• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

David Bowie would have been 75 years old on January 8th

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Tell us your memory of David Bowie, why you loved him or not and which is your favorite song (songs) by him. Let us celebrate one of the most versatile and long lasting geniuses of modern music. From his persona as Ziggy Stardust to his hard rock phase with Tin Machine, his electronic phase and his pop rock anthems. I loved a lot of his songs (just not that big of a fan of his "dancing in the street" with Big Lips ;) ).

What I remember most of him is that artist came and went, had success and no success but David Bowie was a star all through his career, had hits in every decade that he made music after 1970. Whether it was China Girl, Let's Dance, Ashes to Ashes, Rebel Rebel, etc. etc. etc. etc.

One of my favorite songs is and remains

The man was an artistic genius.

I first saw David Bowie in the movie Labyrinth when I was but a youngster and I really dug his unique look but was never really introduced to his music until I was older and could appreciate it better. I also love his and Iman's story - so sweet and you could just feel how connected they were to each other.

I first saw David Bowie in the movie Labyrinth when I was but a youngster and I really dug his unique look but was never really introduced to his music until I was older and could appreciate it better. I also love his and Iman's story - so sweet and you could just feel how connected they were to each other.
He was an exiting person, I don't know how he did it but he made you feel the music when he sang.

Rick Wakeman, great keyboardist for Yes, played quite a bit with Bowie. He said he'd do things like suddenly pick up a 12-string guitar and bang-out the tune he was after them to follow. A difficult instrument to play, Wakeman said he played it like a master. Stones drummer Charlie Watts, though, was surprised at the outpouring of affection and musical respect when Bowie died, saying “I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs. But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius,”. IMO, he was a helluva talent and more an entertainer than just a singer/songwriter/musician. Anywho, you might want to try the movie "Gunslinger's Revenge" with David Bowie and Harvey Keitel. Didn't exactly get rave reviews, but Bowie did a great Western cowboy accent.

Rick Wakeman, great keyboardist for Yes, played quite a bit with Bowie. He said he'd do things like suddenly pick up a 12-string guitar and bang-out the tune he was after them to follow. A difficult instrument to play, Wakeman said he played it like a master. Stones drummer Charlie Watts, though, was surprised at the outpouring of affection and musical respect when Bowie died, saying “I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs. But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius,”. IMO, he was a helluva talent and more an entertainer than just a singer/songwriter/musician. Anywho, you might want to try the movie "Gunslinger's Revenge" with David Bowie and Harvey Keitel. Didn't exactly get rave reviews, but Bowie did a great Western cowboy accent.
Stones Drummer, well that says a lot. They were living on their old music and really did not produce anything of great importance after their great years. Bowie however kept making brilliant music. To me Bowie was a musical genius, from day one until almost his death. The Stones last number 1 single in the UK was in 1969.

Bowie had a number one in 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1985. He was a great singer and someone I would go and see year in and year out, personally I wouldn't even to go to see the Stones if I had free tickets. I would give them away to a real fan.

Now if I would have had a ticket to the Beatles I would never ever ever give them up. The same with Pink Floyd, old Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Slayer, etc. etc. etc. etc.

My favorite song (really my one true classic for me personally) would be Paint it Black. For a drummer like Watts to say David Bowie was not a genius is just pure stupidity or jealousy because Bowie had more talent in his left pinkie than Watts had in his entire body.

Stones Drummer, well that says a lot. They were living on their old music and really did not produce anything of great importance after their great years. Bowie however kept making brilliant music. To me Bowie was a musical genius, from day one until almost his death. The Stones last number 1 single in the UK was in 1969.

Bowie had a number one in 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1985. He was a great singer and someone I would go and see year in and year out, personally I wouldn't even to go to see the Stones if I had free tickets. I would give them away to a real fan.

Now if I would have had a ticket to the Beatles I would never ever ever give them up. The same with Pink Floyd, old Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Slayer, etc. etc. etc. etc.

My favorite song (really my one true classic for me personally) would be Paint it Black. For a drummer like Watts to say David Bowie was not a genius is just pure stupidity or jealousy because Bowie had more talent in his left pinkie than Watts had in his entire body.

Yeah. I always liked Watts' drumming. But his Bowie comment turned me off. At least he didn't think too much of himself.

First concert I ever went to was Bowie. My parents hated him, lol.

My parents would not have been able to process who/what he was to get to any point of hate. To paraphrase, some producer was going to meet with Bowie and asked the guy who set up the meeting how would he know who in the room was Bowie: "Easy. He's the shortest guy, with flaming red hair, translucent skin, wearing makeup and clothes any drag-queen would envy."

Back
Top Bottom