• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

David Letterman bashes Bill O'Reilly

George_Washington

DP Veteran
Reaction score
United States of America and proud of it!
Political Leaning
Conservative
Bill O'Reilly was on David Letterman tonight. Did anybody see it? Letterman was very rude to Bill. He kept saying things like, "I just don't believe you." And then at the end, Letterman told Bill that people didn't like him. He also then admitted that he didn't even watch The Factor. When O'Reilly asked him, "Then how do you know that people don't like me?" And that is when O'Reilly said, "Well, maybe people don't like you."

I think O'Reilly is three times the man that Letterman is. If I were Bill, I wouldn't go back on his show. This is just another example of the ongoing wave of liberal bias in TV. Jay Leno is biased towards liberals and so is John Stewart. Saturday Night Live has always been very biased. I mean hell, I can't think of one conservative program or television host on mainstream TV.

As conservatives, we need to fight for greater acceptance of our people in mainstream television.

George_Washington said:
Bill O'Reilly was on David Letterman tonight. Did anybody see it? Letterman was very rude to Bill. He kept saying things like, "I just don't believe you." And then at the end, Letterman told Bill that people didn't like him. He also then admitted that he didn't even watch The Factor. When O'Reilly asked him, "Then how do you know that people don't like me?" And that is when O'Reilly said, "Well, maybe people don't like you."

I think O'Reilly is three times the man that Letterman is. If I were Bill, I wouldn't go back on his show. This is just another example of the ongoing wave of liberal bias in TV. Jay Leno is biased towards liberals and so is John Stewart. Saturday Night Live has always been very biased. I mean hell, I can't think of one conservative program or television host on mainstream TV.

As conservatives, we need to fight for greater acceptance of our people in mainstream television.

I saw it. Letterman said he thought "60% of what O'Reilly said was crap" even though EVERY single statement O'Reilly made on that show was fact.

Every accusation Letterman tried making against him, O'Reilly asked him to give an example and Letterman backed away, responding with something like "Well I don't pay attention to those things."

If there are enough people to create a market for conservatively slanted television, I’m sure someone would have capitalized on it already. This dearth of wholesome conservative shows you talk about begs the question of whether there are valid reasons for this.

Befuddled_Stoner said:
If there are enough people to create a market for conservatively slanted television, I’m sure someone would have capitalized on it already. This dearth of wholesome conservative shows you talk about begs the question of whether there are valid reasons for this.

Er... are you saying that FOX News isn't a capitalization on a desire for conservatively-slanted television? :confused:

Last edited:
galenrox said:
Dude, it's true, people don't like O'Reilly. I can't possibly imagine anyone liking O'Reilly

He's got the #1 watched show on cable news.

Engimo said:
Er... are you saying that FOX News isn't a capitalization on a desire for conservatively-slanted television? :confused:

I've stayed far away from mainstream tv ever since they came up with "reality" tv, so I really couldn't comment about its biases. I was going off of GW's comment. Just saying that if mainstream tv programming isn't conservative enough for his tastes, there might be good reasons for it.

galenrox said:
I watch his show religiously, same reason I watch elimidate, cause I enjoy to watch things that **** me off.
Ratings prove nothing. I despise the man, I think he's a terrible imitation of a human being. He's like if you took Lyndon Johnson and took away every positive attribute.

You enjoy watching things that **** you off? That's... interesting.

Still, you can't deny that the guy doesn't have a big conservative following.

He bugs me a lot but I love listening to him respond to some of the critical e-mails he receives.

galenrox said:
Come on, and you don't? I watch Faux News all the time, cause it's ridiculous, and it reminds me that, no matter how bad of I person I am, I could still be worse!

You've got to admit he is quite the douchebag!

Half a year ago or so I listened to Air America radio but that didn't last long, I got way too pissed off at the **** they spewed. The only talk radio I listen to anymore is conservative, not because I take it very seriously but it fits my views (usually on Iraq) better and it's kind of comedic relief for me. Personally, I tend to avoid watching stuff that makes me mad.

He can be a douche bag at times, but he's not THAT bad (except when he obsesses over the "War on Christmas").. that's just MHO though.

galenrox said:
come on, he's a douche.
Air America sucks, but so does conservative talk radio. I listened to ABC News radio, which is heavily conservative. At one point a lady called up and very politely suggested that maybe Iraq wasn't the right war, to which the host responded "How...HOW IN THE HELL could Iraq not be the right war? No, nevermind, you're an idiot", and then hung up on her. That's when I decided conservative radio was not for me.

Never listened to ABC radio.. but my guess is that was an extreme case. Rush, as ridiculous as he can be, never pulls any **** like that. The guy can be downright hilarious at times, but that might just be me cuz I'm a sucker for some good old fashioned democrat bashing.

The Real McCoy said:
Never listened to ABC radio.. but my guess is that was an extreme case. Rush, as ridiculous as he can be, never pulls any **** like that. The guy can be downright hilarious at times, but that might just be me cuz I'm a sucker for some good old fashioned democrat bashing.

Ya I like Rush he's spot on about the liberal agenda and he doesn't cut people off the air if they disagree with him he actually debates them, he had me cracking up today when a caller started talking about the Bilderbergers and then Rush said you can't forget about the Rothschilds and the Illuminati and the guy actually thought that Rush was taking him seriously, he can be a bit over the top sometimes but I think it's just in response to the liberal nut jobs he's always got calling him. As for O'reilly I read his book it was pretty good but on his show he talks to much about non-issues like the war on christmas and **** like that.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Ya I like Rush he's spot on about the liberal agenda and he doesn't cut people off the air if they disagree with him he actually debates them, he had me cracking up today when a caller started talking about the Bilderbergers and then Rush said you can't forget about the Rothschilds and the Illuminati and the guy actually thought that Rush was taking him seriously, he can be a bit over the top sometimes but I think it's just in response to the liberal nut jobs he's always got calling him. As for O'reilly I read his book it was pretty good but on his show he talks to much about non-issues like the war on christmas and **** like that.

I nominate this post for the longest run-on sentence of the year award.

Rush is a hypocritical demagogue, and he really doesn't deserve to have a following. I don't listen to Air America or any of the conservative radio shows because I think listening to only broadcasts that support your ideology is dangerous, and leads to groupthink and intellectual apathy.

The only talk radio I listen to anymore is conservative, not because I take it very seriously but it fits my views (usually on Iraq) better and it's kind of comedic relief for me. Personally, I tend to avoid watching stuff that makes me mad.

I think this is a very dangerous attitude to have. If you only listen to things that agree with your established position, it makes you all the less likely to be capable of honest, two-sided debate over issues.

I have some important questions, which wraps this up into a larger picture...

Why have someone on your show that you don't like and are going to vilify?...

I could understand if this was a political forum where you come to speak your peice knowing you'll get stuff thrown back your way, but this wasn't the time nor place...It's a talk show...Why throw lighthearted questions and puff-pieces to the multiple celebrities with criminal records but then chastise someone else to cause controversy?...If Letterman has done that with the Liberal side, it would both even things out AND make it doubly wrong...

galenrox said:
why not? If I had a TV show and was presented an opportunity to publicly explain to o'reilly how much of a douchebag he is, I would in a second!
It that was your purpose for a show, I would endorse it...

But would you consider DL's show one that does that?...Isn't it supposed to be comedy and lightheartedness?

If I were to sit down, turn on the tube and hear, "Welcome to the POliTical Bashfest!...Tonight's guest...Bill O'Reilly...and now, here's your host...Mr. 2-inch himself...galenrox!", I'd EXPECT you to go after him...I'm sure he'd expect it too...

But if I were to sit down, turn on the tube and hear, "Late Night with David Letterman...Tonight's guest...Bill O'Reilly"...The LAST thing I'd expect is DL going into "attack mode"...Thus the time and place for everything...

galenrox said:
And by the way, you hear that knocking on your door? That's my dick, it's rolled itself out of my pants and all the way to Pennsylvania, it's there to strangle you!

:rofl
Oh my god, the lengths guys will go to protect their reputation.

As for the subject of this thread, I daresay Mr. O'Reilly has taken a few people by surprise on his comedy show. I suspect that was the point Letterman was trying to make. And hey that's funny. :mrgreen:

To quote the illustrious Missouri Mule, "What's good for the goose, is good for the gander." This one keeps coming in handy.

The Real McCoy said:

So what?

Jerry Springer had the #1 talk show. :roll:

People watch because he's controversial not because he's educational. And believe me, O'Reilly knows it. It's just as much of a skit as SNL. Of couse, only hidden under the assumption that it's news. :roll:

mixedmedia said:
:rofl
Oh my god, the lengths guys will go to protect their reputation.

As for the subject of this thread, I daresay Mr. O'Reilly has taken a few people by surprise on his comedy show. I suspect that was the point Letterman was trying to make. And hey that's funny. :mrgreen:

To quote the illustrious Missouri Mule, "What's good for the goose, is good for the gander." This one keeps coming in handy.

I wonder if it wasn't a situation where Letterman's producers booked O'Reilly, Letterman's informed after the fact. Letterman doesn't like the guy but thinks "what the heck, have the guy come on and I'll tell him what a lying d**k I think he is. If nothing else my show will get some publicity." I'm fairly certain if Dave didn't want someone on his show they wouldn't be on his show. But I doubt every guest is ran by him prior to booking either.

galen, We had a small tremor here in the northwest early this morn. I thought it was just another generated by the geologic activity of Mt. St. Helen's...now I know it was just your penis headed to Pa. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll alert the media.

So Letterman gave O'Reilly a taste of his own medicine. Personally, no matter how much I cannot stand someone, I don't like to see them belittled. When people ask Bush a tough question, I feel sorry for him when he comes up with one of his poorly-worded answers--the poor guy.

I have watched O'Reilly in the morning, as he is on from 4am to 5am, and I am up and getting ready for work at that time. I think he is an a$$hole. Anyone who doesn't agree with him, he will belittle. He claims to be religious, but then exudes hate towards anyone who doesn't agree with him or is a member of the democrat or liberal party. Hence, my finding him to be a total jerk.

Regardless, no matter who is being belittled, it is disappointing to think that people LIKE watching someone treat an entire political party like crap.

George_Washington said:

I consider O'Reilly a 21st Century Joe McCarthy. He's a race-bater, culture war flamer and sex offender.

No wonder he's Cable News' #1 show. :roll:

Middleground said:
So what?

Jerry Springer had the #1 talk show. :roll:

People watch because he's controversial not because he's educational. And believe me, O'Reilly knows it. It's just as much of a skit as SNL. Of couse, only hidden under the assumption that it's news. :roll:

galenrox said people don't like him and he didn't know how anyone could.

Sorry but you don't have a #1 watched show if nobody likes you. Believe it or not, there are people that like him.

Letterman carved O'Reilly a new a-hole, no two ways about it. For starters, O'Reilly started in on his bogus "War on Christmas" jihad, and Letterman had the cojones to say what no other network TV personality has dared: the War on Christmas is a fiction designed to agitate folks. (A Leno re-run the other night showed that the competition bought the anti-Christmas hooey hook, line, and sinker.) Then Letterman called O'Reilly for his months-long campaign of vilification against Cindy Sheehan, again being the first major network voice to call a smear a smear.

Of course, the wing-nuts are up in arms. How dare anyone voice on TV legitimate opinions in opposition to their blessed vitriol? I say, thank you David Letterman for standing up and saying what needed to be said!

The Real McCoy said:

That is because people Love to Hate him. He is a prick. Fox news is so politically biased its comical. Sometimes I watch it, because I actually can't stand him. Why do people watch Judge Judy? She is a witch, but it is fun to watch.

LOL, that was the classic liberal attack, no facts, no rationale, no apparent reason for the slander and smear, just pure hatred at it's base. Letterman just showed how uneducated, and ignorant he is on the subject of politics in general, what a clown.:rofl

hipsterdufus said:
Letterman carved O'Reilly a new a-hole, no two ways about it. For starters, O'Reilly started in on his bogus "War on Christmas" jihad, and Letterman had the cojones to say what no other network TV personality has dared: the War on Christmas is a fiction designed to agitate folks.

It wasn't about the War on Christmas itself, it was the fact that O'Reilly gave several examples of public schools changing words to songs or banning certain colors and Letterman dismissed him and said "I don't believe you. I think you're making that up."

hipsterdufus said:
(A Leno re-run the other night showed that the competition bought the anti-Christmas hooey hook, line, and sinker.) Then Letterman called O'Reilly for his months-long campaign of vilification against Cindy Sheehan, again being the first major network voice to call a smear a smear.

As bad as I feel, or FELT, for Cindy Sheehan, she's made some very inappropriate comments and done some very inappropriate things. O'Reilly brought up the point of how OTHER mothers feel when they see/hear some of the things she does/says and how it undermines the cause that THEIR children died fighting for.

aps said:
So Letterman gave O'Reilly a taste of his own medicine. Personally, no matter how much I cannot stand someone, I don't like to see them belittled. When people ask Bush a tough question, I feel sorry for him when he comes up with one of his poorly-worded answers--the poor guy.

I have watched O'Reilly in the morning, as he is on from 4am to 5am, and I am up and getting ready for work at that time. I think he is an a$$hole. Anyone who doesn't agree with him, he will belittle. He claims to be religious, but then exudes hate towards anyone who doesn't agree with him or is a member of the democrat or liberal party. Hence, my finding him to be a total jerk.

Regardless, no matter who is being belittled, it is disappointing to think that people LIKE watching someone treat an entire political party like crap.

You're too nice aps.

alphieb said:
That is because people Love to Hate him. He is a prick.

Riiiiight. All those parents who buy his book for their kids do it because they hate him and they want their kids reading something written by a prick. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom