• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dawkins vs O'Reilly

Dogger807

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Pity this was so short. O'Reilly bullies and steamrolls his guests all the time yet Dawkins more than held his own, Even though he wasn't given the courtesy of fully answering any question. O'Reilly just used the god of the gaps argument, gave the hitler was an atheist lie, and of course the forefathers were all theists ...and then ... cut the interview short .

[youtube]5w8OhiLU7cU[/youtube]

wish that had gone on longer but dawkins would proberly have tied him up with logic, not that that would have bothered O reilly uknow how he really looks up to intellectuals.

"Look I saw Apollo, he's not lookin so good." What a total cop out...

thanks for posting the clip. it's interesting that you can have a believer and a non-believer, both be so confused about what religion/God is.

I didn't think it was so much bullying from O'Reilly this time around. O'Reilly is right when he says that science can't prove where life got its start (at least not yet), but that really doesn't justify the ridiculousness of most religions.

thanks for posting the clip. it's interesting that you can have a believer and a non-believer, both be so confused about what religion/God is.

Dawkins is not confused in the slightest.

I didn't think it was so much bullying from O'Reilly this time around. O'Reilly is right when he says that science can't prove where life got its start (at least not yet), but that really doesn't justify the ridiculousness of most religions.

The problem is science isn't try to disprove "God". Science just presents the facts. The opinions most people make after seeing those facts are their own. If a scientist did a study and found that humans and monkeys had a common ancestor 8 million years ago. It does not disprove religion. If a scientist did a second study and found that some species of ape are genetically and physically like us. This does not disprove religion either. However it does raise some questions about where we really came from. To ignore these facts is a sign of ignorance and dishonesty. When one can not even bring themselves down to the point where they at least try to do the research a look up the evidence then well there is a problem.

The problem is science isn't try to disprove "God".
You don't think Dawkins is trying to disprove God? I sure do, and he's making a hell of a lot of money on the deal, and more power to him I say.

Dawkins is not confused in the slightest.
about religion? actually he is. he looks at religion in literal terms. religion isn't that way. Jesus spoke in parables.

RightOfCenter said:
You don't think Dawkins is trying to disprove God? I sure do, and he's making a hell of a lot of money on the deal, and more power to him I say.
Hatuey said "science," not Dawkins.

about religion? actually he is. he looks at religion in literal terms. religion isn't that way.

Actually, you are confused, not Dawkins.

He does not look at religion in literal terms. He looks at everything in literal terms. The "religion isn't that way" angle is why Dawkins rejects religion outright as poppycock. He is not confused about what it is in any way. He knows exactly what it is, and rejects it for what it is. It is superstition and belief in magic and he describes it bluntly and honestly as detrimental to mankind.

For example?

"Most people, I believe, think that you need a God to explain the existence of the world, and especially the existence of life. They are wrong, but our education system is such that many people don't know it."

"A universe with a God would like quite different from a universe without one. A physics, a biology where there is a God is bound to look different."

"The trouble is that God in this sophisticated, physicist's sense bears no resemblance to the God of the Bible or any other religion."

"Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence."

Dawkins takes the extreme fundamentalist's argument that God literally created the world a few thousand years ago, that God is a living entity, etc. and argues against that.

I was amused by the clip because O'Reilly and Dawkins both view religion as this literal thing, and as science and religion as being in conflict with one another. this is the 'cartoon' view.

I believe that faith is different than Dawkins characterizes it. Faith can also mean that you enjoy the act of prayer, with the understanding that prayer places your mind in a more humble relaxed state, more conducive to good living. Even Dawkins could benefit from that, if he didn't have a mile-long corncob up his ***.

Dawkins will argue, for example, that you don't need God to explain the physical word. But is that the point? I know several scientists that are also Christians. they explain the world in scientific terms but they also attend church, because it places them in a community that cares for one another and reinforces "love thy neighbor" etc, ...but most of all because they understand that the God of the old testament is not to be understood in literal terms.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." ~ Albert Einstein

"On the surface, [holy scriptures] may appear to have been composed as conscientious history. In depth they reveal themselves to have been concieved as myths: poetic readings of the mysteries of life from a certain interested point of view. But to read a poem as a chronicle of fact is -- to say the least -- to miss the point. To say a little more, it is to prove oneself a dolt." ~ Joseph Campbell

VoidWar said:
It is superstition and belief in magic and he describes it bluntly and honestly as detrimental to mankind.
I was kind of with you there up until the point where you revealed that YOU don't know what religion is.

I was kind of with you there up until the point where you revealed that YOU don't know what religion is.

I almost cared until the point where you revealed that YOU don't know what "knowing" is.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Einstein is one of US.

"Most people, I believe, think that you need a God to explain the existence of the world, and especially the existence of life. They are wrong, but our education system is such that many people don't know it."

"A universe with a God would like quite different from a universe without one. A physics, a biology where there is a God is bound to look different."

"The trouble is that God in this sophisticated, physicist's sense bears no resemblance to the God of the Bible or any other religion."

"Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence."

None of these quotes represent a misunderstanding about religion.

Dawkins takes the extreme fundamentalist's argument that God literally created the world a few thousand years ago, that God is a living entity, etc. and argues against that.

And he is not wrong, but his arguments against religion apply to religious moderates as well. Perhaps you aren't familiar with them. He makes a case against all kinds of gods. Anything "supernatural."

I was amused by the clip because O'Reilly and Dawkins both view religion as this literal thing, and as science and religion as being in conflict with one another. this is the 'cartoon' view.

Actually in cases of overlapping magisteria, where the religious make claims about the natural world that science can dispute, there is conflict between religion and science.

I believe that faith is different than Dawkins characterizes it. Faith can also mean that you enjoy the act of prayer, with the understanding that prayer places your mind in a more humble relaxed state, more conducive to good living.

So it still means believing in something that you have no reason to believe it is true, just because it is comforting? Just because something is comforting or conducive to good living doesn't make it true. Dawkins only cares about what is TRUE.

Dawkins is well aware of the benefits of spirituality and meditation, in fact his colleague Sam Harris (The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation) advocates neurological study on meditation.

Even Dawkins could benefit from that, if he didn't have a mile-long corncob up his ***.

:roll: Very mature.

Dawkins will argue, for example, that you don't need God to explain the physical word. But is that the point?

Yep, nothing that we come in contact with in our lifetimes needs "the god hypothesis" to explain it. If it is real, science is enough; its the only means to truth.

I know several scientists that are also Christians. they explain the world in scientific terms but they also attend church, because it places them in a community that cares for one another and reinforces "love thy neighbor" etc, ...but most of all because they understand that the God of the old testament is not to be understood in literal terms.

Not all Christians think that, and what does the fact that their church community teaches them good values have to do with their beliefs being true?

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." ~ Albert Einstein

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.” - Albert Einstein

Einstein did not believe in a personal god, he used the word god a lot, but in the pantheistic sense. To him god = the summation of all that is real. He felt a great sense of awe and reverence for the greatness of this universe. Believe me, Einstein wasn't one of you, he was one of us, a man of science.

Actually Voidwar was spot on. Religion is mysticism, the belief in belief, the notion that wish-thinking can effect matter, the belief in creationism, and often the belief in a supernatural meddling personal deity that hears your thoughts and has a vested interest in the actions of we mortals. I also feel that its child abuse to indoctrinate children in the "you are a catholic child" manner.

I see no benefit from religion what-so-ever. Real strength is being able to let go of the illusions that while comforting, we have no reason to believe them to be true.

Faith is the belief in something for which you have no evidence, often in the fact of contrary evidence. Reason, with sound logic and evidence, always trumps faith.

Last edited:
Dawkins is interested in what is true. but so am I.

Lachean said:
Actually Voidwar was spot on. Religion is mysticism, the belief in belief, the notion that wish-thinking can effect matter, the belief in creationism, and often the belief in a supernatural meddling personal deity that hears your thoughts and has a vested interest in the actions of we mortals. I also feel that its child abuse to indoctrinate children in the "you are a catholic child" manner.
I am a Christian, and none of these things are true about me, nor of any of the Christians that I know.

ps. the corncob remark was not meant, ahem, literally.

Dawkins is interested in what is true. but so am I.

Lets see about that, reply to the rest of my post; POINT BY POINT.

I am a Christian, and none of these things are true about me, nor of any of the Christians that I know.

Webster said:
Main Entry: mys·ti·cism
Pronunciation: 'mis-t&-"si-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics (prophets, christ, the pope?)
2 : the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)
3 a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power

Religion is mysticism:
-The belief in belief; Conducive to good living?
-The notion that wish-thinking can effect matter; Believe in prayer?
-The belief in creationism; Did your god not make the universe?
-Often the belief in a supernatural meddling personal deity that hears your thoughts and has a vested interest in the actions of we mortals; You do believe in god don't you?
-I also feel that its child abuse to indoctrinate children in the "you are a catholic child" manner; You've never met a Christian who calls his Children Christian? Who has effected their beliefs?

I'm starting to think its you who doesn't understand religion, let alone Christianity. I always thought to be Christian you had to at least believe in the god Yahweh, supposed creator of the universe, and believe that he hears your prayers. I also thought you people were inclined to want to "save people" including your children. And also in my experience, most of you believe faith is a virtue. That your beliefs are comforting.

I think you're being dishonest, with either me or yourself. So reply to my post, answer all that above in bold and then tell me what you believe, and why you believe it. We'll see how much you care about truth.

Lachean said:
We'll see how much you care about truth.
ok, I'll be happy to point out how you've assumed various things about my beliefs, and about how Dawkins mischaracterizes religion when he speaks about it in purely literal/logical terms, when I have a little more time, later... or how about a private debate? it would be good to get all the way into it, uninterrupted by voidwar's antics, et al.

I smell a Cop out

ok, I'll be happy to point out how you've assumed various things about my beliefs

I've made no assumptions, everything I said is true about religion, and Christianity. Whether you're a Christian in any sense I know of is still up for debate, because to be honest; Without a god, prayer, and creation I don't see whats left other than arbitrary rules, savagery, and the falsification of morality.

About how Dawkins mischaracterizes religion when he speaks about it in purely literal/logical terms

Whats wrong with logic? He also speaks in metaphor, and addresses the parables.

when I have a little more time, later... or how about a private debate? it would be good to get all the way into it, uninterrupted by voidwar's antics, et al.

:roll: thats twice you evaded my actual arguments. What reason is there to post about an upcoming post. Post when you're able, and bring your A game.

Not interested in a private debate; heading to my night class right now. Address my arguments (all of them) here, if you're capable.

Last edited:
well, ok, I lied. I didn't respond to your post in full, earlier, not because I didn't have time. it was because I wasn't feeling generous. of course I'm capable of pointing out how you misrepresent what I say, over and over. the issue is not my honesty. the issue is in fact your relationship with "the truth."

for example: when you say, "None of these quotes represent a misunderstanding about religion." ... it's not quite the same as when I said, "he looks at religion in literal terms." is it? my quotes were in fact me backing up that statement. so when you misinterpret, and I point out how, I need to spend my valuable time doing so. it gets old. especially when I just got done spending all afternoon with TOT, etc.

I'm not really interested in your bully boy "if you're capable" bullshit invective. If you're capable, you'll debate me in a private debate, and we'll discuss Dawkins. have I made myself clear? I hope so. it's convenient for you to lay down the law and insist I meet you on your terms. no, you'll meet me on mine. this is the O'Reilly vs Dawkins thread. it's obvious that you and I seem to want this into something more. a private debate would be a more suitable forum. that would be the, ahem, logical next step.

the topic can be "is Dawkins wrong about religion?" that's my simple suggestion. feel free to make another, if you're capable. and we'll start with your post and I'll even go point by point with tit-for-tat Lacheanesque one-liners and insults, if you like.

ie., if you're capable.

No. Science to me and most people is neutral. What people make of the findings is the problem. Creationisms believe that missing evidence is proof that the only reasonable explanation is an "Intelligent Designer". Dawkins opinion on there being a God is in some ways related to evolution but they're not one and the same.

uninterrupted by voidwar's antics, et al.

Got Issues ?

kleenex.jpg

Get Tissues.

well, ok, I lied. I didn't respond to your post in full, earlier, not because I didn't have time. it was because I wasn't feeling generous.

:shock: Total Shocker!

As for the underlined, generous? You've given me NOTHING I haven't already heard; Just about of unsupported claims about Dawkins, and some crazy version of Christianity.

Of course I'm capable of pointing out how you misrepresent what I say, over and over. the issue is not my honesty. the issue is in fact your relationship with "the truth."

So instead of another post telling me about how you're going to post, now you're telling me that you're capable? What an utter waste of time, can my expectations get any worse?

for example: when you say, "None of these quotes represent a misunderstanding about religion." ... it's not quite the same as when I said, "he looks at religion in literal terms." is it? my quotes were in fact me backing up that statement. so when you misinterpret, and I point out how, I need to spend my valuable time doing so. it gets old.

So you agree these quotes don't show that he is, as you said, confused about religion. Well then post some quotes that support your claim that he is confused.

Because this "literal terms" argument is a weak one that I have debunked, and you have offered NO counter-argument.

I'm not really interested in your bully boy "if you're capable" bullshit invective. If you're capable, you'll debate me in a private debate, and we'll discuss Dawkins. have I made myself clear? I hope so. it's convenient for you to lay down the law and insist I meet you on your terms.

no, you'll meet me on mine.

I insisted on you meeting me on my terms? What terms? To defend your claims? Insisting on using the thread to address the topic? The terms being for you to address my arguments? This is so unreasonable that now you presume to set the terms?

Wow... you're some character. I'm not interested in a private debate. So far you've demonstrated no challenge to entice me. Propose an argument that I haven't heard of, or at least one Dawkins hasn't ALREADY addressed in his book, and perhaps I'll consider taking the time.

The only term I requested was a point-by-point reply on everything I said, not dodging or conveniently annoying anything that could be detrimental to your argument. I guess that was too much to ask for, to a guy who claims to care about truth.

this is the O'Reilly vs Dawkins thread. it's obvious that you and I seem to want this into something more. a private debate would be a more suitable forum. that would be the, ahem, logical next step.

Something more? Don't presume to tell me what I want. You could have satisfied my needs by answering me 3 posts ago. We're not taking this relationship to "the next level," I barely know ya ;)

the topic can be "is Dawkins wrong about religion?" that's my simple suggestion. feel free to make another, if you're capable. and we'll start with your post and I'll even go point by point with tit-for-tat Lacheanesque one-liners and insults, if you like.

ie., if you're capable.

:roll: I already asked you to support your claim that he is indeed wrong. The burden of proof is on you, I've stated my arguments and debunked all of yours.

Your move, you've got a lot of back posts to answer to. Which I've long since given up expecting you to. So far you fit the model of a dodge-artist.

Last edited:
Lachean said:
I'm not interested in a private debate.
hey voidwar, since Lachean is such a *****, how about it? are you interested in a private debate where we discuss Dawkins and religion? or anyone, for that matter.

Sure I'll Fight You After School, But With No One Around?

hey voidwar, since Lachean is such a *****, how about it? are you interested in a private debate where we discuss Dawkins and religion? or anyone, for that matter.

:rofl If that isn't the intellectual coward calling the kettle black. Pathetic ad-hom; THAT was your move?! It seems my expectations of you were right on the money. How very obvious and pathetic...

"Waaaah, He won't debate me in private where its not as obvious to everyone that I'm a moron who came to a gunfight with a knife, waaaaaah!" Heres your box:
kleenex.jpg

Where's the joy in a debate if I cant expose your tripe for what it is, for all the forum to see. Make your idiocy a matter of public record, put your balls and your faith on the line. Else you don't have the right to call anyone here a *****.

Last edited:
Lachean said:
If that isn't the intellectual coward calling the kettle black. Pathetic ad-hom; THAT was your move?! It seems my expectations of you were right on the money. How very obvious and pathetic...
ditto. I reject your terms. you reject mine. but only yours seem to count. and only I am dodging. :roll:

for examples of ad-homs, please affix your eyes on your own posts, if you're capable of self-examination. (and btw, spirituality could help you out with that).

mods, please move this thread to the basement. baby erupts when other forum members don't do what baby wants them to do, regardless of what the thread is supposed to be about.

:2bigcry:

Lachean said:
Where's the joy in a debate if I cant expose your tripe for what it is, for all the forum to see.
my, aren't you macho? you could do that in a private debate. or, er, could you?

Back
Top Bottom