• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Dangerous,' 'unfit,' and 'felony stupid': Jim Mattis on Trump's presidency

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'Dangerous,' 'unfit,' and 'felony stupid': The most revealing quotes from Jim Mattis on Trump's presidency in Bob Woodward's bombshell book

Mattis' reported remarks paint a picture of a president who is unfit for the office and detrimental to American interests.

5f5a5e59e6ff30001d4e8160

9/10/20
Retired Marine Corps Gen. Jim Mattis, who served as President Donald Trump's defense secretary before resigning, has largely kept his thoughts on the commander-in-chief to himself, but Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's book "Rage" offers new insight into his views of the president and this administration.

On dealing with Trump, Mattis said: ""I was often trying to impose reason over impulse. And you see where I wasn't able to, because the tweets would get out there."

On the president's morality, Mattis reportedly said: "The president has no moral compass." (Former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats is said to have agreed, saying: "To him, a lie is not a lie. It's just what he thinks. He doesn't know the difference between the truth and a lie.")

In response to Trump's weakening of alliances, Mattis said: "What we're doing is we're actually showing how to destroy America. That's what we're showing them. How to isolate us from all of our allies. How to take us down. And it's working very well. We are declaring war on one another inside America. It's actually working against us right now."

On a president being tough and keeping the peace, Mattis said: "Not with the current occupant. He doesn't understand. He has no mental framework for these things. He hasn't read."

On Trump's go-it-alone strategy and dismissal of alliances, Mattis said: "It was indefensible. It was jingoism. It was a misguided form of nationalism. It was not patriotism."

On Trump's lasting impact on the country, Mattis said: "This degradation of the American experiment is real. This is tangible. Truth is no longer governing the White House statements.

On his decision to resign, Mattis said: "I was basically directed to do something that I thought went beyond stupid to felony stupid, strategically jeopardizing our place in the world and everything else, that's when I quit."

General Mattis, thankfully for this nation, does not mince his words in assessing President Donald Trump.

The most vile, corrupt, criminal, and soulless president ever.

"The ugliness is the point" falls far short.

Should Mattis speak up in person? Think he will or is he of the Omar Bradley mold?

“I am convinced that the best service a retired general can perform is to turn in his tongue along with his suit and to mothball his opinions.” “If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.” - Omar Bradley

what total ****ing idiots don't know that BY NOW???

'Dangerous,' 'unfit,' and 'felony stupid': The most revealing quotes from Jim Mattis on Trump's presidency in Bob Woodward's bombshell book

Mattis' reported remarks paint a picture of a president who is unfit for the office and detrimental to American interests.

5f5a5e59e6ff30001d4e8160

General Mattis, thankfully for this nation, does not mince his words in assessing President Donald Trump.

I agree with all those quotes; the most poignant being, "The president has no moral compass." (Former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats is said to have agreed, saying: "To him, a lie is not a lie. It's just what he thinks. He doesn't know the difference between the truth and a lie.")

His followers turn a blind eye to everything he does and says even when it's obvious the man has no foundation, no learning, no redeeming qualities whatever. What happened to, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"? In Trump there is nothing, not a molecule of good to build with. :(

all i am.jpg

Last edited:
Should Mattis speak up in person? Think he will or is he of the Omar Bradley mold?

“I am convinced that the best service a retired general can perform is to turn in his tongue along with his suit and to mothball his opinions.” “If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.” - Omar Bradley

If Bradley had served under Trump instead of Eisenhower, his former commanding officer, he might have a different take on it.

If Bradley had served under Trump instead of Eisenhower, his former commanding officer, he might have a different take on it.

I just realized that Omar hadn’t “turned in his tongue” by the time he got to the second sentence!

5f5a5e59e6ff30001d4e8160

I wonder who's words carry more weight among military personnel, Gen. Mattis or Don Trump.
Would this be the first time a Republican incumbent lost the troops votes?

5f5a5e59e6ff30001d4e8160

I don't doubt Mattis' love of America. I can't use a few cherry picked quotes from Mattis' which were compiled by Woodward, and we don't know how, directly, second hand, in what context, to determine Mattis' and Trump's relationship. Woodward clearly doesn't like Trump, he has written a book for the intent of making money. I always am skeptical of those who write a tell all and we know they have a political agenda. I'm also sure that if someone wrote a book about Mattis, or Woodward and were looking for "dirt" there would be some printed. The attitude of the military leaders is Trump is not one of them and doesn't see things the same way. Trump wants to reduce wars and bring troops out of those hotspots, the military is less concerned with doing that. Remember that military advisers pushed us to Vietnam. Nobody is totally innocent. Our problem in America today is so much hate and I blame our politicians for much of it.

I just realized that Omar hadn’t “turned in his tongue” by the time he got to the second sentence!

He did a pretty good job of keeping to himself though. For such a prominent player on the world stage, I had to Google him because I know next to nothing about him.

"What we're doing is we're actually showing how to destroy America. That's what we're showing them. How to isolate us from all of our allies. How to take us down. And it's working very well. We are declaring war on one another inside America. It's actually working against us right now."

This is what the godawful orcs of Trumpism are enabling.

5f5a5e59e6ff30001d4e8160

But he did mince words. He hasn’t said any words outloud matching these words. And he kept quiet for a lot of it.

**** Mattis. Coward.

He did a pretty good job of keeping to himself though. For such a prominent player on the world stage, I had to Google him because I know next to nothing about him.

General Bradley was offshore @ Omaha on D-day and after the first few waves ran into such fierce opposition, he called a halt, which thankfully was only a delay, in subsequent waves. I often try to get into the head of the guys already on the beach when they realize that there is no one following them.

Would this be the first time a Republican incumbent lost the troops votes?

Not sure on how long, but it has been a long time since a Republican incumbent lost the military vote.

Back
Top Bottom