• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daughter Seeking To Evict 92-Year Old Father From House He Built

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I don't see how this woman can look herself in the mirror. Absolutely heartbreaking.

A 92-year-old veteran will be evicted from the house he built after his daughter rejected an offer to buy the home for above market value.

In February, John "Jack" Potter's daughter served notice to evict him from the home he built in Zaleski, Ohio, 56 years ago. An appeal court determined the eviction would stand.

Janice Cotrill allegedly used her power of attorney privileges to transfer the deed of the home to her name.

Sun News : War vet, 92, to be evicted from house he built after daughter rejects offer

I don't see how this woman can look herself in the mirror. Absolutely heartbreaking.

A 92-year-old veteran will be evicted from the house he built after his daughter rejected an offer to buy the home for above market value.

In February, John "Jack" Potter's daughter served notice to evict him from the home he built in Zaleski, Ohio, 56 years ago. An appeal court determined the eviction would stand.

Janice Cotrill allegedly used her power of attorney privileges to transfer the deed of the home to her name.

Sun News : War vet, 92, to be evicted from house he built after daughter rejects offer
You have to be careful who you grant those powers to. It's a real shame that man's own daughter would do this, I can't think of anything more horrid than one's own child turning on them.

You have to be careful who you grant those powers to. It's a real shame that man's own daughter would do this, I can't think of anything more horrid than one's own child turning on them.

Yep. but if I were to read between the lines, my guess is she is trying to force him into a nursing home after he refused to go voluntarily.

I believe in fate and she'll get her's. I took my aging mother into my home when she was in her late 80s, immobile and unable to speak, and I looked after her with the occasional help of one of my brothers and homecare angels who came in daily because when she could talk she told me she never wanted to go into a home - I looked after my father too when he was dying. I honored those wishes because my parents gave everything they had and all of their energy and time to myself and my three brothers and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I'd done otherwise.

Like you, I will never understand people who can do things like this woman is doing.

Yep. but if I were to read between the lines, my guess is she is trying to force him into a nursing home after he refused to go voluntarily.
Which is still messed up. Those folks more than earned the right to make their own decisions, I can understand if he can't live on his own or needs 'round the clock medical care, but the guy looks fine to me.

Which is still messed up. Those folks more than earned the right to make their own decisions, I can understand if he can't live on his own or needs 'round the clock medical care, but the guy looks fine to me.

Well when I have encountered people who tried that, in their mind they were doing the right thing. In my mind, they were just trying to shove mom or pops onto somebody else so they wouldn't have to think about them. I helped one little lady fight her daughter for 3 1/2 years on this. The woman was in her 90's and still push mowed her grass. She eventually got sick and died, but until she did, she was a spirited woman who wouldn't take crap from nobody.

Don't know the whole story, but on the face of it seems most appalling.

If she's trying to get him into a nursing home because that's what she thinks he needs, maybe she means well.

If she's just trying to get the house, she's several notches below scum.

I always press it heavily upon my clients who want to put their house in their kids' names to reserve a life estate just to block this sort of crap.

Well when I have encountered people who tried that, in their mind they were doing the right thing. In my mind, they were just trying to shove mom or pops onto somebody else so they wouldn't have to think about them. I helped one little lady fight her daughter for 3 1/2 years on this. The woman was in her 90's and still push mowed her grass. She eventually got sick and died, but until she did, she was a spirited woman who wouldn't take crap from nobody.
I do understand that, sometimes it really is about keeping those folks with us longer, but then that sacrifices the person's dignity, ability to make their own choices, and really lowers their quality of life. I just don't think it's right to do that to people unless they have a situation where there is no choice, for instance, my grandfather was still running a tractor on his property and using heavy equipment before he passed, we were worried about finding him in the field after a horrific accident, but it didn't happen and he would have hated to be restricted for no other reason than to make us feel better. We more than respected his decisions in the latter regard.

It doesn't really say much about the status of his health. He might be unable to walk, bathe himself or go to the bathroom on his own anymore, so perhaps the daughter thinks he would be better off in a nursing home type of situation. As sad as that is and as much as the old people hate to go there, that is sometimes the only viable option for people.

It doesn't really say much about the status of his health. He might be unable to walk, bathe himself or go to the bathroom on his own anymore, so perhaps the daughter thinks he would be better off in a nursing home type of situation. As sad as that is and as much as the old people hate to go there, that is sometimes the only viable option for people.
My thing is I would think if that was a factor it would be very important to the story. There may well be a reason she is trying to get him help, but it seems more to me from reading the story the first two or three times that she is trying to get value out of his property and "to hell with him". The pictures I saw of him reminded me of my own grandfather, guy looked like he was self sufficient and ambulatory, if it is the case that she is trying legitimately to help that is definitely understandable, if she thinks it's an inconvenience that he still lives in his own home there is a special place in hell for her.

There is always two sides to every coin.

I rarely just assume that a news report is accurately reporting the 'whole' story.

She could be a bitch.

She could have a hidden motive for the old guy's benefit.

Or the guy could be a dick who molested/beat her mercilessly when she was little and consequently does not give a sh@t about him.

Or a thousand other scenarios.

Besides, my level of respect for most news organizations to accurately report ANY news is staggeringly low.

Last edited:
My thing is I would think if that was a factor it would be very important to the story. There may well be a reason she is trying to get him help, but it seems more to me from reading the story the first two or three times that she is trying to get value out of his property and "to hell with him". The pictures I saw of him reminded me of my own grandfather, guy looked like he was self sufficient and ambulatory, if it is the case that she is trying legitimately to help that is definitely understandable, if she thinks it's an inconvenience that he still lives in his own home there is a special place in hell for her.

Well I have a friend who's grandmother is 79 years old, and she still has her wits about her, but she can't walk anymore because she has such a bad case of degenerative joint disease in her spine. Because she also has COPD and diabetes, they won't even attempt to operate, so this poor woman will never walk again.

They had been trying to keep her at home with friends, family and a visiting nurse coming into the home, because she WANTS to be at home and does not want to go to a nursing home, but she keeps trying to get up and walk, and she keeps falling down.

There is just no way this would work out, keeping this woman at home unless they could afford to have someone there with her 24/7, which they cannot, and their insurance will pay for a nursing home, so that is where she will be going unfortunately.

I'm not sure about this particular situation, but I know that these situations are tough as hell and I don't like passing judgment on the family member who makes this decision because it's certainly not easy for anyone involved . . . in a normal situation that is. Again, I'm not sure what is going on with this one. I just want people to understand that sometimes there really aren't any other options.

Well I have a friend who's grandmother is 79 years old, and she still has her wits about her, but she can't walk anymore because she has such a bad case of degenerative joint disease in her spine. Because she also has COPD and diabetes, they won't even attempt to operate, so this poor woman will never walk again.

They had been trying to keep her at home with friends, family and a visiting nurse coming into the home, because she WANTS to be at home and does not want to go to a nursing home, but she keeps trying to get up and walk, and she keeps falling down.

There is just no way this would work out, keeping this woman at home unless they could afford to have someone there with her 24/7, which they cannot, and their insurance will pay for a nursing home, so that is where she will be going unfortunately.

I'm not sure about this particular situation, but I know that these situations are tough as hell and I don't like passing judgment on the family member who makes this decision because it's certainly not easy for anyone involved . . . in a normal situation that is. Again, I'm not sure what is going on with this one. I just want people to understand that sometimes there really aren't any other options.
Sure, and I do agree with your take. My own instincts are this lady is trying to move the property, I think another article stated she was in process of looking for purchasers.

Sure, and I do agree with your take. My own instincts are this lady is trying to move the property, I think another article stated she was in process of looking for purchasers.

I can't argue with that, because things like that happen too.

I can't argue with that, because things like that happen too.
Like I said, if it truly is that her father needs help I understand. If she is trying to take his property from him in his last days, she's the lowest of the low.

Like I said, if it truly is that her father needs help I understand. If she is trying to take his property from him in his last days, she's the lowest of the low.

:agree She would be a complete loser in that case.

Certainly. But I don't think it helps her cause to remain completely silent and not have her side of the story heard.

Certainly. But I don't think it helps her cause to remain completely silent and not have her side of the story heard.

If "her cause" is to be liked by the internet, then you're definitely correct

But she may be trying to get her dad the help he needs, but refuses.

My mom was acting a bit curious, so I went down to FL where she was living and spent some time with her. Though people who didn't know her would not think anything was wrong with her, it didn't take long for me to realize that she was very ill with Alzheimer's. And she was driving around, cooking, and doing all sorts of things, that for normal people is no problem, but for her were things that not only put herself in danger, but also put others at risk.

She could have caused a terrible car accident, or burned down her apt (and all the other apts in her building), etc. Fortunately, I was able to get here to move in with me in NYC and I could afford to stop working to care for her. Most people can't afford to do that, nor can they afford to hire people to watch their parents 24/7. In addition, many people in that condition refuse to have "strangers" in their house.

While the story does sound bad on its' face, one thing stuck out to me - she refused to take a very generous above market offer on the property. If she were after money, I would think that she would have grabbed the deal.

But she didn't.

Apparently she did make a counter-offer price that would have included her legal fees so it is hard to know what she was up to.

If she were after money, I would think that she would have grabbed the deal.

But she didn't.

An appraisal valued the home at $47,000 plus land worth $2,830 and an offer was made, ABCNews reported. Cottrill rejected the offer with a counter-offer of $85,000 plus legal fees.

A second offer of $60,005.23 was rejected outright, ABCNews reported siting court documents that state "They find the offer unacceptable and decline the same."

If she's trying to get him into a nursing home because that's what she thinks he needs, maybe she means well.

If that were the case then she wouldn't have made a counter-offer of $85k.

I would burn that house down before I gave it to a bitch of a daughter like that.

If that were the case then she wouldn't have made a counter-offer of $85k.

Oh, I don't know about that

It could be like saying "Sure I want to sell my iPhone. You can have it for $1,000,000"

IOW, she may be making an offer that anyone could refuse. Also, a seller doesn't have to sell, even if someone agrees to their offer

Back
Top Bottom