• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daredevil to attempt jumping out of plane at 25,000 feet without a parachute

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Daredevil to attempt jumping out of plane at 25,000 feet without a parachute | Fox News

He's made 18,000 parachute jumps, helped train some of the world's most elite skydivers, done some of the stunts for "Ironman 3." But the plunge Luke Aikins knows he'll be remembered for is the one he's making without a parachute. Or a wingsuit.

Or anything, really, other than the clothes he'll be wearing when he jumps out of an airplane at 25,000 feet this weekend, attempting to become the first person to land safely on the ground in a net.

The Fox network will broadcast the two-minute jump live at 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT) Saturday as part of an hour-long TV special called "Heaven Sent."

Tune in Sat 8 pm (5 pm PDT)- The event will broadcast with a time delay.
Not hard to figure out why.

Assuming he has an oxygen supply, what's the big deal?

Either way he will land whether he hits the net or not.

yeah but that first step can be a real bitch some time

i wish him luck.....

:mrgreen:

I hope that net wasn't made in China ...

Saw this yesterday. The guy is an idiot but maybe they'll name the crater after him.

So this is what a post Roger Ailes Fox News looks like?

Saw this yesterday. The guy is an idiot but maybe they'll name the crater after him.

He wont make much of a crater more like a splat

Assuming he has an oxygen supply, what's the big deal?

Either way he will land whether he hits the net or not.

One is a tad softer than the other.

sounds like they are going to film a Darwin award winner

This actually doesnt sound all that fantastic. He will be wearing enough clothing to use it as a bit of an airbrake, he has the ability to steer to the target, and he will be landing in a large net suspended 20 stories above ground that has been tested numerous times using dummies. It SOUNDS spectacular...but...

This actually doesnt sound all that fantastic. He will be wearing enough clothing to use it as a bit of an airbrake, he has the ability to steer to the target, and he will be landing in a large net suspended 20 stories above ground that has been tested numerous times using dummies. It SOUNDS spectacular...but...

Yep - tested dummies and 1 bounced right out of the net- adjustments made.
Now what could go wrong?

The story says that they tested it with dummies and one of them went right through the net.

IF he hits the net his chances of survival go way up. The net whether it rips or not will slow him down enough that he might survive. I will be surprised if the maniac manages to walk away from this stunt.

Yep - tested dummies and 1 bounced right out of the net- adjustments made.
Now what could go wrong?
Im sure they will drop several more...7-1 success rate isnt bad. Now with what they have learned...

I skydive. This stunt is certainly theoretically doable. His terminal velocity won't be so much that he can't survive the deceleration as long as the net has enough room and elasticity to stretch to accommodate it. Hitting his target is the tricky part. I don't know how big a landing zone we are talking about. But this guy definitely has the experience to make it work.

My guess is he will succeed but I wouldn't go and watch it. The last time I watched a stunt man he died. I was a kid back in the 80s and I was at a demolition derby at the Astrodome in Houston. A man in a barrel was going to drop from the top of the Astrodome and land in a pool of water. Obviously I thought that was badass. I was a kid. Well, the barrel hit the SIDE of the pool and broke open. He was rushed to the hospital and we later learned he died. Here is a link to that story. 35,000 Watch as Barrel Misses Water Tank : 180-Ft. Drop Ends in Stunt Man's Death - latimes

Anyway, it sort of soured my taste for watching stunts.

It's like the guy who jumped from space. They shut off his microphone and popped the explosive bolts that attached him to the craft.

"Jump now, talk later".

Back
Top Bottom