• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Data breach affects all California CCP holders

Artymoon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A data breach has exposed the personal information of every person with a California permit to carry a concealed weapon, authorities said Tuesday.

The California Department of Justice suffered the breach as part of the launch of its 2022 Firearms Dashboard Portal, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office, which said it was informed of the leak Tuesday by the California State Sheriffs’ Assn.

“It is unknown exactly how much time the information was accessible,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

So it sounds like every permit holder in the state now has the potential for all of their personal information to be disseminated to whomever. Being as this happened in California, I can't help but think of nefarious intent. Activist hacker? planned breach? coincidence?

Let the random speculation begin!

My vote is that it was no "accident." What happens next is anyone's guess.

That's going to be a very short list.
While California will have a lower percentage of CCW holders than free states, most counties are already shall issue. It's just the SF and LA areas that are may issue (more accurately may not issue). So even at a low percentage, it's a lot of people.

My personal guess is that it was deliberate to discourage people from applying for CCW licenses. OTOH, the state IT department is legendary for incompetence, so who knows.

1656518594287.png

Hope whom did this is found and held accountable

While California will have a lower percentage of CCW holders than free states, most counties are already shall issue. It's just the SF and LA areas that are may issue (more accurately may not issue). So even at a low percentage, it's a lot of people.

Think you meant to say more dangerous states...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun-deaths-by-state-ranked/49/

Always enjoy helping fellow board members... (y)

A data breach has exposed the personal information of every person with a California permit to carry a concealed weapon, authorities said Tuesday.

The California Department of Justice suffered the breach as part of the launch of its 2022 Firearms Dashboard Portal, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office, which said it was informed of the leak Tuesday by the California State Sheriffs’ Assn.

“It is unknown exactly how much time the information was accessible,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

So it sounds like every permit holder in the state now has the potential for all of their personal information to be disseminated to whomever. Being as this happened in California, I can't help but think of nefarious intent. Activist hacker? planned breach? coincidence?

I have no doubt that most Dems in the state are winking in approval at this "mishap." I can only imagine the breathless outcry from Democrats if the state's list of convicted felons had been released to the public. What about their privacy! Oh the humanity!

I have no doubt that most Dems in the state are winking in approval at this "mishap." I can only imagine the breathless outcry from Democrats if the state's list of convicted felons had been released to the public. What about their privacy! Oh the humanity!
Isn't that already public information?

Paranoid much?

I would go with planned since it's Kalistan.

Isn't that already public information?

Individual convictions of adults are probably publicly available in most states, but you might need to go to the courthouse and pull the physical file, and know who you're looking for ahead of time. That's a far cry from having a publicly available database. If such a thing existed there'd be no need for NICS (which isn't publicly available), or any discussion about the need to improve it.

Reactions: lwf
Data releases such as this and the one in NY a few years ago are a HUGE part of the reason that national registration should never be allowed to happen.

I'll go with Hanlon's razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

This just goes to show what you can do with statistics if you select the numbers that support your position. Note that both of your sources track GUN deaths, so it's not surprising that GUN deaths are lower in a state that does everything it can to discriminate against gun owners and make gun ownership as awkward and expensive as possible. It's like the often quoted statistics that homicides using "assault weapons" went down during the ban in the 90s. Sure, if you hinder ownership of a certain type of gun, the homicides using that type of gun will go down. By the same token, California is low on the list of firearm deaths, but if you rank the states by homicides of all kinds, it ends up 20th, behind 13 states that are shall issue.

I'll go with Hanlon's razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
I'll go with FDR on this one: Nothing in politics happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. -- President Franklin D Roosevelt

It's trivial to get a list of convicted felons in ANY state in the country... We don't have secret trials..

It's trivial to get a list of convicted felons in ANY state in the country... We don't have secret trials..

Really? Ok, do California. See you in 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom