• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DEA outlaws chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
The DEA has taken emergency action to outlaw chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana, meaning it will be illegal to possess or sell them in the U.S. for at least one year, until further action is taken.

DEA outlaws chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Yet more stupidity stemming from this mad war on drugs. I have numerous friends who use this stuff, the ones who are to afraid to try Marijuana. I warned them that it wasn't just plant matter but unknown chemicals also mixed in. It amazes me that people would rather take the dangerous alternative just because of it's legality.

DEA outlaws chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Yet more stupidity stemming from this mad war on drugs. I have numerous friends who use this stuff, the ones who are to afraid to try Marijuana. I warned them that it wasn't just plant matter but unknown chemicals also mixed in. It amazes me that people would rather take the dangerous alternative just because of it's legality.

They take these chemicals because idiots made a safe chemical illegal deades ago. Want to ban dangerous chemicals? How about starting with alcohol, which is orders of magnitude more dangerous than marijuana....Oops, already tried that, and it didn't work.

The way I see it, if somebody is doing drugs or alcohol, and is not hurting or violating the rights of others, it is none of the government's damn business. But don't tell that to the government, who wants to be the great nanny that protects us all from ourselves.

**** the government. It no longer represents "We the People", so **** them.

All you need is some valerian root, rose hips and maybe some melatonin - crush, mix, drink . . . relax.
:shrug:

All you need is some valerian root, rose hips and maybe some melatonin - crush, mix, drink . . . relax.
:shrug:

If enough people do that, then those things will be outlawed too. The government is against mind expansion or cheap, natural substances that challenge the pharmaceutical industry.

Besides, taking valerian root consecutively for more than 2 weeks is damaging to the liver.

How many unknown chemical agents do you surmise are present in cannabis? How many carcinogens? If anything, I would suspect that this "synthetic marijuana" is the safer and healthier option. It's the fact that the government is outlawing this safer and healthier option that is baffling to me; how can they claim to have a legitimate interest in doing so? These policies are bureaucratic madness.

If enough people do that, then those things will be outlawed too. The government is against mind expansion or cheap, natural substances that challenge the pharmaceutical industry.

Besides, taking valerian root consecutively for more than 2 weeks is damaging to the liver.

And so smoking and drinking and everything else isn't damaging :)

The whole thing is stupid - the government just wants to ruin everyone's fun :)

And so smoking and drinking and everything else isn't damaging :)

Well, they are... but I wasn't drawing a comparison so that's a tad bit of a strawman you've got there.

Toxic is toxic. Saying cannabis and alcohol are toxic doesn't mean valerian isn't. ;)

The whole thing is stupid - the government just wants to ruin everyone's fun :)

They just don't want people having epiphany-like awakenings in their minds to the reality of how pathetic authority is.

Oops too late.

I never said it wasn't - yet, at the same time, many other substances aren't being checked at all: like the various mixed ingredients of energy drinks or weight-loss supplements.

I never said it wasn't - yet, at the same time, many other substances aren't being checked at all: like the various mixed ingredients of energy drinks or weight-loss supplements.

Yeah I noticed that. We get quite a few patients in my clinic who have adrenal deficiencies because they drink a few of those a day.

I find it disturbing that there are drinks you can buy in stores that have "recommended dose" written on them. How is that legal?

I kid you not - I nearly killed myself with one of those the other week.

I study like crazy - I had a porfolio due, had worked on it for weeks before it was due, but still hadn't finished it. I ended up (rather unwantedly) staying up all night ot finish the stupid thing.
The next day - to make it through my long and very tiring World Civ class - I drank 1/2 of a rockstar energy drink.

I drank part of it 30 minutes before class started.
20 minute after drinking it I was buzzing, nearly hyperventilating while laughing, and was crying all at the same time.

I couldn't stop laughing and crying - and I had to head to the bathroom to dump the drink out and laugh/sob into the sink. . . it was bizarre. I heart palpitations and everything.

20 minutes later - in class - and was falling asleep while I was writing notes. My notes are illegible and I dont' even remember being there most of that 1:30

I started smoking weed in early 80's. Stopped after I quit college and joined the Army. Started back up when I retired from the Army. To this day I still enjoy a bowl or two to relax me after a very stressful day.

Smoking pot is no different than any other drug when used by a responsible adult. I never drive while stoned, I never use around my children or other people. If you were to meet me in person you would never guess I smoke. I am saying this because while I was in the military I was used to combat the flow of drug into the US. The whole time I was doing the job the US govt entrusted me with I always thought what a terrible waste of my abilities and taxpayers money. The "War on Drugs" has been a complete and total failure.

I don't care. The government has already outlawed what I find best in life, absinthe, hookers, nudity in videogames....

Reactions: BCR
Why don't they just require a warning label so the People can make their own informed decisions about what they put into their own bodies? I swear to God some of these blokes running our country are just mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging STUPID!

How many unknown chemical agents do you surmise are present in cannabis? How many carcinogens? If anything, I would suspect that this "synthetic marijuana" is the safer and healthier option. It's the fact that the government is outlawing this safer and healthier option that is baffling to me; how can they claim to have a legitimate interest in doing so? These policies are bureaucratic madness.

This is not the safe and healthier option, Nobody really knows anything about these chemicals. Nobody has ever died from Marijuana so I highly doubt synthetic Marijuana is safer.

The one thing that is constantly overlooked is that of "Property Rights". Naturally, the State/Feds believe themselves to own each and every one of us, AND our bodies. But in truth(if you follow the Constitution), we own our own bodies and should have the Liberty to dispose of it as we wish, as long as we do not harm others in the process.

If you like State Control, fine, enjoy all these new rules, in order to save yourself from yourself. If you believe you own your body, are an adult, and love Individual Liberty, you will be totally opposed to this 'so called' War On Drugs, which is really a War on the citizenry.

Do you like all this Big Government? Think the TSA is doing the right thing too? Then welcome to Statism.

The DEA is banning K2 under the auspices of "public safety." How is forcing a segment of the population, who were using K2 legally, to go find illegal drugs helping "public safety" at all? All they are doing is making sure they have job security and stuffing the pockets of the prison industry. Putting more of our citizens in jail for victimless crimes is the LAST thing this country needs.

The DEA is banning K2 under the auspices of "public safety." How is forcing a segment of the population, who were using K2 legally, to go find illegal drugs helping "public safety" at all? All they are doing is making sure they have job security and stuffing the pockets of the prison industry. Putting more of our citizens in jail for victimless crimes is the LAST thing this country needs.

I don't do illegal drugs and if I ever want to 'unwind' I'll do it legally.

Valerian root will kick your buns even make you sick if you get too much. Catnip tea is pretty relaxing not sure if it has the same liver effects.

Seems to me the war on pot is just a money making project, they sure are not winning.

How can the DEA outlaw anything? :confused:

Nixon equipped the DEA with a lot of power. I believe they can essentially schedule a hearing on a substance then rule on it, and that ruling becomes law of the land. You know the whole system is a joke when Marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic.

Nixon equipped the DEA with a lot of power. I believe they can essentially schedule a hearing on a substance then rule on it, and that ruling becomes law of the land. You know the whole system is a joke when Marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic.

That is hardly constitutional.

I don't do illegal drugs and if I ever want to 'unwind' I'll do it legally.

I know quite a few individuals who were not interested in getting arrested and were enjoying synthetic marijuana legally. Now they can be charged with using a Schedule I drug and possibly considered a felon. Enjoy your legal relaxation while it lasts.

In this case, they appear to have called a "public safety emergency assembly" in order to deal with synthetic marijuana. They have decided it is a Schedule I drug for at least a year, but they will more than likely do their best to permanently schedule synthetic marijuana.

In this case, they appear to have called a "public safety emergency assembly" in order to deal with synthetic marijuana. They have decided it is a Schedule I drug for at least a year, but they will more than likely do their best to permanently schedule synthetic marijuana.

This should be up to Congress.

Back
Top Bottom