• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DC Terrorists: Open Season On The Elderly

JoeTheEconomist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
D.C.'s threats about Social Security are meant to terrorize the weakest element of our society. The threat is comically stupid, but the fear that is created is quite real.

Monday, the government opened the season of its favorite sport: terrorizing the elderly and the infirm.

Terrorism is the act of obtaining your goal by fear. Washington wants more money, so it threatens those who are weakest in our society. Two years ago, Obama played the game of "We aren't sure whether your Social Security checks will go out." This time it is Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew who sent a letter to Congress specifying that "the government wouldn’t have enough cash to cover Social Security payments, military personnel salaries, Medicare and other programs for an “extended period.” Basically, if you don't give us more money, we will shoot the old people.

The article explains just how unserious the threat is

Some Of Washington D.C.'s Biggest Terrorists Aren't Who You Think

Mediscare again? The election campaign is starting early...

Mediscare again? The election campaign is starting early...

This isn't about campaigns, or they would do it in an election year. This is off-cycle where terrorizing a group is more acceptible.

Medicare financing is very different from Social Security. The Trust Fund for Social Security is by itself sufficient to pay benefits for 3 1/2 years. I am not confident that medicare's Trust Fund has the same level of funding.

D.C.'s threats about Social Security are meant to terrorize the weakest element of our society. The threat is comically stupid, but the fear that is created is quite real.

Agreed. This is a campaign to get the House to fund ObamaCare, even though its implementation is demonstrably a terrible train wreck.

Agreed. This is a campaign to get the House to fund ObamaCare, even though its implementation is demonstrably a terrible train wreck.

I don't know much about Obamacare. My guess is that the system loads up front end goodies and hides the back-end pain. Here the govt is threatening to cut-off people who have no other options. The threat is entirely basisless so one can only conclude that the sole purpose is to frighten people. I think it is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom