• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daniil Medvedev May Be Banned from Wimbledon Unless He Denounces Putin

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The inquisition gathers steam:

Daniil Medvedev May Be Banned from Wimbledon Unless He Denounces Putin

Daniil Medvedev, the Russian player currently sitting at No. 1 in the ATP rankings, may not be allowed to play at Wimbledon unless he denounces Russian president Vladimir Putin.

That was the situation outlined during a meeting at British Parliament on Tuesday, where sports minister Nigel Huddleston confirmed discussions were taking place to prevent supporters of Putin from entering the world's oldest tennis tournament amid Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.

Russia's tennis teams have already been thrown out of the Davis and Billie Jean King Cup, but Huddleston indicated the government wanted sanctions to go further.

You must say what I want you to say!

You must denounce who I tell you to denounce!

You must denounce when I tell you to denounce!

Your silence is violence!

You no longer have the right to remain silent!

Even if he opposes the rape of Ukraine by his country, it is understandable if he wishes to remain silent.

As a lifelong coward myself, I can well understand his decision.

And I can even understand another Russian athlete who wore a Z on his clothes.

I guess that he wanted to kiss up to the czar. It's dangerous to anger the powers that be.

Yeah, that's weird. They should have just banned them without trying to find a way around to get them back in.

E.g. Germany and Japan weren't invited to Olympics even 3 years after WWII ended.

Just like Nazi Germany in the late 1930s .
Whipped up by Fascist US forces .

They did the same with Covid and saw how timid and pathetic the Sheeple are

Yeah, that's weird. They should have just banned them without trying to find a way around to get them back in.

E.g. Germany and Japan weren't invited to Olympics even 3 years after WWII ended.
because neither existed as sovereign countries at the time.

Just like Nazi Germany in the late 1930s .
Whipped up by Fascist US forces .

They did the same with Covid and saw how timid and pathetic the Sheeple are
why is literally everything related to Nazi Germany? Putin says there trying to denazify Ukraine while everyone is calling Putin Hitler

Where are the real nazis?

The poster called "sanman" yet again goes to bat for Putin, bigtime and bigly. This is what he goes to bat for:

That is what he goes to bat for.

Moderator's Warning:
Graphic image removed

PS: does your DP name have anything to do with this:

Your posts about Russia-Ukraine are ****ing evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
That isn't right. Asking him to denounce his leader in order to compete is so fascist. If they don't want Russians playing, just say so. This is ugly.

Moderator's Warning:
Graphic image removed

I keep looking at this cleaned up phtograph, suspecting their entrails are spilled out the back. A family and a friend. Murdered deliberately. Obvious non-combatants. And despite its horror, it's still so clean, isn't it? Just a little blood on a hand, just a little on the face.

If you sympathize with Putin, may God not have mercy on your soul. It deserves righteous fury. Hell. At least a trillion years in purgatory. This invasion is evil, and nobody made him do it.

The only question should be how close we should get to betting the lives on 8,000,000,000+ human beings against Putin's inclination to fire off rockets. I increasingly feel an emotional urge to demand immediate entry into the war coupled with whatever we think has the best chance of signalling we won't invade/conquer Russia itself. And then my realist and pragmatist selves kick in.

This is evil. How dare anyone defend any part of it.

I would say: let us offer them US citizenship, but let them renounce Russian citizenship as a condition. At least that condition. I would not damn those who hate this evil.

If you sympathize with Putin, may God not have mercy on your soul. It deserves righteous fury. Hell. At least a trillion years in purgatory. This invasion is evil, and nobody made him do it.

Oh how I wish you were right, Person ... but there (VERY likely) is no god, and no hell either.

Of course, all the jesus freaks out there are pounding on the table and bellowing "free will", "he gave man FREE WILL!!!".

Take that BULLSHIT down the road

Like the notion of god, it's all nothing more than wishful thinking and childish fantasy.

We can't go after the little russian hitler cuz he has nukes.

A REAL god would somehow intervene and end this madness ... or better yet, never allowed it to happen in the first place...

Oh how I wish you were right, Person ... but there (VERY likely) is no god, and no hell either.

Of course, all the jesus freaks out there are pounding on the table and bellowing "free will", "he gave man FREE WILL!!!".

Take that BULLSHIT down the road

Like the notion of god, it's all nothing more than wishful thinking and childish fantasy.

We can't go after the little russian hitler cuz he has nukes.

A REAL god would somehow intervene and end this madness ... or better yet, never allowed it to happen in the first place...

I'll say this much. I just read this:

<>​
Hours later, in an address of his own, Biden thanked Zelensky for his “passionate message” and said that it had been “convincing” and “significant.” “This new package on its own is going to provide unprecedented assistance to Ukraine,” Biden said, adding that the inclusion of drones “demonstrates our commitment to sending our most cutting-edge systems to Ukraine for its defense.” Biden has declined to provide Ukraine with fighter jets, even after Poland floated a proposal that would have transferred their Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets, which Ukraine already operates, to U.S. custody so that Washington — not Warsaw — could send them on to Ukraine. The president declined to discuss the jets Wednesday. “I’m not going to comment on that right now,” Biden said. “I’m not going to comment on anything other than what I told you.”​
<cont.>​

Here's the thing: I think we need a clear internal decision on the maximum response and go all-in on it now, immediately, then not budge. Not "they killed more people, here's this". All-in, whatever it is.

We've shattered their economy, but a totalitarian state has many tools at its disposal....all spent at citizen expense. Let's work out what we're willing to do right now, and go all-in on that.

I suspect the fear is pressure to then change their mind, later. Not unreasonable. Nuclear confrontation is a real possibility, and I don't think a single one of these tough-talkin' Biden Haters have asked themselves honestly who they are willing to see rot to death from radiation poisoning.

The poster called "sanman" yet again goes to bat for Putin, bigtime and bigly. This is what he goes to bat for:

Moderator's Warning:
Graphic image removed
Moderator's Warning:

That is what he goes to bat for.

PS: does your DP name have anything to do with this:

Your posts about Russia-Ukraine are ****ing evil.
Moderator's Warning:
Moderator's Warning:

Once again, the poster Mr Person comes out to simply and overtly lie his ass off.

Go figure, it's always something with these propagandist.

He should be denied as, effectively, an enemy alien. He need not denounce Putin, he need only apply for refugee status and/or renounce his citizenship and declare himself a stateless person.

I agree, it is EXTREMELY wrong to demand he mouth words he does not wish to mouth. However, I also believe the free world should no longer welcome any Russian as a guest or resident, unless they wish to apply for refugee status and is no longer a Russian citizen.

I'll say this much. I just read this:

<>​
Hours later, in an address of his own, Biden thanked Zelensky for his “passionate message” and said that it had been “convincing” and “significant.” “This new package on its own is going to provide unprecedented assistance to Ukraine,” Biden said, adding that the inclusion of drones “demonstrates our commitment to sending our most cutting-edge systems to Ukraine for its defense.” Biden has declined to provide Ukraine with fighter jets, even after Poland floated a proposal that would have transferred their Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets, which Ukraine already operates, to U.S. custody so that Washington — not Warsaw — could send them on to Ukraine. The president declined to discuss the jets Wednesday. “I’m not going to comment on that right now,” Biden said. “I’m not going to comment on anything other than what I told you.”​
<cont.>​

Here's the thing: I think we need a clear internal decision on the maximum response and go all-in on it now, immediately, then not budge. Not "they killed more people, here's this". All-in, whatever it is.

We've shattered their economy, but a totalitarian state has many tools at its disposal....all spent at citizen expense. Let's work out what we're willing to do right now, and go all-in on that.

I suspect the fear is pressure to then change their mind, later. Not unreasonable. Nuclear confrontation is a real possibility, and I don't think a single one of these tough-talkin' Biden Haters have asked themselves honestly who they are willing to see rot to death from radiation poisoning.

I am in 100 percent agreement. I never understood the point of graduated confrontation. As you said, determine your ultimate limit and hit the enemy as hard as you can up to that point...there is nothing wrong with hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. Consider it "shock and awe" and see if it works. The problem with graduated response is that the enemy adapts and become accustomed to it, and then another graduated response only allows further adaptation.

Maximum sanctions on every possible person, company, institution, politician in Russia and Belorussia. Maximum military aide and maximized weapons deliveries at the same time. The maximum threshold is obvious, short of when Russia itself would be lost and Putin would want to pull the world down on all with nuclear war.

THAT threshold isn't even attainable under the tools suggested.

Putin wants to turn Ukraine into his colony, and Lukashenka supports him in this. But since the Ukrainians are against it, Putin decided to destroy Ukraine. The Ukrainians are resisting, and the whole world is watching as Russia destroys the cities and villages of Ukraine. I believe that Russian and Belarusian tennis players should be banned from participating in international tournaments.

What difference does it make that they compete without a flag, Russian athletes competed at the Olympics without a flag and there were no problems for them, because everyone knows what country they are from, and if they win, then this is a bonus for Russia or Belarus. In other federations, Russian and Belarusian athletes have been suspended from international competitions, and it is not clear why Russian and Belarusian tennis players continue to play international tournaments.

Moderator's Warning:
Graphic image removed
Syrian War:

According to the SOHR, U.S.-led Coalition airstrikes have killed 12,865 people across Syria, of which: 9,176 dead were ISIL fighters, 374 Al-Nusra Front militants and other rebels, 169 government soldiers and 2,676 civilians. The air strikes occurred in the period between 23 September 2014 and 15 March 2022.

So Wimbledon will decide who is the the 2nd best tennis player?

I keep looking at this cleaned up phtograph, suspecting their entrails are spilled out the back. A family and a friend. Murdered deliberately. Obvious non-combatants. And despite its horror, it's still so clean, isn't it? Just a little blood on a hand, just a little on the face.

The only question should be how close we should get to betting the lives on 8,000,000,000+ human beings against Putin's inclination to fire off rockets. I increasingly feel an emotional urge to demand immediate entry into the war coupled with whatever we think has the best chance of signalling we won't invade/conquer Russia itself. And then my realist and pragmatist selves kick in.

This is evil. How dare anyone defend any part of it.

I would say: let us offer them US citizenship, but let them renounce Russian citizenship as a condition. At least that condition. I would not damn those who hate this evil.
To be honest that picture looks staged.

The lack of panic, or concern by the old guy walking and the one soldier

To be honest that picture looks staged.

The lack of panic, or concern by the old guy walking and the one soldier

Well, if you have some reason to want to completely and utterly discredit yourself in public, you can go on camera and say that you think this man's family were crisis actors.

I wouldn't recommend it. It'd be a kinda evil Trumpy thing to do, and you don't seem to do such things.

The only 'staging' I'd suspect has to do with hiding gore. Ukraine is trying to walk a fine line between showing death and showing death; splintered bones, torn bellies, voided bowels.

The only 'staging' I'd suspect has to do with hiding gore. Ukraine is trying to walk a fine line between showing death and showing death; splintered bones, torn bellies, voided bowels.

The Ukrainians certainly have years of experience hiding gore -- and calling everything 'Russian propaganda' is their quickest way of doing that.

Well, if you have some reason to want to completely and utterly discredit yourself in public, you can go on camera and say that you think this man's family were crisis actors.

I wouldn't recommend it. It'd be a kinda evil Trumpy thing to do, and you don't seem to do such things.

In that photo specifically

There is only some blood on the one man who is down. No blood on the concrete, no evidence of blood on clothing, no holes on the clothing no evidence of impacts wounds.

For that photo specifically, it looks staged.

Are people dieing, yes of course in horrible ways of course. But I doubt that photo is showing the dead.

It does not change that people are dieing but staging things, manipulating photos is done quite often. In the Isreal bombing of Lebanon, extra explosions were added to pictures of Beruit that had real explosions. In the lead up to the first Iraq war the claims of Iraqi soldiers tossing babies out of incubators in Kuwait was a staged event

The goal is to manipulate public opinion and it works

Rather a bit of an overblown reaction, eh wot?

Have you forgotten that "international sports" hasn't been non-political since at least 1936?

Have you forgotten that top Russian athletes have (in fact) been amateurs as much as the old Powell River Pipe Band (which was composed of over 90% of the "security guards" at the McMillan-Bloedell Powell River, BC, paper mill [which recruited its "security guards" at bagpipe competitions around the world]) were amateurs.

However, I will agree that any demand that anyone denounce (or support) any political position before they are allowed to do something is a bit much. The Brits should either ban him (stating specifically that the ban is because of the actions of the Russian government and has nothing whatsoever to do with him personally) or allow him to play (stating specifically that he is being allowed to play because he is NOT a member of the Russian government and, therefore, not responsible for the actions of the Russian government).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom