• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

ferrugem

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

About 600 people died in fighting in the Sudan region of Darfur in May, the highest monthly toll since peacekeepers were deployed in 2008, officials say.

Well.. those "peacekeepers" doing just nothing.. the problem is that the world only concerned about the situasion there.. women and children being raped and killed by tortures and the world silente, aspesially the UN, so called all mighty..

The rebels had signed a preliminary peace deal and ceasefire in February.

Reminds me of something :roll:

Hey dude, there are more important things to concern ourselves with...

Alanis Morissette marries in intimate ceremony at home - CNN.com

On a serious note it pains me to see yet another genocide has taken place in the world... but sadly no one cares. Why should they? Doesn't effect anyone here. We have iPhones to buy. Come on everyone, to the Mac Store!!!!

Maybe PBO's boy in Bejing should have brought up China's involvement in Sudan, before he apologized for Arizona's immigration enforcement law. Just sayin'.

Hey dude, there are more important things to concern ourselves with...

Alanis Morissette marries in intimate ceremony at home - CNN.com

On a serious note it pains me to see yet another genocide has taken place in the world... but sadly no one cares. Why should they? Doesn't effect anyone here. We have iPhones to buy. Come on everyone, to the Mac Store!!!!

Its sade that when 600 peaple murdered by torture and no one's care.. but when 9 terrorists killed in action it's THEE HEADLINES.
It's because they black? :roll:

Its sade that when 600 peaple murdered by torture and no one's care.. but when 9 terrorists killed in action it's THEE HEADLINES.

No Jews involved, therefore it is a non issue. In fact it's due to militant Islam trying to kill Christians. Not only is it politically incorrect, but it would put Islam in a bad light.

The reason why western forces do not get involved in African affairs... Somalia 1993.

Yes,, we've all seen the movie...

No Jews involved, therefore it is a non issue. In fact it's due to militant Islam trying to kill Christians. Not only is it politically incorrect, but it would put Islam in a bad light.

It's brobobly not so interesting christians being killed by Islamic radicals..

Sudan or all of Africa in general is in absolute mayhem, murder over there is standard operational procedure besides no one like Americans anymore. I believe the world community is bitching because we stick our noses where it doesn't belong.

Surely, you don't think that Obama is going to go against the Communist-Chinese backed, black Muslims. Do you? Hell no, that ain't gonna happen.

Darfur is muslim on muslim/animist violence.

Specifically it is ethnically Arabic nomadic tribes going against ethnically black african groups in Darfur over access to natural resources like water.

Christians not involved to any degree at all in Darfur

Yes,, we've all seen the movie...

It's brobobly not so interesting christians being killed by Islamic radicals..

Darfur does not have much of a christian population. It is dominated by muslim and animists. South Sudan is the area of Sudan that has a large christian population, not darfur

Wait, Darfur? The place liberals continually bitched about throughout the 2000's? I i figured that place just didn't exist after 2008 when Bush was no longer in office.

In all serious, as I've said before in a thread of Right's, sadly there's no self interest present. The world in general, both the governments and the people, have no issue with "liberating" people. However, to do so and to bare the cost of doing such generally there has to be some kind of self interest tied to it. For the government it gives them a way to justify it to the people, and to themselves, as its always a risk to commit troops as nothing harms public opinion like dead troops. For people its simply short attention spans and instant gratification along with difficulty empathizing; unless there's a way to connect ourselves to them by some culturual or societal thing, or that there's some kind of compelling story that can extend a news cycle for multiple weeks, or it becomes a "trendy" thing to talk about caring about for an extend period of time most people sadly are just not going to have the focus great enough to care in a way that will cause anything to be done.

Well.. those "peacekeepers" doing just nothing.. the problem is that the world only concerned about the situasion there.. women and children being raped and killed by tortures and the world silente, aspesially the UN, so called all mighty..
[/QUOTE]

Well at present the mission consists of "As of December 2008, it has deployed 15,136 total uniformed personnel, including 12,194 troops, 175 military observers, 2,767 police officers, supported by 786 international civilian personnel, 1,405 local civilian staff and 266 United Nations Volunteers"1 Bear in mind that this is a region the size of France.Where do you propose the UN gets the extra troops/equipment from?

1 African Union

which are pretty much useless... the UNAMID is a joke.
The thing is, if it's useless why the UN is not sending there forces? as they are so excited to send the ME.

Lord - If you actially heard, they kidnapping Christian shildren and force them to convert into Islam, its a problem by itself, as it is connected to the war torn area.

Wait, Darfur? The place liberals continually bitched about throughout the 2000's? I i figured that place just didn't exist after 2008 when Bush was no longer in office.

In all serious, as I've said before in a thread of Right's, sadly there's no self interest present. The world in general, both the governments and the people, have no issue with "liberating" people. However, to do so and to bare the cost of doing such generally there has to be some kind of self interest tied to it. For the government it gives them a way to justify it to the people, and to themselves, as its always a risk to commit troops as nothing harms public opinion like dead troops. For people its simply short attention spans and instant gratification along with difficulty empathizing; unless there's a way to connect ourselves to them by some culturual or societal thing, or that there's some kind of compelling story that can extend a news cycle for multiple weeks, or it becomes a "trendy" thing to talk about caring about for an extend period of time most people sadly are just not going to have the focus great enough to care in a way that will cause anything to be done.

I think you're mostly right, Zyph. There's no "what's in it for me" when it comes to poor African countries.

Darfur is muslim on muslim/animist violence.

Specifically it is ethnically Arabic nomadic tribes going against ethnically black african groups in Darfur over access to natural resources like water.

Christians not involved to any degree at all in Darfur

No, the conflict is between Muslims who are of more Arab decent and black Africans who are Christians and animists (traditional religions for the region). The Muslims in the north want to enslave and subjugate the black Africans who are non Muslim. They see the non Muslims as inferior racially and as pagans that must be enslaved as the Koran dictates. The conflict centers around race and religion, with the Arab Muslims wanting to take over a country and enslave the black non Muslims. Christianity is also one of the fastest growing religions in south Sudan as well.

Daufur?

That place is no longer useful now that Obama has achieved the presidency. :roll:

seriously though, its sad how something like this was used as a political football to attack those who were not against the Iraq war only to be tossed aside like yesterday's brittney escapade once thier man was elected.

For me at least, Africa would be an adventurer's paradise.
I wish I could afford to go, even with the danger of some areas, it would totally be worth it.

So while a genocide is being committed, you'd like to go be a tourist and have an adventure? That's nice to know.

Sudan or all of Africa in general is in absolute mayhem, murder over there is standard operational procedure besides no one like Americans anymore. I believe the world community is bitching because we stick our noses where it doesn't belong.

Well, there is one country in Africa where we are sticking our noses in....

Published on 07/06/2010

By Munene Kamau

Leaders opposed to the Proposed Constitution have defended themselves against claims they are opposed to having a constitutional dispensation.

At the same time, the group that took its campaigns to Runyenjes in Embu questioned the interests of the US Government in the Kenyan constitutional affairs, saying President Barack Obama’s administration was pushing the local leadership to adopt the draft.

The Standard | Online Edition :: ‘No’ Team: Why is US interested in our internal affairs?

Now why is Barry wasting time on this?

-- The Muslims in the north want to enslave and subjugate the black Africans who are non Muslim. They see the non Muslims as inferior racially and as pagans that must be enslaved as the Koran dictates --

My experience of African Arabs (lighter skinned Arabs) in places like Northern Nigeria, Sudan etc was that they also saw black muslims as inferior muslims. I personally didn't see too much difference between the hostility and arrogance shown to black muslims or that shown to black christians and animists. That same hostility was also shown by Middle Eastern Arabs like the Lebanese in Africa. I found the Lebanese to be truly horrible arrogant people in Africa.

As to why there's so little publicity, there are so many problems in Northern African countries, very few have much knowledge of Sudan and the complex internal affairs and so few "outsiders" are allowed in. Finally, on "ferrugems" point about the UN - Bashir has China watching his back. It's always useful having a powerful permanent Security Council member heavily involved in protecting all your misdeeds.

Back
Top Bottom