• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I got to wondering just when and how speaking ill of the dead became so frowned upon in our society and apparently it goes back to some guy in Sparta in 600BC who said "of the dead speak no evil". Personally I don't get it, if you hate someone when they are alive and speak ill of them constantly why stop when they die? Just because some guy said so over 2000 years ago? It's not like this is in the bible or something you know. IMO it's hypocritical to say nice things about an enemy when they die and I didn't notice anyone not rejoicing when we got Osama so how exactly does this stupid rule work. At what point is it OK to speak ill of the dead exactly? We constantly berate Hitler, Stalin and when Manson goes I'm sure many will say HA! So clue me in, give me the exact rule when it is socially acceptable to speak ill of the dead and when you are ostracized for doing so. Where exactly is the freakin line? IMO De mortuis nil nisi bonum or speak no ill of the dead was the beginning line in the PC crap we are awash in this era and I refuse to participate.

I try to remain consistant. A guy who owned a bar in town died last year. A friend of mine brought up something about him the other day. I said I never did like that guy. He got on me for talking bad about the dead. The guy really was a jerk.

I got to wondering just when and how speaking ill of the dead became so frowned upon in our society and apparently it goes back to some guy in Sparta in 600BC who said "of the dead speak no evil". Personally I don't get it, if you hate someone when they are alive and speak ill of them constantly why stop when they die? Just because some guy said so over 2000 years ago? It's not like this is in the bible or something you know. IMO it's hypocritical to say nice things about an enemy when they die and I didn't notice anyone not rejoicing when we got Osama so how exactly does this stupid rule work. At what point is it OK to speak ill of the dead exactly? We constantly berate Hitler, Stalin and when Manson goes I'm sure many will say HA! So clue me in, give me the exact rule when it is socially acceptable to speak ill of the dead and when you are ostracized for doing so. Where exactly is the freakin line? IMO De mortuis nil nisi bonum or speak no ill of the dead was the beginning line in the PC crap we are awash in this era and I refuse to participate.

It doesn't apply to public figures.

Don't speak ill of the dead is not PC bull****. It means that if you knew someone in your own personal life whom you hated ,once he is done, forgive and forget. Don't go around town saying why you hated him and how much.

The reason why the ancient Greeks forbid speaking ill of the dead was because they believed the dead could HEAR you and come back to do you harm. This is the typical reason most older societies frowned on this activity, in a belief that we all have animating spirits which linger in one way or another after we die. Christian's, of course, believe you pass on to either heaven or hell. Regardless of where the dead end up the living are supposed to forgive and forget.

But in reality, just forget all that spiritual stuff. The fact is, if you still hold that level of a grudge against someone who is dead and gone permanently from your life, it's a piss-poor reflection on YOU that you just can't let it go. :thumbdown

I would say that it is unfair to criticize someone who can no longer defend themselves. Their legacy, for good or ill, is set, and no criticism will change things.

I have always thought that if a person is no good when they are alive, being dead doesn't make them a better person.

But, generally speaking I don't see where there is anything to be gained by speaking ill of the dead, so I usually don't do it, Even though I am strongly opposed to PC bull ****.

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred." ~ Jacques Barzun

I try to remain consistant. A guy who owned a bar in town died last year. A friend of mine brought up something about him the other day. I said I never did like that guy. He got on me for talking bad about the dead. The guy really was a jerk.

I seriously doubt that being dead made him a better person.

Who wants to hear you say bad stuff about the dead when there are so many living people to say bad stuff about?

I would say that it is unfair to criticize someone who can no longer defend themselves. Their legacy, for good or ill, is set, and no criticism will change things.

Unfortunately, a lot of things that happen in life are unfair.

The reason why the ancient Greeks forbid speaking ill of the dead was because they believed the dead could HEAR you and come back to do you harm. This is the typical reason most older societies frowned on this activity, in a belief that we all have animating spirits which linger in one way or another after we die. Christian's, of course, believe you pass on to either heaven or hell. Regardless of where the dead end up the living are supposed to forgive and forget.

But in reality, just forget all that spiritual stuff. The fact is, if you still hold that level of a grudge against someone who is dead and gone permanently from your life, it's a piss-poor reflection on YOU that you just can't let it go. :thumbdown

Yeah, eventually, we need to forgive and forget, or at least forget.

There's a lot of truth in that statement, a dead man can't say, "I'm sorry."

It doesn't apply to public figures.

Don't speak ill of the dead is not PC bull****. It means that if you knew someone in your own personal life whom you hated ,once he is done, forgive and forget. Don't go around town saying why you hated him and how much.

What you said here makes a lot of sense, it's too late to settle scores once a guys dead and gone, might as well let it rest and move on.

Your first paragraph is interesting and informative, I'll just ignore your second judgmental opinion paragraph. Still nobody can tell me when and where the exact dividing line is for don't speak ill of the dead and cheer the death of someone which we all did when Osama was killed. When a guy that poisoned my dog died of cancer I not only cheered, I hoped he suffered a long agonizing death. Which side of the imaginary line is that on?

Back
Top Bottom