead soldiers deserve the utmost and very best treatment available on this planet! This is not a partisan issue, this is an issue that must be made right!

26 X World Champs said:
Maybe instead of denegrating Sen. Kerry for his disrespect of American soldiers perhaps it's time to consider the outrageous disrespect being shown our brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice and the pain being added on top of pain to their families and friends! Read this!

Did you note that it was that "lefty" Sen. Boxer who made things right (ironic pun intended)?

Maybe instead of some of you starting threads that are meant to attack other Americans it's time to stand up and remind your local politicians, Democrat or Republican that our dead soldiers deserve the utmost and very best treatment available on this planet! This is not a partisan issue, this is an issue that must be made right!

The only thing more disgusting then this, is to make it a political issue, good job Champs, you really scored on this one.:roll:

26 X World Champs said:

The reality of the situation is the government and the politicans in Washington could care less about American soldiers. One of the reasons why the VFW was formed was because alot of soldiers would come home from conflicts overseas with missing arms, legs or limbs and couldn't find a job or work and their was no assistance from the government. They were basically left out to hang and dry. Not only that, but the basica fundamental rights of veterans were violated constantly. So veterans began to organize and demand assistance and that their rights be respected. Hence some of the reasons why veterans do enjoy some benefits from disability and protection of the law. That still doesn't change the fact that people in Washington pay only lip service and genuinely could care less for the vets.

Deegan said:
The only thing more disgusting then this, is to make it a political issue, good job Champs, you really scored on this one.:roll:
Thank you! Hopefully publicising this awful treatment of our soldiers will finally force the decision makers in these matters to respect the dead and to stop pretending that soldiers aren't dying.

As it is, photos of returning caskets are not allowed, and now disrespecting our heroes by shipping them as freight in a no frills manner is horrific.

26 X World Champs said:
Thank you! Hopefully publicising this awful treatment of our soldiers will finally force the decision makers in these matters to respect the dead and to stop pretending that soldiers aren't dying.

As it is, photos of returning caskets are not allowed, and now disrespecting our heroes by shipping them as freight in a no frills manner is horrific.

You get them home to their families anyway you can, to argue about the method does nothing to respect them, only reminds us of the bickering about their ultimate demise. This story is not worth wiping my rear end on, it's yet another anti-war crusade, and it's disgusting, it really is.:roll:

Deegan said:
You get them home to their families anyway you can, to argue about the method does nothing to respect them, only reminds us of the bickering about their ultimate demise. This story is not worth wiping my rear end on, it's yet another anti-war crusade, and it's disgusting, it really is.:roll:

How exactly is it an anti-war crusade?

I for one would have been highly upset if my husband had been killed while he was in Iraq, and then shipped home as nothing better than a piece of luggage.

Our vets deserve much better than that. If we've got to use commercial jets to transport our fallen heroes, at least use that particular flight for nothing other than that purpose.

I'm sure most patriotic Americans wouldn't mind paying a little more money for their airline tickets to cover that expense.

Stace said:
How exactly is it an anti-war crusade?

I for one would have been highly upset if my husband had been killed while he was in Iraq, and then shipped home as nothing better than a piece of luggage.

Our vets deserve much better than that. If we've got to use commercial jets to transport our fallen heroes, at least use that particular flight for nothing other than that purpose.

I'm sure most patriotic Americans wouldn't mind paying a little more money for their airline tickets to cover that expense.

How is this anti-war, how is it not?:confused:

They are taking a few instances, and trying to paint this as the norm, and disrespectful, it's neither. As I said, the most important thing is to get them home, get them to their loved ones, and bury them with the honor they deserve. This story is just a cover for an anti-war agenda, and it's disgusting.

How exactly do they deserve better then this? Is this plane not good enough, did they stack freight on top of it? I doubt very seriously this was ever supposed to be public knowledge, but they obviously were pressed for a way to transport this body home, and they did their level best to do so.

Deegan said:
How is this anti-war, how is it not?:confused:

They are taking a few instances, and trying to paint this as the norm, and disrespectful, it's neither. As I said, the most important thing is to get them home, get them to their loved ones, and bury them with the honor they deserve. This story is just a cover for an anti-war agenda, and it's disgusting.

How exactly do they deserve better then this? Is this plane not good enough, did they stack freight on top of it? I doubt very seriously this was ever supposed to be public knowledge, but they obviously were pressed for a way to transport this body home, and they did their level best to do so.

Oh wait, I forgot, it MUST be anti-war, 'cause it's just us liberals making things up, right?

Soldiers do NOT need to be transported on commercial jets....do you have any clue how many military jets there are?

Heck, I worked on Pope AFB. We had at LEAST 30 C-130's that aren't operable as far as war fighting capabilities, but if they can fly around and drop the 82nd soldiers for their monthly jumps, they can certainly fly dead soldiers home in dignity.

But, I guess our soldiers aren't worth that, are they? Doesn't matter if freight was stacked on top of them or not...it's the fact that they were surrounded by freight, and treated no better than freight themselves.

Stace said:
Oh wait, I forgot, it MUST be anti-war, 'cause it's just us liberals making things up, right?

Soldiers do NOT need to be transported on commercial jets....do you have any clue how many military jets there are?

Heck, I worked on Pope AFB. We had at LEAST 30 C-130's that aren't operable as far as war fighting capabilities, but if they can fly around and drop the 82nd soldiers for their monthly jumps, they can certainly fly dead soldiers home in dignity.

But, I guess our soldiers aren't worth that, are they? Doesn't matter if freight was stacked on top of them or not...it's the fact that they were surrounded by freight, and treated no better than freight themselves.

One only needs to read the name, Barbara Boxer to know what the situation is, and that it's a political stunt, and that's what should make you ill. I don't care how they get home, as long as we never leave a man behind. There were some pretty crude ways of transporting our troops in the past wars in recent history, and it has done nothing to hamper the spirit of our fine military. This is a disgusting political maneuver, and nothing more.

Deegan said:
One only needs to read the name, Barbara Boxer to know what the situation is, and that it's a political stunt, and that's what should make you ill. I don't care how they get home, as long as we never leave a man behind. There were some pretty crude ways of transporting our troops in the past wars in recent history, and it has done nothing to hamper the spirit of our fine military. This is a disgusting political maneuver, and nothing more.

Hmm...did you not note that Sen. Boxer was involved only AFTER a soldier's parents started making some phone calls?

26 X World Champs said:

I saw that story the other day. It's right up there with not being able to show coffins of dead Americans as they come off planes.

Why all the secrecy - this is war - it's not a f-ing video game. Tell it like it is.

Stace said:
Hmm...did you not note that Sen. Boxer was involved only AFTER a soldier's parents started making some phone calls?

Ask her how involved has she been in this war? Has she gone to see the troops? She disperses our military, she is using this family, and that is my opinion, end of discussion!

hipsterdufus said:
I saw that story the other day. It's right up there with not being able to show coffins of dead Americans as they come off planes.

Why all the secrecy - this is war - it's not a f-ing video game. Tell it like it is.

Why, so you can photoshop them for your next cutesy post?:roll:

Deegan said:
Ask her how involved has she been in this war? Has she gone to see the troops? She disperses our military, she is using this family, and that is my opinion, end of discussion!

Oh yes, because everything you say is right, and the rest of us are wrong...how silly of me to forget that!

Stace said:
Oh yes, because everything you say is right, and the rest of us are wrong...how silly of me to forget that!

If you say so miss, I am entitled to my opinion, as are you, try not to be so defensive.

One thing missing is how long this has been going on.

Is it a political stunt? Absolutely.

The vietnam vets are not getting taps played at their funeral either.

It's not new, and it will continue because some folks do not want to put *too much* money into the system to give the bodies of ALL vets what they deserve.

Iraq vets are no better than Vietnam ones.

Our military dead deserves the utmost respect and dignity, no matter the cost or inconvenience. No ifs, ands, ors or buts. :(

vauge said:
One thing missing is how long this has been going on.

Is it a political stunt? Absolutely.

The vietnam vets are not getting taps played at their funeral either.

It's not new, and it will continue because some folks do not want to put *too much* money into the system to give the bodies of ALL vets what they deserve.

Iraq vets are no better than Vietnam ones.

I don't think a vet from one war is more important then another but I do think they all deserve better then they're getting.

Deegan said:
:rofl Amazing! I started this thread and made a big point of stating that this issue is non-partisan, that it is a problem that we all want to resolve regardless of party affiliation.

To read your many, many posts in this thread that are only negative politically motivated hack-speak is stunning in your hate and bias. Aren't you smarter than your posts are showing you to be? I thought so?

Sen. Boxer only got involved at the behest of a grieving family who were further hurt by the shoddy treatment their dead son was shown on his last journey. If you're unable to open your heart and understand a family's grief and the added pain caused by this type of mistreatment then I must conclude that your posts carry absolutely no validity.

This is not about Sen. Boxer at all, it could have been any politician stepping in. This is not about "anti-war" stuff, that is a bullshit diversion people use to deflect the truth away from the cold facts that dead soldiers are being disrespected.

That's the issue, disrespect for our soldiers and the need to make it right. So how about taking the partisan crap out of the debate?

26 X World Champs said:
:rofl Amazing! I started this thread and made a big point of stating that this issue is non-partisan, that it is a problem that we all want to resolve regardless of party affiliation.

To read your many, many posts in this thread that are only negative politically motivated hack-speak is stunning in your hate and bias. Aren't you smarter than your posts are showing you to be? I thought so?

Sen. Boxer only got involved at the behest of a grieving family who were further hurt by the shoddy treatment their dead son was shown on his last journey. If you're unable to open your heart and understand a family's grief and the added pain caused by this type of mistreatment then I must conclude that your posts carry absolutely no validity.

This is not about Sen. Boxer at all, it could have been any politician stepping in. This is not about "anti-war" stuff, that is a bullshit diversion people use to deflect the truth away from the cold facts that dead soldiers are being disrespected.

That's the issue, disrespect for our soldiers and the need to make it right. So how about taking the partisan crap out of the debate?

I don't see this as any sort of "shoddy treatment" I see it as getting their son home anyway they could, and in a reasonable amount of time. I also don't see this story anywhere but on some news channel in San Diego, it's not news, it's politics.

Then the first thing you write about is Kerry, and end with Boxer, then proclaim to be non-partisan, Good grief man, you're such a hypocrite.:roll:

26 X World Champs said:
I think that made it partisan.

hipsterdufus said:

I've been concerned about the lack of openness on this issue too, regarding the war. Coffins of the dead should never be hidden, they should be proudly flag-draped and available for viewing like President Reagan's was during his funeral procession so we can all pay our respects to our soldiers, our people. We are not ashamed of the sight of the coffins of soldiers who gave everything they had, are we? I'm not. They generate sadness, understandably, but also great pride.

Pacridge said:
I don't think a vet from one war is more important then another but I do think they all deserve better then they're getting.

So very true. I think the key ingredient we're lacking in this matter is a little thing called RESPECT. Respect for the sacrifice these men and women have made, respect for their body, even respect for their families.

Back
Top Bottom