• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DC: Greatest American

Who is the Greatest American of the Bunch?

  • Benjamin Franklin - Inventor, Diplomat, Printer

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • George Washington - Father of the Country

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. - Civil Rights Leader

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Ronald Reagan - President for a long time

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A. Lincoln - President during the American Civil War

    Votes: 3 10.7%

  • Total voters
    28

AndrewStebbins

New member
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Recently there was a show to find the Greatest American.

The Top 100:

Included- Ellen DeGeneres, Babe Ruth, Michael Jackson, and Ronald Reagan

The Top 25:

Included- Bill Gates, Elvis Presley, and Ronald Reagean

The Top 10:

Included- Oprah Winfrey, Clinton, GW Bush, and Ronald Reagan

The Top 5:

Included- Franklin, MLK Jr, Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan.

If you didnt see the show or didnt know how it worked, there was a list of 100 Americans that people thought were Great. People could then call, text, or submit a vote online for the top 25. That then got narrowed to the top 10, again by voting. Then the top 5, by voting. I just included Reagean on them because I dont know why he got down so far, so wanted to show you that. Everyone who got on the more exclusive lists had to be on the 100 person list at first. So from 100-5.

Who do you think is the Greatest American?

PS: Reagan ended up winning.

PSS: Why?

Andrew
 

Shye

New member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
man reagon sucks. he was so war happy. So violent doesn't sit well with me and for gw bush, they should of put him on the top 100 worst americans
 
Last edited:

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This angers me!

I watched the debate and is was apparent that Reagan wasn't even close to the greatest. This type of terrible event happens when you let the populace vote, researcher, authors, and experts should be the ones voting!

How could Ronald Reagan beat the man who freed the slaves, the man who invented the most used technology, the man who spearheaded a civil rights movement, and the one who led us to victory in the revolution and placed the first brick of the foundation for America?

This brings me to my next point, why are Americans stupid? :(
 

loverofpeace

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yes, it really is sad that the Reagan won as the "greatest American." I personally feel he did very little for our nation and even less for our people. There are far more qualified persons for this title. But then again, it was a poorly conducted poll, and for all we know, the Reagan zealots could have voted a billion times. Regardless, I hope we never forget the truly significant Americans and their ideas, dreams, accomplishments, and forward directions they have taken us in terms of rights and freedom.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
There was an organized effort by GOP groups to get Reagan in the top five. There were sites like this one http://gopteamleader.com/livehomepage.asp On their web site they had links like this:

"Please vote Republican! On Discovery Channel's Greatest American mini television series, vote for Reagan by clicking here! ...
Somehow now that the shows done and the vote's over they've removed the link. But if you "goggle" "please vote Reagan" It still shows up as a link with the phrase "Please vote Republican! On Discovery Channel's Greatest American mini television series, vote for Reagan by clicking here! ... But now if you click the link it takes you to their home page. Fox News had a link like this as well. FNC's is now gone completely. I bookmarked it several days ago, I went there tonight and all I get is a blank page with their wallpaper. And there were several plugs on right wing radio for votes as well. You really have to hand it to the right, they are organized. They wanted him in the top five according to the link on gopteamleader.com. I bet they couldn't be happier.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
It was hard for me not to vote for the liberal father in our nations history, but I had to vote for the man I respected most (I don't respect FDR much for some of his decisions). So I voted MLK Jr. who I think had the most impact on the principles of our nation.
 

JustineCredible

Wading through the Mire
DP Veteran
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
91
Location
Eastern Standard Time zone
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Pacridge said:
There was an organized effort by GOP groups to get Reagan in the top five. There were sites like this one http://gopteamleader.com/livehomepage.asp On their web site they had links like this:

"Please vote Republican! On Discovery Channel's Greatest American mini television series, vote for Reagan by clicking here! ...
Somehow now that the shows done and the vote's over they've removed the link. But if you "goggle" "please vote Reagan" It still shows up as a link with the phrase "Please vote Republican! On Discovery Channel's Greatest American mini television series, vote for Reagan by clicking here! ... But now if you click the link it takes you to their home page. Fox News had a link like this as well. FNC's is now gone completely. I bookmarked it several days ago, I went there tonight and all I get is a blank page with their wallpaper. And there were several plugs on right wing radio for votes as well. You really have to hand it to the right, they are organized. They wanted him in the top five according to the link on gopteamleader.com. I bet they couldn't be happier.

I don't know about you, but I'd put dollars to donuts that Karl Rove had a hand in that one.
 

JustineCredible

Wading through the Mire
DP Veteran
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
91
Location
Eastern Standard Time zone
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
ShamMol said:
It was hard for me not to vote for the liberal father in our nations history, but I had to vote for the man I respected most (I don't respect FDR much for some of his decisions). So I voted MLK Jr. who I think had the most impact on the principles of our nation.

Here, here! Bravo.

I did as well. MLK Jr.'s actions have impacted our entire society in such a positive way. The way the whole thing wound up makes me a bit more ashamed of our country and just shows the sheeple mentality that has permeated every corner of it.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
JustineCredible said:
I don't know about you, but I'd put dollars to donuts that Karl Rove had a hand in that one.
I don't know about that. Seems like Rove would have his hands full at the moment. If I had to peg someone specifically I'd put my money on Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox News. Ever see "Outfoxed?" Murdoch's really got a thing for Reagan. When Reagan's library was opened he sent a crew to cover it. The poor guy covering the opening had the poor luck of not being able to find enough people for the remote feed. Seem the good people at Fox thought there'd be droves of people just itching to get in and see the place. Basically less then 150 showed up, a lot of them school kids bused in. Murdoch saw the feed and was so pissed he threatened to fire the poor reporter because his live feeds didn't have a "lively" enough feel. Hmm, you know maybe it's was Reagan's birthday they were covering. I honestly can't remember. But it was very odd. Watch the film if you get a chance.
 

JustineCredible

Wading through the Mire
DP Veteran
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
91
Location
Eastern Standard Time zone
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Pacridge said:
I don't know about that. Seems like Rove would have his hands full at the moment. If I had to peg someone specifically I'd put my money on Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox News. Ever see "Outfoxed?" Murdoch's really got a thing for Reagan. When Reagan's library was opened he sent a crew to cover it. The poor guy covering the opening had the poor luck of not being able to find enough people for the remote feed. Seem the good people at Fox thought there'd be droves of people just itching to get in and see the place. Basically less then 150 showed up, a lot of them school kids bused in. Murdoch saw the feed and was so pissed he threatened to fire the poor reporter because his live feeds didn't have a "lively" enough feel. Hmm, you know maybe it's was Reagan's birthday they were covering. I honestly can't remember. But it was very odd. Watch the film if you get a chance.

Pathetically hillarious!
Yes, I did see "Outfoxed" great piece too.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think you would probably win that bet. Faux Gnus...nice. Thanks for reminding me.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
JustineCredible said:
Pathetically hillarious!
Yes, I did see "Outfoxed" great piece too.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think you would probably win that bet. Faux Gnus...nice. Thanks for reminding me.
Wasn't that just bizarre. The poor reporter's getting chewed out over the that fact no body showed up. Like it was his fault. What they'd think? That he personally sent out the invitations? He must of forgot to mail them.
 

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I actually saw part of that show about the top 100 great Americans. I didn't know Reagan won as I didn't see the whole show. I'm a little surprised. I suppose Reagan is the epitome of the American dream. He was very poor as a child. He made it to Hollywood, then to the California state government, then to president of the USA. During his time as president he had a knack for making people believe things were better than they really were. His unwavering stance against the evil empire is unrivaled by any other politician. Not sure if that qualifies him as the greatest American, but certainly worthy of a top five. I don't really have a problem with the top five the show came up with.
 

Soviet_Guy

Banned
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
You didn't put FDR or Kennedy( who is the President who acted on civil rights! ) or Neil Armstrong! Or Rocky Marciano, or Elisha Cuthbert...........lol. :lol:

Oh, and you didn't give a reason to vote for Reagan, FDR served longer than Reagan and oh so many other Presidents who also served 2 terms, and also that Reagan was a rotting corpse on the stand.
 

JustineCredible

Wading through the Mire
DP Veteran
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
91
Location
Eastern Standard Time zone
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Soviet_Guy said:
You didn't put FDR or Kennedy( who is the President who acted on civil rights! ) or Neil Armstrong! Or Rocky Marciano, or Elisha Cuthbert...........lol. :lol:

Oh, and you didn't give a reason to vote for Reagan, FDR served longer than Reagan and oh so many other Presidents who also served 2 terms, and also that Reagan was a rotting corpse on the stand.

Soviet, can you say: "Unclear of the concept?"

I knew you could!

This thread was started in reference to a television show! Not the OP's personal likes or dislikes.
Don't blame the OP for the list.
 

JustineCredible

Wading through the Mire
DP Veteran
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
91
Location
Eastern Standard Time zone
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Pacridge said:
Wasn't that just bizarre. The poor reporter's getting chewed out over the that fact no body showed up. Like it was his fault. What they'd think? That he personally sent out the invitations? He must of forgot to mail them.
Or maybe he did send the invitations, but forgot to shower. I know that'll clear a room in a heartbeat! :lol:
 

stsburns

American Infidel
DP Veteran
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
46
Location
Pergatory
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
It was suprising to know how many people are black on this poll? :lol:
 

FiremanRyan

Active member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
Location
Chico, CA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Shye said:
man reagon sucks. he was so war happy. So violent doesn't sit well with me and for gw bush, they should of put him on the top 100 worst americans
oh please. Reagan won the cold war without firing a shot.

honestly guys, whats with all this Reagan hate? no matter how you look at it, he had one of the most successfull presidencies in US history and the ignorant rhetoric bashing him and saying things like 'Jesse Owens was 10 times as important' only shows bitterness.
 

FiremanRyan

Active member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
Location
Chico, CA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
if anyone shouldnt be on that top 5 list its Lincoln. he's got to be the most prettied up president in our history. i think only about 5% of this country actually knows why and thats pretty sad. his only accomplishment in my opinion was pushing for the transcontinental railroad. but thats a whole other topic.
 

MikeyC

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
Upstate New York
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Independent
After studying taking AP World History in school this year, the USSR seemed to undo itself. East Berlin vs. West Berlin is the epitome of the Cold War conflict. The prosperous West Berlin, influenced by the West vs. a struggling East Berlin, whose inhabitants desired to be as happy as their Western brothers and sisters. Sure, the US played a strong part in it by using our strong economy to fund a powerful military, forcing the USSR to put the same amount of funds into their military, but they basically undid themselves. FDR can't win because of the internment of the Japanese. I'd say Ben Franklin did a lot to set the great ideals of this nation and he was our diplomat with the French who gained their support for our side. Without the French, our victory may not, and probably wouldn't have been secured. Franklin was also very well rounded, being well versed in science and was an author. Benjamin Franklin was also an abolitionist, but America just wasn't ready to free the slaves.
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Do you know how easy it would have been for Abe if he just told his Generals to finish off the South?

You're telling me, the man who sold drugs as a middle-man in order to fund anti-communist cults, is better than the man who offically freed the slaves?

look here http://www.coldwarveterans.com/dates_in_cold_war_history.htm, are you going to tell me that we had these casualties and not even fire a shot? That's a bit too radical for United Statesians/ Americans.


Visit Here. http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/presidents/ronald-reagan/

But don't visit any where else on that site.. I'd rather you not see their nasty website, their library is valid and unique.


As many of you know, I'm against Politicans. I think the only thing worse than a politican is a movie star turned politican...
 

Soviet_Guy

Banned
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
MikeyC said:
After studying taking AP World History in school this year, the USSR seemed to undo itself. East Berlin vs. West Berlin is the epitome of the Cold War conflict. The prosperous West Berlin, influenced by the West vs. a struggling East Berlin, whose inhabitants desired to be as happy as their Western brothers and sisters. Sure, the US played a strong part in it by using our strong economy to fund a powerful military, forcing the USSR to put the same amount of funds into their military, but they basically undid themselves. FDR can't win because of the internment of the Japanese. I'd say Ben Franklin did a lot to set the great ideals of this nation and he was our diplomat with the French who gained their support for our side. Without the French, our victory may not, and probably wouldn't have been secured. Franklin was also very well rounded, being well versed in science and was an author. Benjamin Franklin was also an abolitionist, but America just wasn't ready to free the slaves.
The U.S.S.R was probably the most logic empire of the 20th century, they saw that they had a huge debt, and they decided to pay it off. The United States only won the war because they decided to stick with their budget and go with the " it's not our problem, let the next generation think about it " approuch. As for East and West Germany, well of course that was forseable to collapse, you can't devide a nation filled with people so strictly unified like the Germans and expect the country to stay as two, that's the problem with so many African nations, they deserve to be bigger nations of 2nd world economic structure instead of small, even tiny 3rd/4th world *****. So as far as Reagan, he's inspired me to create a " U.S. President" Hate forum, as I do have 3 forums and 2 have had no purpose of exiting thus far, hmmmm.
 

AndrewStebbins

New member
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Oh come on, no one is voting for Washington?

Led the American Army in the Revolution, got us our Independence, refused to be King of America, and set the example for future Presidents.

Andrew
 

nkgupta80

DP Veteran
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
washington, was a great leader, but i'd say benjamin franklin tops the list. Who out of all can claim to be a great scientist, inventor, diplomat, writer, and politician. He's the only one who helped write all our national founding documents.
 

Soviet_Guy

Banned
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
I finally voted, for Martin Luther King, he's the only one on there who I respect, not to say I hate Washington or Lincoln but I just don't rspect them for what they did, the founding of the U.S. and the destruction of the Confederacy and all. :cool:
 
Top Bottom