• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daniel Penny is a hero

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Apparently, the only way for a Soros DA to charge someone with a crime is if they defend themselves.

Daniel Penny is a hero who acted to protect himself and other civilians on a subway.

This isn't a race issue. Jordan Neely was a mentally unstable criminal who had been arrested over 42 times in his life. Anyone that has been on a subway in a major city knows how dangerous it is. Do people have to be assaulted or stabbed first before they are legally allowed to defend themselves?

The sad thing is Daniel Penny is being villanized by the left for acting with bravery. Most people would have done nothing or left with an unstable man threatening people on a subway.

The behavior from the left is absolutely disgusting. Assassinating a man who served this country as a white supremacist and turning Neely into a martyr.

Notice how the vultures use Neely, now deceased, as a political pawn/symbol. Where was New York City to keep Neely off the streets? Why did the system allow Neely to fall through the system?

The man lived a hard and painful life. Now all of a sudden, liberals care about his life? Please.

From my perspective, this incident and the way both sides are digging in illustrates a bigger problem in this country between the left and the right.

I don't see any indication of race being a factor in this but what I saw on the video was excessive force being applied.

I don't see anything that indicates Penny was trying to kill the guy and he was within his right to subdue the threat Neely presented himself as. However the hold was maintained unnecessarily long and it resulted in Neelys death. The DA is absolutely correct to charge Penny.

It should absolutely be left to a jury to decide if it was a crime or an act of self-defense.

What's disheartening is that due to the partisan divide in this country I doubt the guy can get a fair trial and depending on the judge a fair trial and/or sentence.

Let's call a spade a spade. Neely was a violent threat. Penny had every right to neutralize the threat. Once the guy was subdued he should of released his choke hold so Neely could breathe.

And how about using your phone to call 911 instead of videoing the incident. People are morons. People are more interested in posting something on social media than they are in helping a person in trouble out.

Apparently, the only way for a Soros DA to charge someone with a crime is if they defend themselves.

Daniel Penny is a hero who acted to protect himself and other civilians on a subway.

This isn't a race issue. Jordan Neely was a mentally unstable criminal who had been arrested over 42 times in his life. Anyone that has been on a subway in a major city knows how dangerous it is. Do people have to be assaulted or stabbed first before they are legally allowed to defend themselves?

The sad thing is Daniel Penny is being villanized by the left for acting with bravery. Most people would have done nothing or left with an unstable man threatening people on a subway.

The behavior from the left is absolutely disgusting. Assassinating a man who served this country as a white supremacist and turning Neely into a martyr.

Notice how the vultures use Neely, now deceased, as a political pawn/symbol. Where was New York City to keep Neely off the streets? Why did the system allow Neely to fall through the system?

The man lived a hard and painful life. Now all of a sudden, liberals care about his life? Please.
There you go again quacking off with broad brush generalizations.

I don’t consider Daniel Perry a hero. I also don’t believe he should faces charges over the incident. I predict no jury ever convicts him related to the incident.

Does my view, in your opinion, remove me from Left of Center ideology, in other words, did I become a Right Winger?
IMG_0732.png

Pretty sure District Attorney changed plans, succumbed to public outcry instead of convening a Grand Jury, and charged Daniel Penny with 2nd degree manslaughter.

In light of the Defense Fund-raising prowess of Mr. Penny’s team, published details of the incident and the respective known histories of both Mr. Penny and the late Mr. Neely, I continue to feel very confident no jury ever convicts Mr. Penny for Mr. Neely’s death.

They want to make Alpha males extinct.

From my perspective, this incident and the way both sides are digging in illustrates a bigger problem in this country between the left and the right.
Not left and right; the mentally ill and vigilantes. That's the divide. It isn't political.

I don't see any indication of race being a factor in this but what I saw on the video was excessive force being applied.

I don't see anything that indicates Penny was trying to kill the guy and he was within his right to subdue the threat Neely presented himself as. However the hold was maintained unnecessarily long and it resulted in Neelys death. The DA is absolutely correct to charge Penny.

It should absolutely be left to a jury to decide if it was a crime or an act of self-defense.

What's disheartening is that due to the partisan divide in this country I doubt the guy can get a fair trial and depending on the judge a fair trial and/or sentence.

Let's call a spade a spade. Neely was a violent threat. Penny had every right to neutralize the threat. Once the guy was subdued he should of released his choke hold so Neely could breathe.

And how about using your phone to call 911 instead of videoing the incident. People are morons. People are more interested in posting something on social media than they are in helping a person in trouble out.
Neely said he wanted to die. Who did he threaten?

Regardless, calling Penny a hero is sick shit.

I'm sure he was trying to do the right thing, but I just wish he'd thought of a different, less-dangerous way to contain him.
Well at least he didn't pull out a gun a shoot the guy. So theres that.

Neely could have just as quickly pulled a box cutter and slashed some woman's face...................

Denny could have loosened that grip a little earlier..............

Meanwhile violent crimes are increasing everyday in many areas while people cowardly stand back taking videos of the crime.

People are getting seriously injured or killed and people are afraid to help.

A woman got raped on the SEPTA while people sitting within arms length of the woman sat there and watched....................but but but but......they called the cops.

Yes I am sure you loved the video of Penny still choke holding his victim while his eyes were already rolled up into his head. What a hero.

Crime in the NYC subway system continues to fall.

I've ridden the system since I was in high school in the mid-70s. I remember the graffiti covered cars and crime. That's been gone for decades. Sure, you have incidents, but everyone takes the subway.

I would take the 4 train or the D express to Yankee Stadium. I bought an old Leica m4 and would take the subway uptown with a date to take pics at the Botanical Gardens. Right through Spanish Harlem, Harlem, and Washington Heights, no problem ever. We'd go to the Pink Floyd Laser Show at the Hayden Planetarium, no problem.

NYC does not have a major crime problem. You want to take your life in your hands try those 3rd World Country red states.

Neely could have just as quickly pulled a box cutter and slashed some woman's face...................

Denny could have loosened that grip a little earlier..............

Meanwhile violent crimes are increasing everyday in many areas while people cowardly stand back taking videos of the crime.

People are getting seriously injured or killed and people are afraid to help.

A woman got raped on the SEPTA while people sitting within arms length of the woman sat there and watched....................but but but but......they called the cops.

You and I basically agree. If left up to me to decide, I side with Daniel Penny and rule “No Punishment.”

NYC social services can strive to improve treatment for its impoverished mentally ill population. Jordan Neely desperately needed treatment!

Not left and right; the mentally ill and vigilantes. That's the divide. It isn't political.

Neely said he wanted to die. Who did he threaten?

Regardless, calling Penny a hero is sick shit.
If you are unable to be honest about the politics at play, Neely's actions, or why some view what Penny did as heroic, look in the mirror and you will see the face of the problem.

Crime in the NYC subway system continues to fall.

How can you tell.............just because you got through it safe?

NYC intentionally failed to submit crimes statistics.

If you are unable to be honest about the politics at play, Neely's actions, or why some view what Penny did as heroic, look in the mirror and you will see the face of the problem.
Or maybe you could explain it?

Looks like a mentally ill man was killed by a vigilante. Where is the politics?

That you see politics (in everything?) seems to indicate it's your mirror that is faulty. Care to elaborate?

No, I think Penny is a coward, not a hero. Killing mentally ill people is not heroic.

How can you tell.............just because you got through it safe?

NYC intentionally failed to submit crimes statistics.

I posted the latest 2023 crime figures. How'd you miss those? I know you're navy but the sun ain't over the yardarm. Geeze.

Or maybe you could explain it?

Looks like a mentally ill man was killed by a vigilante. Where is the politics?

That you see politics (in everything?) seems to indicate it's your mirror that is faulty. Care to elaborate?

No, I think Penny is a coward, not a hero. Killing mentally ill people is not heroic.
1. Sure looked like the D.A. Braggs went from suggesting a Grand Jury to bypassing a Grand Jury and charging Daniel Penny with 2nd degree manslaughter. I see this as ”politics in play” due to public outcry.

2. I agree Jordan Neely appeared to suffer from untreated mental illness. I hope NYC social services steps up available treatment options for the city’s impoverished mentally ill population.

3. I can’t think of a single Marine who served honorably that I consider a coward.

4. I can agree with characterizing Mr. Penny as a vigilante, not a hero. In the absence of other obvious reasonable alternatives and given the circumstances, I support Mr. Penny’s actions.

5. Unlike Mr. Penny, I never served in Military. Like Mr. Penny, I wandered around a few Central American countries (Costa Rica and Honduras). As a former roughneck tavern owner, I have yoked more than a few necks. Unlike Mr. Penny, no one died as a result of me yoking them. Unlike Mr. Penny, the U.S. Military did not train me to kill.

1. Sure looked like the D.A. Braggs went from suggesting a Grand Jury to bypassing a Grand Jury and charging Daniel Penny with 2nd degree manslaughter. I see this as ”politics in play” due to public outcry.
I'm talking about the incident itself. I have no doubts people politicize everything they get their hands on.

Public outcry is democracy in action. It isn't necessarily political.
2. I agree Jordan Neely appeared to suffer from untreated mental illness. I hope NYC social services steps up available treatment options for the city’s impoverished mentally ill population.

3. I can’t think of a single Marine who served honorably that I consider a coward.
I'm calling the act cowardly. Pardon my miswording. How many men held him down?

4. I can agree with characterizing Mr. Penny as a vigilante, not a hero. In the absence of other obvious reasonable alternatives and given the circumstances, I support Mr. Penny’s actions.
If Neely needed to be subdued, I would agree with that. Penny choked him to death. I do not support Penny choking Neely to death. And I generally don't support vigilante justice.

5. Unlike Mr. Penny, I never served in Military. Like Mr. Penny, I wandered around a few Central American countries (Costa Rica and Honduras). As a former roughneck tavern owner, I have yoked more than a few necks. Unlike Mr. Penny, no one died as a result of me yoking them. Unlike Mr. Penny, the U.S. Military did not train me to kill.
What I see is people glorifying homicide. Kyle Rittenhouse is not a hero, and neither is Penny.

Was this person in trouble, or was he a violent threat?

Was this person in trouble, or was he a violent threat?
Yeah, that's my problem with this. If Neely had been an active shooter, Penny would be a hero. From what I've seen, Neely was simply going off, saying he wanted to die. Didn't say he wanted to take anyone with him that I know of. Who did he threaten?

This is a good question that a jury should be trusted to answer.
You said he was a threat. Share.

I don't see anything that indicates Penny was trying to kill the guy and he was within his right to subdue the threat Neely presented himself as.

Back
Top Bottom